? servers

? players online

Birthday Posts

• Content Count:  3998

Are people receiving post count in these sections that big of a deal? I always thought of it as a nice way for someone to become introduced and accustomed to the forums, while still receiving something in return for it, which is literally just a number. They are still constructive posts (unlike the spam section), so it's fair for those to count towards the admin post count requirement, and if people feel the need to post in birthday threads for thanks, then so be it. I'd prefer them do that than hold giveaways where people can only enter by thanking the post.

• Like 19

• Content Count:  4441

Are people receiving post count in these sections that big of a deal? I always thought of it as a nice way for someone to become introduced and accustomed to the forums, while still receiving something in return for it, which is literally just a number. They are still constructive posts (unlike the spam section), so it's fair for those to count towards the admin post count requirement, and if people feel the need to post in birthday threads for thanks, then so be it. I'd prefer them do that than hold giveaways where people can only enter by thanking the post.

It's not the fact that they receive post count

It's that their majority reason for posting is just to receive post count, which I think is scummy enough to crack down on.

It's kinda like when we had to change Meme Machine cause people were shitposting in it due to low restrictions.

It's that their majority reason for posting is just to receive post count, which I think is scummy enough to crack down on.

Just because a small number of people may post for that reason doesn't mean we should restrict it for everyone else - people can post in those threads for any reason they please, whether it be just for the post count or to genuinely wish them a happy birthday. Not to mention restricting post count in those sections would remove thousands of posts from people who posted there in the past, which would be pretty lame.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  11723

It's not the fact that they receive post count

It's kinda like when we had to change Meme Machine cause people were shitposting in it due to low restrictions.

Hey; It gives the CA's something to do by deleting spam posts.

Just because a small number of people may post for that reason doesn't mean we should restrict it for everyone else - people can post in those threads for any reason they please, whether it be just for the post count or to genuinely wish them a happy birthday. Not to mention restricting post count in those sections would remove thousands of posts from people who posted there in the past, which would be pretty lame.

I mean not to throw shade directly at the few people who fucked Meme Machine up for everyone else, but those few people degrading the section got it changed completely. I'd say Meme Machine was like 80% good intentions(though still garbage memes), 20% bullshit.

Birthday Threads is like at least 65% bullshit, 35% good intentions.

I don't think restricting post count for the section would clear out posts already made as threads moved to Spam Central generally keep post count & thank count.

Hey; It gives the CA's something to do by deleting spam posts.

When's the last time you saw a CA delete something in a Birthday Thread?

When's the last time you saw a CA delete something in a Birthday Thread?

When was the last time one person spammed all the B-day threads?

So its not really a problem if it adds to post count if no one is abusing it.

When was the last time one person spammed all the B-day threads?

So its not really a problem if it adds to post count if no one is abusing it.

People ARE abusing it, it's just not delete worthy because it's just straight up scummy.

You can't delete someones post for saying "Happy Birthday" the same way you can't gun someone in the street down for Jay walking.

I mean not to throw shade directly at the few people who fucked Meme Machine up for everyone else, but those few people degrading the section got it changed completely. I'd say Meme Machine was like 80% good intentions(though still garbage memes), 20% bullshit.

Birthday Threads is like at least 65% bullshit, 35% good intentions.

I don't believe the spam section ever counted towards post count, but regardless, is it really our place to say whether or not people are being genuine in their birthday posts? Just let them wish them a happy birthday and leave it up for the person who's birthday it is to interpret it however they want.

I don't think restricting post count for the section would clear out posts already made as threads moved to Spam Central generally keep post count & thank count.

Actually, threads moved to the spam section do lose their post count value, but the thanks are retained because they are just hidden. If we disabled post count for that section as a whole, we would clear out all previous post count values from the past 8 years, when the section was created.

• Like 2

People ARE abusing it, it's just not delete worthy because it's just straight up scummy.

You can't delete someones post for saying "Happy Birthday" the same way you can't gun someone in the street down for Jay walking.

Actually; You kinda can if you really feel like it but who are we to judge how late you can be on saying happy birthday.

Lets say you have 4 birthday threads. 3 of which were from 4 days ago.

Only 1 thread was made for today and everyone is saying happy birthday.

If a new member posts on the old 3 threads from 4 days ago, those should be deleted, Because why wish someone a happy birthday 4 days later.

It's really up to the CA+ if they want to delete it but honestly, Who cares about it.

Edited by Metal

I don't believe the spam section ever counted towards post count, but regardless, is it really our place to say whether or not people are being genuine in their birthday posts? Just let them wish them a happy birthday and leave it up for the person who's birthday it is to interpret it however they want.

Actually, threads moved to the spam section do lose their post count value, but the thanks are retained because they are just hidden. If we disabled post count for that section as a whole, we would clear out all previous post count values from the past 8 years, when the section was created.

Yeah I'm wrong about the post count, oops. :cheesy:

I don't think it's our place to tell whether people are being genuine or are just shit posting based off little evidence, but the fact is that the majority of people who run onto these birthday threads are just shit posting. For example when 25 people post on a Birthday thread for someone who joined the forums 8 years ago & hasn't logged on since they were playing with lego blocks it starts to become blatantly obvious peoples intentions. Judging individuals on a case by case basis is obviously not fair but I think a lot of people would agree that the sections I mentioned above are used to increase post count by new players and I've often heard our regulars cite these sections to new players seeking out Regular.

In response to

is it really our place to say

The solution to not judging someone is I think we should just remove the incentive for people to be disingenuous as shit in the first place.

If adding this would severely reduce everyone's post count & I can definitely see not doing this though as it's simply an unfair judgement to make.

Edited by All Ts
my grammar is SHIT

Reply to Thread