? servers

? players online

Processor Decision

• Content Count:  1000

That, and the rumor that they're not that great for gaming are both pure bullshit. A single i7 core is better than a single Q9000 core which is better than a single Q6000 cure which is better than a single Pentium core.

Yea, shadowex3 is right. Usually, when they come out with a new architecture or whatever, the new processor is better clock for clock.

• Content Count:  2959

Except for AMD which just can't seem to get it right lately, they keep coming out with processors that aren't competitive in power usage, performance, OR price.

• Content Count:  240

Intel E7400 + 9800GT will get you good fps for a cheap price. It will probably do ~200fps in CSS at 1024x768 with high settings.

Only go Core i7 if you're willing to build an entirely new pc and spend-a-lot. Might as well buy a GTX295 then for an i7.

• Content Count:  2167

Don't bother buying a 9800GT that is just plain stupid, get the 260 GTS at least. If you're on a budget just get a damn 8800GT, because the 9 series is just a buffed up 8 series that is barely buffed up (i run a 8800gt, works perfectly fine on gta4, and all source)

As for a processor, I run a OC'd Q6600 at 3.2GHz (its awesome), but if you're only playing source save some $$$ and buy a core 2 duo instead of a quad, quads are a waste of cash unless you're compiling shit or hosting a server :/

• Content Count:  240

88xx cards are hard to find since they arent in production anymore, and if you end up getting one, it will probably be a used one

As for a processor, I run a OC'd i7 920 at 4.01GHz. The 9800GT saves you $$ if your PSU can't handle a high-end GPU.

• Content Count:  2167

Oh yes, two of my friends also run both a 9500GT and a 9600GT (which you can find on the cheapo), and they do a perfect job of running source, dunno about anything else.

Reply to Thread