? servers

? players online

Curious George about how servers are advertised

• Content Count:  635

I was looking at some of the server ranks lately and noticed ZE is 3k and jb is getting close to being sub 1k. What are strategies for getting new players into the server outside of people who see the servers on the community server browser. Is there anything us normies could do to pull in more randoms to regs who will turn into forums users and perma regs? (OTHER THAN NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT WHEN PLAYING) surely things like talking about the forums and advising people there is more info and a place to have your complaints and ideas heard is a way to retain players, but what get the new ones in so we can retain?

Edited by Mace

• Content Count:  1633

You're going to get people on the forums once they become regulars on the server, not the other way around. Retaining players in this community will begin by retaining them on the server. Once someone finds themselves coming back to the SG servers is when they'll likely decide to expand to our other platforms. While there's a lot that goes into it, the best way in establishing regulars is making sure we keep the servers consistently populated. There's a few ways a regular can do this.

1. Pretty obvious but seeding the server. The difficulty of this depends on which server you're playing (something like TTT will be much easier to seed than something like ZE or Squad). However, giving any amount of effort into seeding helps. Invite some people on or try to get the server populated during times pop is usually low. People have a reason to come back instead of going elsewhere if they see our servers are always populated when they're on.

2. Apply for staff. Rulebreakers can easily kill population or ruin the vibe, so I encourage anyone to apply for admin if they feel they're qualified for the position. If you're unable to, using calladmin and making sure the servers have admins on helps out a lot.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  903

Sorry, saw this and forgot to respond.

As Kieran already mentioned, to gain forum users you are going to need to have a loyal playerbase that will first enjoy their time with our services (servers) before they go ahead and join the Forums. Nobody is going to join the Forums, Discord or Steam Groups if they have no prior association with SG.

To answer the question in the title of the thread, there are many ways that we do/could advertise our servers or SG as a whole. I'm not going to be explaining our every move/plan that we do & have to get our name out there to gain new members but some obvious solutions are advertisements using social media, information based posts on sites such as Reddit/Steam and providing content for people to watch by using such sites as Twitch & YouTube.

With every expansion we move into (Discords, Servers, Game Title's etc..) any way we choose to advertise with, in the end brings them to the Forums as the Forums are SG's "Central Hub".

As a regular the best thing you can do is provide players with a safe, friendly, & enjoyable place on the servers. If "you" would like to go around telling your friends or posting on websites that they should check out SG, I won't stop you as "you'd" be giving us free publicity but if a conflict arises then I will shut it down.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, The Real Slim Jim said:

what get the new ones in so we can retain?

That's one of the main reasons the MKT Team exists and is the "Big Question". What can we do to bring more people into the community? How can we get new players to join our servers opposed to joining Ego, HG or Karma? (To name a few)

There are many idea's that get tossed around but not everything will work. A lot of it is trial & error and that's why doing the research ahead of time is so important.

We need to have a gameplan prepared so we're not walking in blind and use the information/feedback of previous outings to better our chances at being successful with future actions.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, The Real Slim Jim said:

Is there anything us normies could do to pull in more randoms to regs who will turn into forums users and perma regs?

Already touched on this but it's because it's the most important thing you can do.

Make the servers a place that will make new players want to come back.

Most of the regs on a respective server will all know each other which will make them more comfortable with how they talk/act in the servers and affect the way they play the game but consider the new player's POV. If a bunch of regulars who all know each other well start messing around on the servers in a way that may have negative impact on a new player such as RDMing for fun, micspamming or being toxic/obnoxious (even if it's directed at their friends in a joking manner), it may not be perceived the same way by another player which will turn them away and make them less likely to come back or join/use SG's other platforms. (Forums & Discord)

Applying for/Joining Staff positions is another way you can take a more active role in helping us retain the new members that join our community.

Our admins are the "Front Line Defense" in ensuring that the playerbase is content on the servers by keeping watch on issues that may give new players a sour taste when thinking of joining SG servers. ie. Rule Breaking, Toxicity, Mic Spamming, Cheating, Harassment etc... 

I'll let ya ask anymore questions you got before I go ahead and lock the thread but I will be marking it as answered.

• Like 3
Edited by Mace

Reply to Thread