? servers

? players online

Gentoo's Input

• Content Count:  1583

Can you guys go 15 minutes without locking a thread 😭

Firstly, open up any projects related to new games and servers that you are confident will see the the light of day. Our CSGO servers have had a history, culture, experienced players, an established population, etc. You could stick any retard in SM for a short amount of time and as long as they listen to the community and don't fuck with things too much the server still had a decent chance of staying alive. Any time we've started a new project in the past, it has none of these things going for it that might give it a decent chance of success. It gets a few goober SMs/CAs that may or may not give a shit and it kept under wraps for literally no reason. These projects should at minimum already be opened up to the CA level to get as many hands on deck as possible. More realistically, open it at the community level and you might find a few people that actually have decent experience with the game or are actually going to stick with it (unlike literally any CAs when squad released). You need brainstorming, hype and as many hands as possible to turn these servers into something that won't be DOA like they always have been. I understand in the past some projects have been given the 'PM someone if you want to get involved treatment' but I don't think that cuts it. Make a subforum, post changelogs, make a thread outlining how people can help, play testing, making assets, suggestions.

Secondly, make a role called HALL MONITOR and use it to cleave all the prestigious and powerful perms off of CA. The majority of this role of moderating has already been passed up to IA/BD I'm sure, due to the sensitive state of the community. This also allows you to usher in the people you need to into this role. At the time I was LA, we had about 20 CAs. Four of them would regularly post in threads or talk at meetings. Because of all the bureaucracy about rank, trust, posturing, etc. it was impossible to ever get anyone into the role that was actually passionate and willing to talk about community topics, and the second I did, they were shipped up the ladder to SM/IA. I and you can find at least a handful of people in the community that are more passionate, knowledgeable, creative than the majority of past CAs but most likely wouldn't be put in the role if they paid you $100. Is it because they'd butt heads with people? Argue? How do you expect to have any meaningful discussion without that lol. If they had some outlet to do this privately and discuss meaningful topics in a constructive way, maybe they'd be less inclined to publicly lambast you - see a number of current staff that already fit the bill lol.

Thank you!

• Like 7

• Content Count:  3150

46 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

Can you guys go 15 minutes without locking a thread 😭

If it's not shit sure.

Firstly, open up any projects related to new games and servers that you are confident will see the the light of day. Our CSGO servers have had a history, culture, experienced players, an established population, etc. You could stick any retard in SM for a short amount of time and as long as they listen to the community and don't fuck with things too much the server still had a decent chance of staying alive. Any time we've started a new project in the past, it has none of these things going for it that might give it a decent chance of success. It gets a few goober SMs/CAs that may or may not give a shit and it kept under wraps for literally no reason. These projects should at minimum already be opened up to the CA level to get as many hands on deck as possible. More realistically, open it at the community level and you might find a few people that actually have decent experience with the game or are actually going to stick with it (unlike literally any CAs when squad released). You need brainstorming, hype and as many hands as possible to turn these servers into something that won't be DOA like they always have been. I understand in the past some projects have been given the 'PM someone if you want to get involved treatment' but I don't think that cuts it. Make a subforum, post changelogs, make a thread outlining how people can help, play testing, making assets, suggestions.

Am I following right in reading that this is basically just...open conversation about projects? If so..have at it. We pretty well bring any project ideas down to the CAs immediately as it is, maybe I'm missing something here.

Secondly, make a role called HALL MONITOR and use it to cleave all the prestigious and powerful perms off of CA. The majority of this role of moderating has already been passed up to IA/BD I'm sure, due to the sensitive state of the community. This also allows you to usher in the people you need to into this role. At the time I was LA, we had about 20 CAs. Four of them would regularly post in threads or talk at meetings. Because of all the bureaucracy about rank, trust, posturing, etc. it was impossible to ever get anyone into the role that was actually passionate and willing to talk about community topics, and the second I did, they were shipped up the ladder to SM/IA. I and you can find at least a handful of people in the community that are more passionate, knowledgeable, creative than the majority of past CAs but most likely wouldn't be put in the role if they paid you $100. Is it because they'd butt heads with people? Argue? How do you expect to have any meaningful discussion without that lol. If they had some outlet to do this privately and discuss meaningful topics in a constructive way, maybe they'd be less inclined to publicly lambast you - see a number of current staff that already fit the bill lol.

