? servers

? players online

Change of ownership.

• Content Count:  2168

Somehow I doubt that Amir is as philanthropic as Garfield is, considering he hasn't been a big part of SG up until now. Taking this assumption and the fact that he has a deficit to recover from into perspective, can we expect ads on the site?

The only other option I can think of would be Internet serfdom, with a portion of our donations/wages going to the owner/landlord for the "privelege" to play/work the fields here.

from what ive pieced together to answer your questions:

yes to ads

and donations would work basically you'd pay $x/mo to be a premium member (there's another option that hasn't been said)

^^^^^^ do not take as a source/citation. just what ive been told from various people

• Content Count:  2085

I am really sad. I am a pessimist, yes, but it certainly doesn't make me feel good when the person buying it has 77 posts (all which I can not access for some reason), and hasn't even introduced himself to the community they are buying...

Oh well. If the rules and servers stay the same (maybe an even better dedi?), it would be cool. If the rules or servers are changed too much, I'll be really sad. I know it's probably going to be plastered with ads (checking out the other forums they own), but if it isn't a huge change... :/

Thanks for the work you did, but I still feel like I have to agree with Potshot. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes however. I guess it's for the best. And I really hope it stays nonprofit for the most part, no "pay monthly to get admin" -- that always attracts scum.

• Content Count:  299

I am really sad. I am a pessimist, yes, but it certainly doesn't make me feel good when the person buying it has 77 posts (all which I can not access for some reason), and hasn't even introduced himself to the community they are buying...

They cannot be accessed because the posts are in the staff section, confirming with the staff that any and all plans are appropriate and a positive influence on the community. :)

Oh well. If the rules and servers stay the same (maybe an even better dedi?), it would be cool. If the rules or servers are changed too much, I'll be really sad. I know it's probably going to be plastered with ads (checking out the other forums they own), but if it isn't a huge change... :/

While I'd love to run ads, I haven't heard anything from Amit about it, and he really has the final decision on the issue. If there were ads, however, they would be completely non-intrusive. "Plastered" would be an inappropriate word for it. Again, if they exist, it would be something like a single AdSense banner at the bottom of the page, out of view unless you want to see it.

But I can neither confirm nor deny that ads will exist in the first place. Amit hates ads.

no "pay monthly to get admin" -- that always attracts scum.

Of course not. That causes so many problems.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  2085

They cannot be accessed because the posts are in the staff section, confirming with the staff that any and all plans are appropriate and a positive influence on the community. :)

Still would be nice for the general public to at least hear a hi from him, heh.

Amit hates ads.

Yay.

I mean I don't know anything about your guy's project, or how you even make money (how do you, minus ads, if I may ask?).

• Content Count:  299

Yay.

I mean I don't know anything about your guy's project, or how you even make money (how do you, minus ads, if I may ask?).

It was answered on chat, but I'll answer here for those who aren't online this moment.

There are many ways to profit from a website. There is currently no set-in-stone idea that will be implemented, but some rough ideas: non-intrusive ads (as described in the last post), premium accounts, in-game rewards (like unusual hats in TF2), etc.

As per your chatbox question, nothing illegal or immoral will be done to make a profit.

• Content Count:  4198

Well when he officially took over he was going to help by introducing himself and putting forward the plans he had for SG. This reveal was not intended to be so soon, but thanks to Spiked the news was released early and Amit probably doesn't know what has happened yet.

Hell, i'd have rather this chance had gone to people who have already proved themselves to the community, not someone none of us know with all of us holding onto hope that they will be able to make something better of our community.

That's the typical response we all expected to hear (albeit from a lot more people, which is surprisingly encouraging), but funding a community like this is going to eat into your wallet like there is no tomorrow, especially if it expects to expand.

• Content Count:  1166

Praise Jebus!

On another note, it's a pleasure to meet one of our mystery men. Can you give any further insight into what "reoganization" of ranks will be?

Re-edit: Whoops. Disregard the first edit if you saw it. I somehow missed one of your posts.

Edited by iNorris

Reply to Thread