? servers

? players online

A SG Discord

• Content Count:  5379

My point wasn't that Discord can't do those things.

My point was that there are tons of addons/plugins for TeamSpeak, where as whatever Discord comes with that's pretty much what you get. Even if we didn't have a reason to use any of those addons, the ability to use addons allows for much more versatility.

And his point was that you actually can do all of that with discord.

The only reasons I can think of for not switching to discord would be: 1. Our users familiarity with teamspeak, and 2. control.

I like discord a lot but tbh there are some luxuries that teamspeak provides that are almost a necessity for a community this large in terms of being able to (mostly) keep the troublemakers out. Discord wouldn't allow for ip banning thus all trolls would have to do to get around a ban is make a new userid with discord. Also we would have no way of determining if anyone is an alt. afaik there's no security level system like teamspeak has as well.

• Content Count:  3401

And his point was that you actually can do all of that with discord.

The only reasons I can think of for not switching to discord would be: 1. Our users familiarity with teamspeak, and 2. control.

I like discord a lot but tbh there are some luxuries that teamspeak provides that are almost a necessity for a community this large in terms of being able to (mostly) keep the troublemakers out. Discord wouldn't allow for ip banning thus all trolls would have to do to get around a ban is make a new userid with discord. Also we would have no way of determining if anyone is an alt. afaik there's no security level system like teamspeak has as well.

Discord does IP ban and it bans the user ID. One way to keep new accounts out would to be to lock new users to one channel like we already do and get a CA+ to verify who it is.

• Content Count:  539

I despise discord because of the different voice quality it has than teamspeak. Besides my personal preference and say if this SG discord were to be a thing, SG having 2 voice platforms would split too much stuff up with some people using teamspeak and others using discord. It's better to keep one platform where players can talk to eachother rather than splitting it up into 2.

• Content Count:  3401

I despise discord because of the different voice quality it has than teamspeak. Besides my personal preference and say if this SG discord were to be a thing, SG having 2 voice platforms would split too much stuff up with some people using teamspeak and others using discord. It's better to keep one platform where players can talk to eachother rather than splitting it up into 2.

I don't think we'd keep TeamSpeak up if we had Discord.

• Content Count:  539

I don't think we'd keep TeamSpeak up if we had Discord.

Then that would be a real big shame. Overall, just my opinion though, Teamspeak is more enjoyable than Discord FOR ME.

• Content Count:  3728

Has been suggested plenty of times, so I'll just leave this here:

This was discussed to some degree in the CA section as well. We're not going to switch to Discord, at least not right now. TS3 already serves the purpose, and since it's still very popular and not broken, there isn't much of a reason to switch.

Also see the threads Frostbitten has provided.

https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70027&p=839265&viewfull=1#post839265

• Like 1

Reply to Thread