? servers

? players online

What Happened to the SG Minecraft Server?

• Content Count:  1920

Having a consistent survival server was attempted multiple times and always worked great at the start, but never really lasted too long. Pop would be awesome for a month or so then it would die and just sit. Minecraft servers at least here are better for one-off events or like a MGT. If you also mean "good on paper" as a way to grow the community, the market of survival servers isn't exactly fantastic for gaining random people, I'm also not sure how much interest there actually is in consistently playing a MC server. 

• Like 3
Edited by Phoenix_

• Content Count:  331

4 hours ago, Phoenix_ said:

I'm also not sure how much interest there actually is in consistently playing a MC server.

I'm sure we could have a consistent population on a Minecraft server if it wasn't just locked to strictly survival. If we were to make a Minecraft server, but branch out and have different game modes such as creative plots for showing off cool builds, a kitpvp setting where players could test their skills, deathrun, etc.,  I think we could for sure gain a small population of players that would be active on the server. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  870

2 minutes ago, Hxppy said:

I'm sure we could have a consistent population on a Minecraft server if it wasn't just locked to strictly survival. If we were to make a Minecraft server, but branch out and have different game modes such as creative plots for showing off cool builds, a kitpvp setting where players could test their skills, deathrun, etc.,  I think we could for sure gain a small population of players that would be active on the server. 

so your saying, we make a exact version of the hive @Hxppy I would like to see that and I would play for a decent chunk but it would take tons of plugins and work.

• Like 2
Edited by Roddy

• Content Count:  1920

4 minutes ago, Hxppy said:

With something like this-- you need to consider what kind of effort and funds it will take to put this up. As far as I know, we'd probably need to host a Minecraft server via a different host (instead of our current dedi), and we would need staff dedicated to the server's success. There's probably just as many dead Minecraft Multigames servers as there are dead CS community servers. While Minecraft is a classic and still an insanely popular game, I don't know reasonably how many staff are willing to dedicate time to a server where we're essentially shooting in the dark if the server will be popular or not. It would take an incredible amount of effort and marketing to get this server off the ground, and there's no guarantee to its continued success, though you could say that about almost anything.

Would a "small population of players that would be active on the server" justify the effort it took to make it happen?

• Like 3

• Content Count:  331

1 hour ago, Phoenix_ said:

With something like this-- you need to consider what kind of effort and funds it will take to put this up. As far as I know, we'd probably need to host a Minecraft server via a different host (instead of our current dedi), and we would need staff dedicated to the server's success. There's probably just as many dead Minecraft Multigames servers as there are dead CS community servers. While Minecraft is a classic and still an insanely popular game, I don't know reasonably how many staff are willing to dedicate time to a server where we're essentially shooting in the dark if the server will be popular or not. It would take an incredible amount of effort and marketing to get this server off the ground, and there's no guarantee to its continued success, though you could say that about almost anything.

Would a "small population of players that would be active on the server" justify the effort it took to make it happen?

It wouldn't have to be THAT small, and assuming the server launch is properly executed and we gain a small, yet dedicated player base, this would help us to become more of a general gaming community, rather than focusing on shooter games. Let me use another community as an example. Roxbot is a small minecraft community that averages around 80-100 players daily, and while this server has been up for a few years, it only recently gained its popularity due to Labymod's Voice Chat addon. If our server were to also be known as a place where plenty of people use this addon, that alone could attract plenty of players. A small percentage of these new players might be willing to buy ranks that they would pay for monthly, and these ranks would give access to certain cosmetic items and chat benefits, much like our CSGO servers.  At the time of writing this, 124 players are logged on to roxbot.com and NEARLY HALF of these players have donated in some sort of way (rank, name tag, etc.). This is a bit of a best case scenario, but if we had 60 players paying $5 (minimum) a month, I feel as if that revenue paired with the additional population would make this new server plenty worth the effort it took to start. 

• Like 1
Edited by Hxppy

• Content Count:  2730

7 hours ago, Hxppy said:

Funny you say this because this is the exact thing we tried to do with the last server. We had set up a survival server in the current version at the time, but people wanted a 1.8 server. At that point, it was decided we were going to make a server with many different servers within it. I think the plan was for survival in 1.13, a faction 1.8 server, a creative plot server (might have just been apart of the survival server), a kit pvp server, and maybe a hunger games server as well. Pretty the hunger games server was never actually worked on. 

I was tasked with making it so you could connect to different servers from the hub, making the hub itself, and the 1.13 survival server. Sadly the project ended up fizzling out, but I did get some screen shots.

Spoiler

LMANfjs.png6klmpq9.pngVPDb0vx.pngS6gWjX1.png

I would be down to do a survival server once 1.18 comes out. With the voice mod as well.

• Like 3
Edited by Clamor

• Content Count:  38

7 minutes ago, Zero Two said:

The big issue with basic Minecraft is it gets old fast. Now I my self spend hours playing modded Minecraft I feel if we could somehow get together to make a modded server I feel we would be able to hold the population for longer.

That seems like a very plausible idea.

• Like 2

Reply to Thread