? servers

? players online

Is Cheer leading a sport??

Wait really? It's at every high school in Florida pretty much, unless its's private etc. I'm pretty sure all the public schools have it though due to the football teams.

I was specifically referring to competitive cheerleading. A lot of schools lack the funding to send cheerleaders to competitive meets.

• Content Count:  989

Sooo..

Sport - a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

That's the direct definition of sport from the Merriam Webster's dictionary, and it seems like cheerleading CAN fit all of the requirements. It bases down to the opinion of people, which means no matter what some people are going to see it as a sport, some not. Vice versa, bla bla.

Edited by Ayjin
I'd destroy a bag of carrots if I could

• Content Count:  1406

I see it as a sport because they do compete in big events every year. It might not a sport as far as there is no real goal behind the cheers besides crowd reaction. I see them mostly as hypemen. Well, a group of hypemen

Edited by CollieFlower
yawn

• Content Count:  6465

It's odd they wouldn't list it as an extra curricular at the least. Calling it a sport is kind of a stretch, unless we're talking cheerleading competitions, which I don't see very many of.

In terms of say, American football, cheerleaders are meant to energize and hype up the crowd of their team, not so much win over the crowd to cheering for their team. If I go to see a team play, I'm not going to just rip off my team's jersey the second I see the other team's cheerleading is better. Competition cheerleading is a bit different and so I would call it a sport if that got to be a bigger. It's definitely part of the sport, but I don't think it itself is a sport.

Reply to Thread