This was somewhat addressed with the two new ranks in the big book thread I assume you read cause you're a champ. Powers of discord going away to a new rank, powers and involvement with server stuff going away to a new rank. Let me know if you need more clarity on that.

NGL feels like you didn't really read my thread or read it but still retained resentment. Smile more champ!

• Like 4

In all fairness I wrote this out immediately after the last thread was locked but decided to still post it because it was mostly relevant even after your thread and because I was bored.

I use projects quite a bit here but what I'm referring to is new servers. It's been previously eluded to or stated that we are branching out into new games - I'm merely suggesting that when any of these are concrete enough to say will happen, they should be as transparent and open source as possible - prior to actually launching.

I did read your thread but noticed the revised roles of CA was not explicitly stated. I'm sure I could cross reference and extrapolate out what specifically is left, but I assume it is more than exclusively advising and arguing. I'm suggesting it should not be - so that you can funnel more retards off the streets and into an outlet they can be productive as quickly as possible.

You come off as really hostile and defensive in many of your posts; I suppose I can understand your paranoia being the #1 target for shit flinging but it kind of kills the vibe when I'm trying to joke around with you or say something mildly controversial. I'm your friend, I'm not going to pull your pants down in public...unless it's really funny.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

1 minute ago, Gentoo said:

In all fairness I wrote this out immediately after the last thread was locked but decided to still post it because it was mostly relevant even after your thread and because I was bored.

Your boredum fuels my insanity.

I use projects quite a bit here but what I'm referring to is new servers. It's been previously eluded to or stated that we are branching out into new games - I'm merely suggesting that when any of these are concrete enough to say will happen, they should be as transparent and open source as possible - prior to actually launching.

It's a weird cross between people that want to put things out as surprises and people that want to announce shit way beforehand. I personally love putting shit up ahead of time, building hype, getting more minds involved etc. A lot of people that have worked on these other projects didn't want people seeing or knowing about it until it was a fully finished product. Overall, at the very least I'd like to see us reaching out to the masses in a grassroots kind of way not necessarily through a big announcement and build legitimate interest and input that way.

I did read your thread but noticed the revised roles of CA was not explicitly stated. I'm sure I could cross reference and extrapolate out what specifically is left, but I assume it is more than exclusively advising and arguing. I'm suggesting it should not be - so that you can funnel more retards off the streets and into an outlet they can be productive as quickly as possible.

Yeah the role of CA becomes a little unclear, however the 'who' that manages xyz becomes more clear. The revised roles will get clarified when I throw up another thread this weekend or whatever, as for the existing state of the CAs...a little more difficult to answer I suppose. I would like to funnel more retards off the streets and make them productive, but what should they be doing is the question. Admin training I guess, and even that you'd toss to server reps probably.

You come off as really hostile and defensive in many of your posts; I suppose I can understand your paranoia being the #1 target for shit flinging but it kind of kills the vibe when I'm trying to joke around with you or say something mildly controversial. I'm your friend, I'm not going to pull your pants down in public...unless it's really funny.

My passion comes in the form of anger and hostility. Anyone who's worked with me on anything knows that. You also know I'm not stupid and if I see something a certain way it's for good reason.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BoM said:

It's a weird cross between people that want to put things out as surprises and people that want to announce shit way beforehand. I personally love putting shit up ahead of time, building hype, getting more minds involved etc. A lot of people that have worked on these other projects didn't want people seeing or knowing about it until it was a fully finished product. Overall, at the very least I'd like to see us reaching out to the masses in a grassroots kind of way not necessarily through a big announcement and build legitimate interest and input that way.

I don't mean to put anyone down, but what argument can these people make that their project is going to turn out differently than any other server launched in the past? Are they doing something gamechanging and unique from every previous approach? I can understand the appeal of launching something as a 'finished product' and getting sucked off by all the people excited to see something new, but it never pans out. What launches is the first 'playable' version of what one or two people envisioned a server looking like and were able to scrap together on their own. I don't mean to denigrate any work that's going into these, it takes serious effort and a good amount of skill to actually get something up and running, but not giving it the best chance possible and opening the door to constructive feedback or having someone look into your shortcomings is all ego. This also adds an element of accountability. I understand the Board should already be looking over peoples shoulders in this regard, but your hands seem to be too full to do that in the same way a small entourage of interested parties could, or could assist in motivating things to move along.

