? servers

? players online

Got my BS.c, off to military now

• Content Count:  2686

So I defended my thesis for A today and got my "Bachelor of Science" (Studied Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology). Feels really great and looking forward to working on my M.Sc, but now I'm off the the military for 11 months in exactly 13 days...Anyway, made this thread to see if maybe someone wants to study something similar and I can answer any questions you got or alternatively, I'm open to any tips you got about military service :p.

Going to miss CS:GO, guess I have to go pro next year! Hopefully SG sets up some nice scrim servers meanwhile :d. I will still try to lurk SG forums meanwhile and chip on any CS:GO development around here.

Also, feel free to share your thesis, I'm really interested in seeing what other people work on in SG!

Abstract of thesis:

Expression of human endothelial lipase in the yeast Pichia pastoris

Endothelial lipase (EL) is a member of a subfamily of lipases that act on triglycerides and phospholipids in plasma lipoproteins. EL mainly targets phospholipids in high density lipoproteins (HDL). High plasma levels of HDL-C are known to protect against the development of atheroslecorsis and are widely regarded as a “negative” risk factor for coronary heart disease. Currently, there isn’t a suitable expression system for producing sufficient quantity of pure active form EL, which often makes studying the enzyme complicated.

Pichia pastoris (P. pastoris) has been widely used for the expression of recombinant proteins. Due to its capability of performing eukaryotic post-translational modifications, P. pastoris enables high level expression of correctly folded and modified foreign protein. For this reason, P. pastoris was selected for the expression of human EL.

In this study, a pPIC9 EL plasmid was constructed and transformed into the P. pastoris GS115 strain. Expression medium was concentrated 46 or 56 fold and analyzed by Western blot, however no His-tagged protein was detected. Cell lysate was purified using Ni-affinity chromatography and analyzed by Western blot. A band corresponding to a non-glycosylated full length EL monomer (57 kDa) was detected. This suggests that the α-MF secretion signal was cleaved but EL was not subsequently glycosylated. Therefore the secretion of EL did not occur. The expression yielded 0,669 mg/l of intracellular EL but without glycoslyation, it is thought to be an inactive form of the protein. Therefore, the P. pastoris pPIC9 vector is not suitable for the expression and secretion of the active form of EL. In the future, the use of other P. pastoris vectors containing different secretion signals is considered or alternatively, the native EL signal peptide could be used.

• Content Count:  1950

Congrats! I graduated recently as well. I don't think anyone wants to read my research paper on the effects of the disclosing the engagement partners name in the financial statements. So I won't post it!

Sent from outer space

Reply to Thread