? servers

? players online

Two hour map challenge

• Content Count:  958

I was thinking of having multiple rounds similar to how the show Forged in Fire is done. Round 1 would be something like the basic foundations for a map in the first hour, then everyone would be judged and scored on that part. Round 2 would be making the map functional and have another round of scoring. Round 3 could be polishing everything up and having it be fully functional and maybe have the maps scored based on how they perform in game.

This is purely a suggestion, I don't know too much about map making so if this style was to be adopted the main goal of each round and the round times would be picked by Damon or whoever's judging the contest if the example above isnt realistic. Either way, this sounds like a great idea and a fun way to get new maps on the servers.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1633

I think just having a map making contest in general with a set date to submit would be a better idea. I think a 2 hour limit for a lot of new/amateur mappers would probably scare them away from the contest.

People have the time because of corona to work on a project over days/weeks. Plus we'd get some quality, polished maps out of it instead of something quickly put together.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  526

These are both good suggestions, honestly.

As for Doms suggestion, it does sound like a cool way to go about it. As long as we get some people to commit and actually finish each round. Then we would have a lot of fun with each stage of a map.

As for Kieran, while this may result in more polished maps, chances are 99% of people won't make a map. Because they will expect it not to be good enough etc.

The reason I mentioned the 2 hour time limit is just for them to just throw something together instead of imagining something super grand in their head and then back out as soon as they realize what amount of work that would require.

We had a Jailbreak porting contest in the modding team a while back, but I was the only one who actually submitted anything. I think it simply required so much planning/work that most people just decided not to even bother.

Since I've made so many maps myself I know kind of what I'm getting into. So perhaps just making the 2 hour into a 24 hours or something instead would be optimal.

Reply to Thread