? servers

? players online

build or buy your own desktop?

• Content Count:  1469

I was wonder which one would be a better choice to do since i have looked through many sites and all of them have mixed emotions about this. What parts should i get for my desktop if i were to build one

• Content Count:  3740

Building your own PC is always the best option if you take pride in your PC and want the personal satisfaction of customizing everything to your specifications, all from your own hands. The entire process is very rewarding if you have the motivation for it, otherwise buying one that is already assembled and has support/warranty to cover it is mainly worth it for the convenience and peace of mind.

Edited by Wawa

• Content Count:  120

Its pretty easy to build, but make sure your parts are compatable! Would rec https://pcpartpicker.com/ !!! and look up some percautions to take! ...and ofc the right way to do it! Like they said above its really fun and you will feel a great sense of pride building a beast of a machine!! IF you need help picin out parts or a full build i can certainly help, but there are also others on this forum who are masterz at it so just ask around also! Gud luck!

• Content Count:  2941

i dont really care about pride i just care about the least amount of money possible.

Finding good priced parts and building your own PC is definitely the cheaper option.

However, if you mess up and something goes wrong, it may end up costing more to re-buy parts that may or may not have broken.

• Content Count:  1612

Building your own PC is always the best option if you take pride in your PC and want the personal satisfaction of customizing everything to your specifications, all from your own hands. The entire process is very rewarding if you have the motivation for it, otherwise buying one that is already assembled and has support/warranty to cover it is mainly worth it for the convenience and peace of mind.

Honestly, this ^

I'm currently saving up cash and parts for a new completed build, as this 4 year old laptop is getting outdated, and expensive to upgrade.

pcpartpicker is fantastic as it will allow you to swap out parts to see what is compatible, and offers the best prices from different vendors around the web. Nothing is worse then grabbing a part that is incompatible with your machine!

For some simple builds, you can always head over to /pcmasterrace/ and get familiar with different machines and ideas. You may find a lot of fancy machines with different options and builds, but it is up to you if you feel you want to build such a machine. I'd HIGHLY suggest taking a peek at some Introduction Builds HERE. The guide was made with the best "bang for your buck", and it has PCPartPicker links with the builds so you can customize them however you wish.

Before you buy, double check to make sure everything is comparable, then, double check to make sure you have all the parts you NEED. I cannot stress this enough. You don't want to put your entire PC together for an hour, then wonder where the hell the power cord is. (First time I ordered parts, I forgot the power supply, it was a shameful drive to best buy...)

All in all, be careful, but have fun. If you have no idea what a part does, simply google it. Google, and the enclosed documents for your parts are your friends.

...Or you could just buy a premade PC.

Although, I would not recommend this option, there are some pros and cons with it.

Premade machine PROS:

-Little to no assembly needed, just plug and play!

-Comes with software pre-installed to help you record, and screenshot sometimes?

-The simplicity of it.

Premade Machine CONS:

-MUCH more expensive, you can easily build your own computer that runs on par or greater for less money.

-Exceptionally little to no customization.

-Can be difficult to upgrade, some companies void the warranty if you even open the case!

-Unwanted, and unneeded bloatware slowing your computer and taking space.

TL;DR If your lazy and have large disposable income, go for premade. If you want to be in control of your computer, buy the parts, build it yourself.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2668

If you want to get a premade computer, I would highly recommend researching companies. Like it's been mentioned, they are usually more expensive with average to low quality for their price. I've seen in recent months, premade computers selling for over 1 grand and offer like a GTX 960, which is WAY under performing for that price range.

I highly recommend searching https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ for information and asking more indepth questions. They have another subreddit called https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ which has tons of various deals that you can sort through. It's the equivalent of googling a discount code for an online order.

• Content Count:  11501

Tbh premades can also be good if you want some sort of cool, custom case or some sort of intricate water cooling design that you don't have the means to build yourself.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread