? servers

? players online

Cast of GOTG defends James Gunn

• Content Count:  4441

I don't agree with the cast of GOTG supporting James Gunn like this, he said some really vile shit for 2-3 years on end and even if it was 7-9 years ago this is a man who's job is and was to be in the public sphere. I do not believe he should be reinstated and think it's a good move by Disney to cut ties. The fact that some people think that Disney, a company renowned for making content for children should rehire a man who made tweets like this is absolutely ridiculous to me. I've seen a lot of people on the left and right wing of politics come out defending this on grounds of freedom of speech but I have to say as much as I have enjoyed Marvel Movies, as much as I have enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy I have very low tolerance for any shit about pedophilia or when humor turns so dark you can't even qualify it anymore. This is one of those situations where it's not even close to funny. While it's entirely likely this guy has changed since his tweets it's really a situation of reaping what you sow. We've all done shitty things in the past that we regret and as much as you can change you have to be able to accept consequences for your actions, the feelings associated with those actions and the missed opportunities that come along with that. If you read this quote by James Gunn I think he understands perfectly and despite this whole situation giving me a sour taste towards the guy he really does appear to be handling it in a mature fashion.

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

87f397529d71331ab52557cc2c409f7a.png

5afa2c6143efe0da111062f38d81cb70.jpg

• Content Count:  930

I agree, that is some real foul shit to say about a child even if it was all just a joke. Also should matter if it was years before the fact that someone could public say that should always be held responsible for their actions.

• Content Count:  615

Something like 10 Thousand pedophile themed jokes? Unacceptable. Although I would love to see him direct Volume 3, he has to take responsibility for his actions, even if they were years ago. Jokes like this are never okay and Disney did the right thing. Really disappointed with the cast :c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Count:  2579

I'm a big Gunn fan, especially for his Guardians.

I dislike those jokes, even if I consider myself to have a relatively dark sense of humor. I didn't find them funny but they didn't bother me either. This is more complicated than a simple twitter research though. And believe me, those tweets are insanely bad, but hell.

The offensive tweets were dug up by some folks on the right who were pissed at the very vocal James Gunn. Even if I don't care about that, their intention was to get the guy fired for his political stance on Trump. This is somewhat disgusting in my eyes, but alright. Let's ignore that and concentrate on the cast and their stance.

Why the cast defended such tweets? Simply cause its a ridiculous move. Does anyone sincerely think Disney had no knowledge of that? Hiring a guy to launch one of the most ambitious franchise in the Marvel Universe, millions of dollars in budgets, actors, time, marketing, etc. without doing a simple fucking background check? The motherfucker directed "Tromeo and Juliet" lmao. The cast is standing against the hypocrisy of Disney not for pedophilia! Disney are the ones who are working with Johnny Depp who was accused of beating his ex-wife. Disney are also the ones who made some racist af animations back in the days. The only reason they fired the guy is because the tweets gained attention on Twitter and everywhere else. They pulled the classic PR move to look like the good guys, nothing more in my eyes.

James Gunn hasn't even defended his tweets, it seemed like a sincere apology coming from a man who changed.

I'm sincerely over this "everyone is offended by everything" phase, and I consider myself to be very on the left. I know for a fact he won't get back with Disney, but it was one hell of a mistake. Not for the franchise only, but symbolically. That's my take away from this, and I'm quite surprised the entire cast stuck with Gunn on that one, since Bautista was the only one who seemed pretty damn pissed about it on twitter.

o well

• Like 3
Edited by roux

• Content Count:  4441

@roux

Don't know how removing someone who posted vile disgusting pedophile related shit is a mistake for Disney, even if you wanted to argue that they were jokes they weren't particularly obvious ones nor were they even close to funny. Even the argument made about it being years ago holds no bearing to me personally, maybe if it was something light but the things he wrote were not light in any sense of the word. They would probably lose quite a lot of people if those tweets went viral and decided to just ignore it, not to mention it's just the right thing to do when you're a company like Disney who's most known for childrens cartoons, (invading your life) and movies.

