? servers

? players online

E-cig thread

• Content Count:  418

Serious question here, might get shit for this but, why smoke?

What is the appeal of smoking?

Why people start is for various reasons, a lot start young because of peer pressure and shit, some smoke to relieve stress. Basically, a lot of reasons. Afterwards it's more of nicotine being addictive.

Anyways, do people who switch to e-cigs from regular cigs actually STAY with e-cigs? I only know people who tried e-cigs briefly, but then switched back.

There's some pluses to it. E-cigs, the refillable kind, tend to be a lot cheaper. I used an e-cig and a 5 pack refill for mine costs $15. Each single refill is equal to about two packs, basically making the 5-pack refill equal to a carton of cigs. Where I live, a carton of Marlboro's, for example, cost $62. I like the price difference. It's still nicotine and it is an arguable safe alternative to get the addictive substance. Also, a lot of brands make it in a variety of flavors like vanilla, cherry, mint and such to further the appeal. I'm sure it takes some getting used to because it definitely doesn't feel the same because it lacks a lot of the other chemicals in it or whatever ( I don't really know ), but like anything it's not for everyone.

• Content Count:  1070

Waste of money, waste of time, detrimental to your health, stupid

Are you talking about playing video games?

Everyone does things that are detrimental to their health, getting drunk, eating junk food, sitting on your ass playing video games for hours on end, not wearing sunscreen, breathing in the shitty air in a big city. I doubt many people use e-cigs because it makes them look cool. I know some people who switch to it because they have gotten addicted to nicotine and e-cigs are a safer and less harmful way to obtain dat nicotine. Fuck them for making a small change that may benefit their life, eh?

Not too sure why everyone is getting so ass devastated about smoking, but getting drunk and destroying your liver is perfectly acceptable and other various means of slowing killing yourself are perfectly acceptable. I strongly believe people should be able to do whatever they want to their body as it's their life and theirs alone. And at the end of the day it's none of your fucking business.

• Like 2
Edited by Eskomo

• Content Count:  3740

There's some pluses to it. E-cigs, the refillable kind, tend to be a lot cheaper. I used an e-cig and a 5 pack refill for mine costs $15. Each single refill is equal to about two packs, basically making the 5-pack refill equal to a carton of cigs. