? servers

? players online

Eagles fire Chip Kelly

• Content Count:  2589

Article from nfl.com

The Philadelphia Eagles didn't wait for Black Monday to make the first stunning coaching move of the season. Chip Kelly has been fired.

It's an abrupt end to a fascinating coaching tenure in Philadelphia that started with so much promise. Kelly's Eagles won 10 games in back-to-back seasons, amping up their offensive pace to NFL record heights. That initially led to big yardage and big numbers from mid-level quarterbacks, but the offense turned stale and predictable this year on the way to a 6-9 record.

Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will be interim head coach for the Week 17 game against the New York Giants.

"We appreciate all the contributions that Chip Kelly made and wish him every success going forward," Eagles Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement.

The Eagles also announced that Ed Marynowitz, Kelly's hand-picked vice president of player personnel, was released. It's a telling part of this change in direction. Kelly pushed hard to get control of the personnel department last offseason, leading to former general manager Howie Roseman having a reduced role on the football side of the team. Kelly made a number of aggressive moves over the offseason, trading LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso, signing DeMarco Murray and signing cornerback Byron Maxwell. Those moves, perhaps more than his strategy, led to his demise.

Kelly has missed the playoffs the past two seasons and posted 26-21 record over nearly three seasons in Philadelphia.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612168/article/philadelphia-eagles-let-go-of-chip-kelly

TBH I'm completely surprised by this. In a way I kinda understand it. Chip did come in, led two relatively successful seasons, but then completely blew shit up this past offseason. I did quite enjoy being right about this season in regards to the Eagles. I think it was mostly media, and idiots on /r/nfl that were hyping it up, but it seemed to be a lot of hype around this season for some reason.

I honestly expected Chip to have one more season, as from what I could understand, things were kinda starting to pick up towards the end of the season. Can't really speak from first hand experience though, since I haven't watched any of their games. I honestly think a big part of the downfall this season, is a combination of Chip blowing the team to hell, and NFL coaches adapting more to Chip's style of offense. I think it worked the first 2 seasons, because people weren't adapted yet. Kelly led a really fast paced, different kind of offense that NFL coaches weren't used to. I think this can be compared to the option type offenses we say for a year or so, that then dropped off (for the most part) after coaches adapted.

Regardless, I thank you Chip Kelly, for coming in, fucking shit up, and leaving. True NFC East bro if I ever saw one.

Now, if you need me, I'll be in my corner crying over this season :'(

• Content Count:  3462

Why now? Bit early to me tbh.

So weird to me that they just decide to pull the plug right before the season ends, imagine being the interim coach. This last, pointless game this week is your super bowl lol.

also why do you actually go on /r/nfl...

So weird to me that they just decide to pull the plug right before the season ends, imagine being the interim coach. This last, pointless game this week is your super bowl lol.

Some people are wondering if there was some behind the scenes stuff. Idk, time will tell.

I visit /r/nfl with a grain of salt. Especially being a Cowboys fan. I completely avoid it like the plague when anything Cowboys related breaks. I know 90% of the talk on there is circle jerks, but still helps to kill some time browsing through the posts. I mostly stick to /r/Cowboys.

• Content Count:  166

he got rid of the best players to try to get Marcus Mariota after that everyone disliked him

• Content Count:  885

- Gets to Philly

- Trades starting quarterback for injury prone QB with no hurry-up experience

- Trades McCoy for fuck all

- Obtains a decent RB in Murray with a shit o-line

- Second and third string RB perform better and don't whine

This guy took a pretty decent team and fucking turned it upside down.

Enough was enough. Completely justified.

- Gets to Philly

- Trades starting quarterback for injury prone QB with no hurry-up experience

- Trades McCoy for fuck all

- Obtains a decent RB in Murray with a shit o-line

- Second and third string RB perform better and don't whine

This guy took a pretty decent team and fucking turned it upside down.

Enough was enough. Completely justified.

:') he was a true bro, and he will be missed.

Reply to Thread