? servers

? players online

Twitch hosting

• Content Count:  5381

We should offer to host community related/involved streamers on our twitch so that both our brand and their own individual brand can grow. 

I think a big reason we're lacking a twitch presence is due to people who already consistently stream have no interest in streaming on the official SG twitch and would rather try and build their own brand out instead of streaming for the steam gamers twitch. I think we could have a much more active channel if we start offering to host some of these guys like @kabLe who consistently streams on his own channel and is still active within the community somewhat. 

@Mace @BoM

• Like 10
Edited by Mace

• Content Count:  819

I really tried to push this once the streamer rank was made, I think it's a good idea. Auto hosting can be easily setup for multiple channels. I will admit it's a punch to the gut when I put all this work into making my stream clean and have cool things like a music bot transition scenes etc. I worked hard to get affiliate on my channel and it's just stagnant as of right now. If we decided to move forward with hosting it could bring viewers to both outlets (since that's how hosting works) and provide an incentive to new streamers to come in with a developed channel to essentially "add on" to SG, it easily becomes a win win for SG and the streamer if both brands were spread as you were saying.

• Like 1
Edited by Hawks

2 minutes ago, Hawks said:

I really tried to push this once the streamer rank was made, I think it's a good idea. Auto hosting can be easily setup for multiple channels. I will admit it's a punch to the gut when I put all this work into making my stream clean and have cool things like a music bot transition scenes etc. I worked hard to get affiliate on my channel and it's just stagnant as of right now. If we decided to move forward with hosting it could bring viewers to both outlets (since that's how hosting works) and provide an incentive to new streamers to come in with a developed channel to essentially "add on" to SG, it easily becomes a win win for SG and the streamer if both brands were spread as you were saying.

Agreed. Initially when the streamer rank was rolled out I was moderately interested but that interest quickly faded when it became apparent that I would have to choose between my (now super inactive stream rip maybe coming back soon (t.tv/idealistdfw)) and the official steam gamers stream. If I were financially invested in the success of the community I may have signed up but since I'm not and would be forgoing my own potential revenue I decided against volunteering. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2206

You could easily help a small streamer by backing them with the power of SG and making a deal with them to sponsor them. Cloud9 doesn’t stream but they have content creators and have their brand plastered all over. If enough SG people support someone and that person ends up getting to 100 viewers which is technically the top 1% of twitch streamers and much easier to grow and teach a larger audience. They don’t necessarily need to stream on SGs platform. 

The reality is community servers are becoming a thing of the past. To thrive SG needs to become a brand not just a gaming community that almost has more servers then actual people playing on them.

• Like 5
Edited by kabLe

6 minutes ago, kabLe said:

You could easily help a small streamer by backing them with the power of SG and making a deal with them to sponsor them. Cloud9 doesn’t stream but they have content creators and have their brand plastered all over. If enough SG people support someone and that person ends up getting to 100 viewers which is technically the top 1% of twitch streamers and much easier to grow and teach a larger audience. They don’t necessarily need to stream on SGs platform. 

The reality is community servers are becoming a thing of the past. To thrive SG needs to become a brand not just a gaming community that almost has more servers then actual people playing on them.

Something I've been pushing in the background really. This community doesn't need community servers to survive going forward. We could expand exponentially if we followed the market trends and hopped on popular games when they're booming in squads to try and pull more people back into the community. We have a sizeable audience it's just up to the people in charge on where to drive their attention for more growth.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  3150

We can definitely host other community streamers on our stream during it's downtime, not opposed to this idea at all. I also have a plan to implement a way to showcase other streamers on the website further incentivizing working with us, something that is obviously important to grow our stream presence. Unfortunately big forum changes like that are realistically 4 to 6 months out based on our current situation(s), so yeah that's just the truth of it.

2 hours ago, kabLe said:

The problem comes with providing incentive, which we really lack good options that would actually gain any traction with your random growing streamer. As I mentioned above the website could be a prime incentive, but even then I'm not sure that'd be enough to pull someone who isn't already in the community. Obviously pulling someone from the community would be easier however that also limits our options. If you're thinking sponsor them in terms of monetary compensation...that's honestly not financially feasible, at least with our current cash flow.

2 hours ago, kabLe said:

The actual reality is that we are well aware of this and many things are being worked on in the background as well as publicly if you take a look around. Your out of context 10 AM quick glance at the numbers makes me want to slap you around, but I'll refrain. The fact is our server pop is growing to a point its pretty easy to project our current ~80-130 average player count during prime time hours should turn into something like 300+ if our SMs keep on with the plans they have currently. While it's great to have this big grand image of SG turning into a brand and spreading its wings....it is in fact a very slow process (I should know I've been pushing it for years).  You can't look at a big change like that as something that is unilateral and will show as notably visible change any time soon. In order to grow in that direction you have to have a big source of players to fill up this community you've created because any time you want to grow a brand the moving force is the numbers...so in this case our players/gamers/general population. Currently our main (and really only) pipeline for player growth is our severs, and while there are other things being built and polished for potential future growth, sensibly pushing and squeezing our servers for all they're worth is still the move. I foresee us heavily invested in server based gaming for another 3+ years as the gaming community continues to grow away from them, and that's assuming new games don't put out servers which would further fuel our growth in that direction.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  4441

A lot of good ideas and high aspirations here. I don’t have anything to add about the Twitch hosting but that finding reasonably talented, appropriate, entertaining small streamer with a consistent schedule is hard so if you find one I would hope we’re teaming up.

I do think the idea that SG could grow way, way bigger past one of the OG CS communities as reasonable but not under the current model. I was telling someone the other day that GFL holding the #1 CS:GO server for years I would of thought they would of already reached the apex of being worth millions of dollars but it hasn’t happened yet. CS:GO is still doing extremely well so I wouldn’t panic and try leaving it just yet though, I’m just saying that in terms of being more; the potential has and will always be there.

2 minutes ago, All Ts said:

A lot of good ideas and high aspirations here. I don’t have anything to add about the Twitch hosting but that finding reasonably talented, appropriate, entertaining small streamer with a consistent schedule is hard so if you find one I would hope we’re teaming up.

I do think the idea that SG could grow way, way bigger past one of the OG CS communities as reasonable but not under the current model. I was telling someone the other day that GFL holding the #1 CS:GO server for years I would of thought they would of already reached the apex of being worth millions of dollars but it hasn’t happened yet. CS:GO is still doing extremely well so I wouldn’t panic and try leaving it just yet though, I’m just saying that in terms of being more; the potential has and will always be there.

Not saying to jump ship at all at this point but focusing on other growth areas never hurts

• Content Count:  905

On 4/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, delirium said:

We should offer to host community related/involved streamers on our twitch so that both our brand and their own individual brand can grow. 

I think a big reason we're lacking a twitch presence is due to people who already consistently stream have no interest in streaming on the official SG twitch and would rather try and build their own brand out instead of streaming for the steam gamers twitch. I think we could have a much more active channel if we start offering to host some of these guys like @kabLe who consistently streams on his own channel and is still active within the community somewhat. 

:wink:

• Like 1

@Mace @BoM 

Here's a (fairly shitty) mockup for a dedicated page on the forums. Could even embed a mini player in the side space on the forums page but it may look too crowded. 

ize9wpf.png

Here's a link to sample HTML and an embedding guide: https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/embed/everything

• Like 3
Edited by delirium

Reply to Thread