Comparing Disney making racially charged cartoons back in the day or making statements that Disney is being hypocritical in any form is just wrong, and the second one wasn't even said by the cast so I have no idea where "The cast is standing against the hypocrisy of Disney not for pedophilia!" is from. If you show me an instance where they're being hypocritical, and it's not a false equivalency I would gladly stand against whoever that person was. The cast also didn't defend the tweets if you read it over again, they said the tweets were clearly wrong and they said that they thought it doesn't reflect the man James Gunn is today, which is a fine statement to make. If something is thrust into the public light such as this it makes perfect sense for Disney to run a tight ship and kick his ass right off of it. If you're a public figure as a career your life is literally your craft (politician, director, actor, anchorman) and your image, that's how you bring your bread home. If someone wants to try to be controversial by relaying the most unfunny, edgy shit in order to gain clout online then they have to accept the consequences- which is something James Gunn has entirely embraced it seems. Lastly, if you think it was a character assassination I guess they didn't have to try really that hard with that type of shit written on his public twitter account, huh?

• Content Count:  2579

Don't know how removing someone who posted vile disgusting pedophile related shit is a mistake for Disney, even if you wanted to argue that they were jokes they weren't particularly obvious ones nor were they even close to funny. Even the argument made about it being years ago holds no bearing to me personally, maybe if it was something light but the things he wrote were not light in any sense of the word.

It isn't a marketing mistake, or even a PR mistake. For me and many, it's what I called a "symbolic" mistake. "Weaponizing" the mob mentality, giving points to outrage culture, that is the mistake.

Your take of how bad the jokes were is completely subjective, I respect that. I don't feel that way at all when I hear stuff like "X fired over jokes from Z years ago!" I'm super aware that people do mistake and that they should hold their part. However, I believe change is stronger than our past selves. I had the same thoughts about Trump when I heard the "grab 'em" clip, even if I dislike the man.

They would probably lose quite a lot of people if those tweets went viral and decided to just ignore it, not to mention it's just the right thing to do when you're a company like Disney who's most known for childrens cartoons, (invading your life) and movies.

I like to think that there is a middle ground between firing a man and ignoring a scandal.

the second one wasn't even said by the cast so I have no idea where "The cast is standing against the hypocrisy of Disney not for pedophilia!" is from. If you show me an instance where they're being hypocritical, and it's not a false equivalency I would gladly stand against whoever that person was.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was quoting somebody. I've read a lot on many discussions, I've seen a lot and a LOT of people saying that people defended pedophilia for defending Gunn, this is where that sentence came from.

The cast also didn't defend the tweets if you read it over again, they said the tweets were clearly wrong and they said that they thought it doesn't reflect the man James Gunn is today, which is a fine statement to make.

Again, my bad for not typing what I'm thinking, I meant Gunn, not the tweets.

Lastly, if you think it was a character assassination I guess they didn't have to try really that hard with that type of shit written on his public twitter account, huh?

I see it as character assassination by the way it was vilified. With common sense, people notice that Gunn changed, yet others vilify the guy as a pedo. They didn't try hard, but they still tried. From 8-9 years ago? Trying hard or not, that's assassinating a character for an agenda. Not my way of thinking, at all.

• Content Count:  796

I would consider this foul, and grounds for scolding if it was maybe just the tweets you showed over the span of 2-3 years, but the amount of tweets that surfaced, and those that probably didn't, is completely terrible, this isn't just jokes, this is real pedophile shit, nobody I know that is normal, or not normal never jokes about this, atleast this much, I can see an odd joke or two being deleted not cause for a firing or even much thought, but this many tweets is crazy, especially for someone in a position of power.

Just to say, I would not defend this man, and I don't think the cast should have either, but I would not expect them to denounce their ex-coworker.

Edited by Nate S

• Content Count:  5381

I don't really give a shit either way here, but, lets not forget that Disneys history isn't exactly spotless either.

Also, reminder that you had a corgi butthole pointing at the entire community for a week. I think you should be demoted for promoting bestiality.

• Like 7
Edited by idealist

Reply to Thread