? servers

? players online

Any Pilots?

• Content Count:  11501

Do we have any pilots here? With the little downtime I have between work and school, figured I'd blow some money on becoming a pilot...seems pretty cool. I'm starting the training program here soon, and wanted to get with any of you and get your opinions on some stuff. Since I'm already an air traffic controller, I figure I got the whole talking / listening part of it down lol.

• Content Count:  5063

My father worked as a pilot for about 30 years, but got so sick of sitting in the tiny cockpit and long hours he couldnt take it anymore. Spending 18-24 hours in the cockpit, only getting 4-5 hours of sleep before your flight back home isnt good for anyone, this was of course a commercial airline. He wanted to become a pilot to travel the world, and back then being a pilot was a really lucrative job since they actually had time to see the places the traveled to and didnt have ridiculous hours. Think he hated his job for 15 years before he quit!

If you plan on becoming a pilot in the military im sure this wont apply to you :p

• Content Count:  1612

There are a few different pilot certifications depending on what aircraft you're interested in flying, or how much time flying you are willing to do. What kind of certification/license are you going for? What kind of equipment do you plan on flying? Do you possibly want to make this a career in the future?

To get a certification, you're going to need to drop some time into classroom instruction, and instruction in-flight, as well as a medical certificate from a FAA approved doctor. If you're going for military placement in aviation, I'd go talk to your commands career counselor, or the equivalent if you're already in. Google will serve you well for this.

I few years ago, I obtained my private pilot certification back home with the help of some far-off family. Unfortunately, you need a BT review every 2 years, and the aircraft I was using to fly is back home. I miss it, but I can't do much about it while in my current situation.

Also, you have my respect for being an air traffic controller, that is exceptionally stressful work. Kudos.

There are a few different pilot certifications depending on what aircraft you're interested in flying, or how much time flying you are willing to do. What kind of certification/license are you going for? What kind of equipment do you plan on flying? Do you possibly want to make this a career in the future?

To get a certification, you're going to need to drop some time into classroom instruction, and instruction in-flight, as well as a medical certificate from a FAA approved doctor. If you're going for military placement in aviation, I'd go talk to your commands career counselor, or the equivalent if you're already in. Google will serve you well for this.

I few years ago, I obtained my private pilot certification back home with the help of some far-off family. Unfortunately, you need a BT review every 2 years, and the aircraft I was using to fly is back home. I miss it, but I can't do much about it while in my current situation.

Also, you have my respect for being an air traffic controller, that is exceptionally stressful work. Kudos.

Lol yeah, I have the jist of how the program works, I've got a guy I know hooking it up with cheap lessons. I definitely want to get my private, maybe with an IFR rating in the future. Will probably start out with a 152 or 172, and move on from there to a dual prop, probably a PA44 or something.

I'm not active duty anymore, and have no interest in making it a career. I'd like to buy a smaller cessna later on, cause shit you can get them cheap as fuck. But it'd just be for having fun & getting laid. "Hey babe, let's fly to xyz tomorrow." Caaaaaaake

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1612

Lol yeah, I have the jist of how the program works, I've got a guy I know hooking it up with cheap lessons. I definitely want to get my private, maybe with an IFR rating in the future. Will probably start out with a 152 or 172, and move on from there to a dual prop, probably a PA44 or something.

I'm not active duty anymore, and have no interest in making it a career. I'd like to buy a smaller cessna later on, cause shit you can get them cheap as fuck. But it'd just be for having fun & getting laid. "Hey babe, let's fly to xyz tomorrow." Caaaaaaake

As long as you don't attempt to join the mile-high club against the yoke, you'll be fine~

I've flown a 172, and they are niiiiice, especially for their payload. They are fantastic for training as well, lots of different safety features, it's a comfy ride in the right conditions. If you can get a cessna for a good price, and verify it's reliability, I'd say that's a decent way to go.

Now I'm seriously missing flying again. You can hit books and simulators, but it will make you nervous as hell when you're up in the air, and your instructor gives you control. It's an experience not a lot of people can say they have.

• Content Count:  5381

As if looking like a chiseled greek masterpiece wasn't enough....

• Like 1

As long as you don't attempt to join the mile-high club against the yoke, you'll be fine~

I've flown a 172, and they are niiiiice, especially for their payload. They are fantastic for training as well, lots of different safety features, it's a comfy ride in the right conditions. If you can get a cessna for a good price, and verify it's reliability, I'd say that's a decent way to go.

Now I'm seriously missing flying again. You can hit books and simulators, but it will make you nervous as hell when you're up in the air, and your instructor gives you control. It's an experience not a lot of people can say they have.

Should be easy to hit the simulators. I'm actually going to be flying at the airport i work at, and we have a flight school here (but I'm still going through a private guy cause it's cheaper).

Reply to Thread