? servers

? players online

Heatsink vs Liquid cooling

• Content Count:  1406

Not sure if this has been discussed before (or at least since the latest coolers have come out), but what is you're guy's opinions on oc coolers? Around Dec or Jan i want to upgrade my I3 7100 to an I5 7600k, and oc it to around 4.5 ish GHz. A friend of mine told me to go with a heatsink, such as CoolerMaster Hyper 212. Opinions?

• Content Count:  701

I'm using a heatsink on my 4.2 i7 7700k, and it's doing fine. I have no opinion between the two though since I chose not to do liquid cooling because i'm lazy and it's easier to do a heatsink.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3052

Videos like Delirium posted are great. Youtubers like

LinusTechTips

Jayz2cents

Bitwit

Pauls Hardware

...all cover a wide variety of air/water cooling videos. (Pros/Cons, installs, benchmarking...etc)

Here is a quick list of Pros/Cons

Watercooling PROS:

Keeps components cooler - if overclocking

Creates less noise

Depending on which route you take, it can make your computer 'stand out'

Watercoolings CONS:

Possibility of leakage

More parts to install/fail

More expensive (mostly)

Custom watercooling takes alot more time to setup(Does not apply to AIO units)

Heatsink PROS:

Easy to install

Good for stock/minor OCing

Heatsink CONS:

Possibility to be louder than liquid cooling

Edited by Labarr

• Content Count:  3740

I've used watercooling, and Labarr is spot-on with the list of pros/cons for it. It's very pricey for a good watercooling setup (I went the custom route), ran into a few leakage issues (fried my sound card with one of my leaks), and the installation was pretty frustrating. However, I'll never forget the overclocking results I'd achieved with my AMD Opteron and my ATI Radeon 1800XL at the time (this was over a decade ago), and how fucking cool my computer looked.

For sheer overclocking, watercooling is better but today's aircooling isn't too far behind.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1740

I mainly went with custom loop for aesthetics and low temps while being completely silent. Aswell as OC'ing and still having cool temps in the hot summers.

CPU never goes over 45°C and GPU never goes over 40°C. As other stated it does come at a hefty price. But well worth it, ihmo. If you do it correctly you get a minimum chance of leakage.

I only had 2 minor leaks in the beginning because of faulty fittings. The fitting on my reservoir wouldn't seal completely on the right port, so switch it to the left instead. And the Ball valve had a loose tap (handle?), which I didn't replace, too much of a hassle to do. I held the ball valve tap (handle?) in a way it won't leak.

Haven't had a leak since I built it in January.

• Content Count:  1083

I would recommend if you are going for more of a budget cooler like the 212 evo, you should give some of the alternatives a look too. A lot of people see the 212 Evo as the go-to since it reigned champion for so long, however there have been new coolers since that prove to provide equal performance, if not better, for the same price or even a bit cheaper. I think I remember looking at the Cryorig H7 as being one of these CPU coolers and in benchmarks it out-performed the 212 Evo by a few degrees and was even slightly quieter. While a few degrees might not sound like much, if you going to try to push your overclock it could make a difference. Besides, it's free performance given the cost is identical. You should of course, however, do your own research as I am not as familiar with budget CPU coolers.

Just realized I'm about 25 days late RIP

Edited by FLuiD

• Content Count:  1406

Did some looking around and comparing of prices, I've decided to go with a twin tower style cooler. I dont want to risk all my money if something leaks or fails. I know air cooling and its much cheaper. I dig the idea and look of custom loops, but not worth risking my mobo or my gfx card.

Edit: as a side note, im going to be useing a scythe twin tower cooler for the i5 7600k im getting in a few months. https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SCFM-1000-Compact-Socket-Cooler/dp/B01B53HG0W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501591421&sr=8-8&keywords=scythe+cooler

Aiming for around 4.6ghz or maybe 4.7. Would i be fine at that clock?

Edited by CollieFlower

• Content Count:  1740

Not sure, why people keep saying that: "Not gonna risk it, if it leaks, etc."

An AIO watercoolers pump would most likely fail faster than that a custom loop would leak, if done right and not too hasty.

Please refrain from telling yourself these lies that every custom loop would leak and have a huge risks along side.

Coolant is none conducting, so even IF (huge if) your loop would leak it would only stain you GPU, not damage it or blow it up or whatever people think.

Most fittings have double O-ring seals so there is minimal risk of fittings leaking.

• Content Count:  101

The last time I did a custom loop, the GPU Block leaked. I RMA'd it (the block was part of the card) and it was replaced. Nothing got damaged because the only thing that was plugged in was the pump. I also put down a ton of paper towels to see if there were leaks so they absorbed all of it.

Reply to Thread