? servers

? players online

[TTT] Fixed Map Rotation

• Content Count:  461

So I asked a few AT's and they thought it wasn't a bad idea, and I figure it would be up to community support at this point (and whenever the tech team gets done with their forum party we are so patiently waiting for).

Basically, the servers tend to play the same four or so maps and then a few other random secondary favorites and then the server repeats from the beginning. This is made more obvious when the server crashes and they restart with ttt_highschool, and then they play the same four maps in a row.

So an idea I had to get a few more maps played is this:

First, change the default map from ttt_highschool to something else, because this map is quite played out. I think ttt_dolls, ttt_minecraftcity, or ttt_skyscraper_2017 would be best.

Next, the server would then run a fixed rotation that the AT's would set up. Alphabetical order, custom set order, whatever. This would control how the server goes from map to map.

Then, so the people who don't want to play these maps and go back to the usual maps, they can RTV and then play the maps that they nominate. If there are no nominated maps before the RTV starts, then the maps are randomly placed like they are now. If maps are nominated and the game ends with no RTV, then they don't get to vote, and go to the next map set for rotation.

At this point if they are on their RTV map and the game ends, the server continues from the point in the rotation that it was last at with the RTV map removed until 6 or so maps are played, to which point it can be played again and is inserted back into the rotation.

If multiple maps in a row are RTV'd then it still continues from the last time the rotation was happening, and the maps that were played count towards the map cooldown.

My reasoning behind this is to play some of the less played maps on the server without forcing players to stop playing the maps they want to. I think players would be less likely to RTV every round to play their favorite maps and would be more willing to just play the next map in the rotation.

Obviously it is a lot easier to just type this out and I have no experience with CSGO plugins, but I think something like this would be extremely beneficial in making the server less stale.

@Im Sad @DML @Ned @Charliere @Takuto @TheZZL thoughts?

If there is any confusion about this then please ask and I'd love to clarify since a wall of text can get a little twisty.

:lisastache:

• Like 4

• Content Count:  3294

I think this is great, the one flaw I see is the standard map rotation. If we do it in alphabetical order people might not be able to play favorites like slender(man). If we do it in custom order we won't get a chance to try out newer/less liked maps. I think a good compromise is to have a community meeting where we can all decide how to trickle in less liked maps into the more favorited maps. For example, we'd start with a list of favorite maps and ask the people in the Teamspeak to choose one of the following newer/less played maps to put in between close quarters and dolls. @John thoughts?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  484

I understand the logic behind it, but I completely think this shouldn’t be a thing. People choose those maps for a reason. I understand that it gets boring after a while just playing the same old maps over and over, but that’s just how it is, people like those maps. Adding a fixed rotation would just make some people wanna leave the server if there are multiple maps in a row that they dislike. Another reason I don’t like this idea is cause, for example, there are 10 people on, the map is apehouse (which is a good map for the amount of players) but what if the map was dolls or some other huge map? The rounds would take a very long time to end because everyone will just try to stay away from everyone else. The opposite of this scenario can also be true, apehouse isn’t a good map for 30+ people, so if that map was next on the rotation, it would cause a lot of salt for the people who couldn’t get a gun in time because that gun barely has enough guns. Anyways, I probably like lengthened this post for no reason by adding examples and shit but whatever. Point is, please don’t do this, it’s just work for the technical team for no reason tbh, I don’t know that many people who would actually want this to be a thing.

Edit: when it comes to changing the default map, I’m honestly fine with changing it to the ones you suggested.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1671

I can easily change the default map to either of those three. ttt_minecraftcity will be the map, rng decided for me

For the fixed map rotation, the possibilities are almost endless here. Certain time, certain players, certain weighted values, alphabetical order, popular maps mixed with unpopular maps in random orders, it can almost all happen in the rotation. The only issue I see is that the map cycle I would have to make would be an equivalent to an architect's life-long masterpiece. There would be so many duplicated maps in different nomination tiers (although I can control from dups appearing in nomination menus and voting) that it would be almost confusing to anyone trying to use it. I can make "All Maps" as one tier and go all willy nilly on the others but it would be an absolute mess... Whichever map get nominated already has a spot in the voting list and if there aren't enough maps nominated, maps will either be randomly picked alphabetically or whatever order the "All Maps" tier is set to (which is already in alphabetical order for organization). In the end, it's what the people want to play, I can't control what map the people want.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  461

I understand the logic behind it, but I completely think this shouldn’t be a thing. People choose those maps for a reason. I understand that it gets boring after a while just playing the same old maps over and over, but that’s just how it is, people like those maps. Adding a fixed rotation would just make some people wanna leave the server if there are multiple maps in a row that they dislike. Another reason I don’t like this idea is cause, for example, there are 10 people on, the map is apehouse (which is a good map for the amount of players) but what if the map was dolls or some other huge map? The rounds would take a very long time to end because everyone will just try to stay away from everyone else. The opposite of this scenario can also be true, apehouse isn’t a good map for 30+ people, so if that map was next on the rotation, it would cause a lot of salt for the people who couldn’t get a gun in time because that gun barely has enough guns. Anyways, I probably like lengthened this post for no reason by adding examples and shit but whatever. Point is, please don’t do this, it’s just work for the technical team for no reason tbh, I don’t know that many people who would actually want this to be a thing.

Edit: when it comes to changing the default map, I’m honestly fine with changing it to the ones you suggested.

That's the point of keeping RTV around, so people can play maps they want to and skip ones that they don't. If the players aren't having a fun time on the map they are playing or don't want to play the next map in the rotation, then they can RTV all the same and play something else. And the server still does occasionally vote for maps like apehouse anyways when the server is full, or the reverse when the server is empty. This just helps to get more maps played that aren't always seen.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread