Which is the best  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best

• Norton
    • Mcaffe(or however you say it)
    • Other (prease elaborate)

Virus Protection?

• Content Count:  26

I recommend Avast Antivirus, it's free, and updates in virus database pretty much every day, it also has on access protection for P2P, IM, Web Browing, etc..

And I have a REALLY bad computer and it takes almost NO memory footprint, it also has an option to temporarily disable on access stuff, like for when your playing online..

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DONT GET NORTON!

• Content Count:  1839

Don't use avast. It's a really really bad antivirus.

I recommend Nod32 + firewall

No. If you have a router that you port forward with, (which is nearly all home routers in existence today) you have no, absolutely NO reason to use a firewall. It's just a system hog nowadays.

• Content Count:  3391

The best anti-virus solution is a smart user. Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome. Firefox has an amazing array of addons (Ad block+, No Script, etc). Make sure you know what you're downloading and running.

As far as software goes, AVG is decent. Both Norton and McAfee are crap, unless you get the corporate versions but even those aren't that great. NOD32 and BitDefender are both the best, in my opinion. Kaspersky is a resource hog and I didn't care for it. NOD32 and BD are both lightweight and offer excellent protection.

If you don't want to spend money, get AVG. Personally, I don't run virus software since I just watch what I do and only I use my PC.

Edit: There's also AntiVir Personal, I think it's free, and it's quite good.

Edited by TheVirus

• Content Count:  3391

No. If you have a router that you port forward with, (which is nearly all home routers in existence today) you have no, absolutely NO reason to use a firewall. It's just a system hog nowadays.

Not true. Routers and Windows Firewall only prevent incoming connections, not outgoing. Most trojans and viruses will utilize outgoing connections to contact their host. A firewall like NOD32 or some other derivative will allow you to know exactly what programs are accessing the internet.

Don't assume a router will protect you because it won't forward all the ports, that just stops some incoming attacks from worms and networked viruses, but there are ways around it.

• Content Count:  1839

Not true. Routers and Windows Firewall only prevent incoming connections, not outgoing. Most trojans and viruses will utilize outgoing connections to contact their host. A firewall like NOD32 or some other derivative will allow you to know exactly what programs are accessing the internet.

Don't assume a router will protect you because it won't forward all the ports, that just stops some incoming attacks from worms and networked viruses, but there are ways around it.

i'm not assuming anything, nothing gets on my computer period. and nod32 isnt a firewall btw.

i agree with a few posts above that the best anti virus is a smart user.

Reply to Thread