? servers

? players online

pc upgrade help!?

• Content Count:  5379

So RAM is def on my list! Thanks for that! Im looking to upgrade my monitor to a 144hz one, so would you rec upgrading my card to get full use of dah power? Im kinda new to this so idk much.

Thanks again

Depends on what resolution you want to play at and what graphics settings. Anything over 1080p a 1060 is probably not going to get you to 144 fps on AAA titles. So if you're just planning on getting a 1080p 144hz monitor you should be fine.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2206

How are you using DDR3 RAM with a DDR4 motherboard? That's not possible.

Did no one else notice this when you looked at his spec list?

He's right. Now I'm confused. How is your computer even turning on. Are you sure its DDR3 @Ugly God

Confirm this Ugly, and if it is indeed DDR3 I will link you to a pair of DDR4 ram sticks at a higher speed and that should fix any problems you're having.

Also, as @Delirium said, the 1060 is fine if you don't want to go super HD and are comfortable at 1080p. Let me know and I can recommend you a good 144 hz monitor. Also would like his take on the ram situation we got going on here.

• Content Count:  120

Yes the motherboard says its DDR4, but when i recieved it my DDR4 I bought for the build didn't fit. I looked around and asked a few friends. My close friend has the same motherboard and he has DDR3 in it too. The company false advertised it or messed something up when putting it on the market for sales. I have tried all kinds of ram and ddr3 is the only kind that fits. @Fuze

Yes the motherboard says its DDR4, but when i recieved it my DDR4 I bought for the build didn't fit. I looked around and asked a few friends. My close friend has the same motherboard and he has DDR3 in it too. The company false advertised it or messed something up when putting it on the market for sales. I have tried all kinds of ram and ddr3 is the only kind that fits. @Fuze

Well that might be your problem, you have a skylake based CPU and motherboard with DDR3 ram. I'm pretty sure the Skylakes aren't backwards compatible with DDR3 ram. My advice, would be to upgrade your motherboard to an actual board that supports DDR4 ram and replace your ddr3 with new ones.

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/ I don't know how much truth there is to this and if it is credible but if it is I would recommend making the switch fast.

Again, I'm currently in school for networking and have yet to hit my A+ term yet so I'm not 100% on this but based off what I know and have read that could be the bottleneck you have going right now.

• Like 1

@Fuze Thanks Bud! I'll order the parts ASAP!

I recommend going to https://pcpartpicker.com/

This way, it will tell you which parts are compatible and which parts aren't, you can even fill in the blanks with your current specs to make sure everything will 100% work. @Ugly God

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR31OZ8/?tag=pcpapi-20 - MOBO

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= - RAM

These two together with your other parts should make for a very nice complete setup. Also, if you know anybody that is good with computers and can overclock I recommend you buy an aftermarket fan like the Hyper212 EVO or any credible company that is known to make good parts, and have them overclock it for you. You will see a nice speed up in not only your regular usage but in game performance as well.

• Content Count:  1740

Well that might be your problem, you have a skylake based CPU and motherboard with DDR3 ram. I'm pretty sure the Skylakes aren't backwards compatible with DDR3 ram. My advice, would be to upgrade your motherboard to an actual board that supports DDR4 ram and replace your ddr3 with new ones.

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/ I don't know how much truth there is to this and if it is credible but if it is I would recommend making the switch fast.

Again, I'm currently in school for networking and have yet to hit my A+ term yet so I'm not 100% on this but based off what I know and have read that could be the bottleneck you have going right now.

Skylake does support DDR3. Gigabyte, ASRock and even Asus have B150 chipset boards that support DDR3 RAM.

It's Kaby Lake that doesn't support DDR3 modules.

@TS:

Tbh, you don't really need to spend a lot more on so called 'upgrades'. Just get the same RAM you already have and upgrade to 16GB. You don't really need to update anything else. Your problems are probably something else that's causing it.

Your PC is fine as is. The FPS you're getting is high enough for smooth gameplay.

Reply to Thread