? servers

? players online

adding a SCPSL server

• Content Count:  560

Ik i briefly talked about this like 2 weeks ago but i really think this could be a good idea and it could work this time around because like i said in my last post scpsl player count has been going up a lot as of recently but something i realized while scrolling through servers is that the only good east servers are the 2 official SCPSL east servers and they always have full pop so the east players who couldnt get in the server are either forced to play on shit ping in west or play on east servers with shit rules/mods, if SG can get a server with good rules/mods i can see the east players who dont feel like having to wait for people to leave will flock to the SG server (yes i know that sounds like a longshot but i believe it is very possible and acer said that the SCPSL MGT did very well so the SG community definitely has a interest in the game and would possibly fill pop enough for other people looking for new servers to see the SG server and join) and yes i understand this sounds very retarded since for it to be successful SG have to be very lucky but imo it’s worth the risk, feel free to leave any criticism you have  

• Like 3
Edited by carrollton

47 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The server will die like it did due to a lack of regular players willing to spend hours of their days to seed a low pop server for weeks on end. Bad idea.

you make a good point, seeders are gonna be crucial but SCPSL is such an easily accessible game and very easy to learn and hopefully the dedicated SG regs who have never played SCPSL will see that SG made a server and download the game to help out SG and if they enjoy it that could give the server extra seeders that it will need. I get that this is again is all based off luck but every server needs luck, no server is going to get pop immediately, you have to get lucky and hope a group of people looking for a new server find the SG server and join and they hopefully enjoy it enough to stay. 

Thanks for the criticism.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  195

i like this idea and I think its worth a shot because at least for me most games are getting dry and I think scpsl is a change. Scpsl doesn't have many great server right now so I think it could get popular considering the game is free.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  536

6 hours ago, carrollton said:

you make a good point, seeders are gonna be crucial but SCPSL is such an easily accessible game and very easy to learn and hopefully the dedicated SG regs who have never played SCPSL will see that SG made a server and download the game to help out SG and if they enjoy it that could give the server extra seeders that it will need.

You can say the same about TF2 and yet those servers have had zero pop for months.

6 hours ago, carrollton said:

I get that this is again is all based off luck but every server needs luck, no server is going to get pop immediately, you have to get lucky and hope a group of people looking for a new server find the SG server and join and they hopefully enjoy it enough to stay. 

It's not just luck that gets people to stay on the servers. I mean, lets look at Squad. At one point I'm pretty sure we had multiple servers full of 100 player lobbies for about a week and yet the servers died. It's more than just luck that's the problem rather the lack of drawing in new players from people outside of SG. In the case with Squad, I don't think enough was really done to influence people to join the servers. Of the hundreds of new people I can only really say at max 10 people from outside SG actually joined the community for the short life span of Squad. For sure luck can play a large role in actually gaining population at first but the real problem is sustaining that population and this is where SG seems to struggle the most.

3 hours ago, spook said:

i like this idea and I think its worth a shot because at least for me most games are getting dry and I think scpsl is a change. Scpsl doesn't have many great server right now so I think it could get popular considering the game is free.

For one, just because games are getting "dry" for you doesn't mean that making a server is suddenly a good idea. Secondly, how long until SCP starts becoming dry itself and you lose interest in it? Third, saying there aren't any "great" servers is completely wrong and totally objective. I haven't played SCP in months but in my 100 hours of playing that game, there are many well established and large communities within the game. SG is going to have to set itself apart and I don't think thats going to be possible with how much effort that is going to take. 

I'm not trying to sound like an asshole or pessimistic, but there have been too many servers that have outright failed for the same reasons in the past 6 years of my time here. Whether that be the GMOD server or the SCP server, they all suffered the same flaws and to this date they have not changed as seen with TF2 and Squad. Unless something big is in mind or SG has a new take on how they want or plan to approach this I don't think that this is a good idea in anyway.

• Like 3

I 100% agree with you, I wasn't trying to say that the server will gain and sustain pop forever because SCPSL is a relatively small game compared to the other games SG has servers on. SG only has a community in 1 game which is obviously CS and i would just like to see SG take a risk and try to diversify itself because i just don't see any other server that SG has getting pop in the near future besides rust. Again i understand the chances of the server being a success are insanely slim. 

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

but there have been too many servers that have outright failed for the same reasons in the past 6 years of my time here.

Imo SG will be stuck at being just a CS community if risks aren't taken.

• Content Count:  905

9 minutes ago, carrollton said:

I 100% agree with you, I wasn't trying to say that the server will gain and sustain pop forever because SCPSL is a relatively small game compared to the other games SG has servers on. SG only has a community in 1 game which is obviously CS and i would just like to see SG take a risk and try to diversify itself because i just don't see any other server that SG has getting pop in the near future besides rust. Again i understand the chances of the server being a success are insanely slim. 

Imo SG will be stuck at being just a CS community if risks aren't taken.

Risks have been taken and we still are a cs only community. Games like rust and tf2 dwarf scps numbers and we still have trouble finding a solid playerbase on those games. 

• Like 1
Edited by BloodBlades

• Content Count:  2169

we actually had an scp secret lab server around 2 years ago

it was moderately successful but slumped over and died after a little bit (only really populated when steam group announcements were made)

we had a sick ass award for it too (i made it no biggy lol)

bloodblades is pretty much on the money except tf2

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BloodBlades said:

Risks have been taken and we still are a cs only community. Games like rust and tf2 dwarf scps numbers and we still have trouble finding a solid playerbase on those games. 

Oh yeah i get that i just dont want this idea to be overlooked without any thought just because other ideas didnt turn out to be successful. 

• Content Count:  971

Guys what we need is 3 more bhop servers! We also need 6 more ZE servers, 2 more KZ's, and 7 more JB's! The reason they don't get any players is because we don't take up enough space on the community browser! Think guys! Use your noggins!

• Like 3

Reply to Thread