A fun way for me to build hype on TTT changes and projects in the past was just to sit in discord channels editing maps and talking about the state/changes to the server with whoever was interested. Maybe if an official announcement/thread/subforum isn't the way things are going to go, it could be worthwhile urging managers to go this route for that more grassroots feel you're searching for.

Edited by Gentoo

• Content Count:  819

38 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

A fun way for me to build hype on TTT changes and projects in the past was just to sit in discord channels editing maps and talking about the state/changes to the server with whoever was interested. Maybe if an official announcement/thread/subforum isn't the way things are going to go, it could be worthwhile urging managers to go this route for that more grassroots feel you're searching for.

I really do think you need to join our discord more. Our current manager @ImHunterIRLalways does this and its unfortunate to see you suggest something that's already been happening. No offense but its showing your disconnect with the current state of the community since I mostly see you active here on the forums and not on discord.

• Like 1
Edited by Hawks

3 minutes ago, Hawks said:

I really do think you need to join our discord more. Our current manager @ImHunterIRLalways does this and its unfortunate to see you suggest something that's already been happening. No offense but its showing your disconnect with the current state of the community since I mostly see you active here on the forums and not on discord.

Who's not reading what now lol

Go back through the thread and get back to me when you can follow along. I don't mean to mislead you but I'm just here to help out where I can in my very busy schedule - my gf's been out of town for a while so I've had a bit more time than usual to pacify my boredom.

Props to Hunter for doing this anyways - this is useful to all servers, but I'm referencing unreleased servers

• Content Count:  2206

6 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

Go back through the thread and get back to me when you can follow along. I don't mean to mislead you but I'm just here to help out where I can in my very busy schedule - my gf's been out of town for a while so I've had a bit more time than usual to pacify my boredom.

Props to Hunter for doing this anyways - this is useful to all servers, but I'm referencing unreleased servers

Hey Gentoo,

As previously mentioned, we are looking at new ways of being transparent and soliciting feedback. I understand where your coming from, however lets not forget that once a server is up and running, there is nothing stopping anyone from making a thread to suggest an improvement or a change. Generally, when something is in the works you have the base set of people setting everything up to get online and playable and then we rely on feedback. Half the battle is getting people to actually come play the server and give relevant feedback. And just because someone provides an idea doesn't mean its the way the manager wants to go with the server or the majority of players want in that. I'm not disparaging anyone from leaving feedback but for the most part we haven't seen much feedback when it comes to individual changes. This admittedly stems from the overall problem which is why I've said on multiple occasions that its a multi-variable problem that no one thread is going to fix. It is going to take sustained effort over a period of time. Step 1 is getting all staff on board and replugged in on the level needed which @BoM  has already laid out a plan at the Board level to do.

@Zero Twois making his way through JB and has seen some success relative to the last few months

@ImHunterIRLis also working on improvements from his predecessors to present to the community which I'm fairly positive he will be clueing in the TTT community since he has been actively asking for feedback from active/inactive players on the public front as well as trying his best to clue in staff from SA all the way up to the Board.

These things do take some time. We just launched an action plan to the public last night and each level of staff will be asked to step up a bit as we transition our focus and zone in on problems. I understand and appreciate that you are willing to take the time to point out things that have been issues in the past in the spirit of pushing the community further towards success and I do note some of the ideas. There is some merit to announcing things early and gathering opinions and that is something we can look at being more proactive.

I hope you'll stick around and help us as we go through this transitional period of the next few months.

• Content Count:  819

37 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

Just reading that one section seemed split from the rest to me. And I wanted to shed that light after reading it to give you some insight on the ongoing things you might not currently see.

But seriously join discord more, lol

If you don't mind I would like to pick your brain about your comment on what you think CA should encompass. Being a former LA I am sure we could relate and brainstorm together on certain aspects of the rank. If you'd like to drop those ideas here or in my dms please do. 

Reply to Thread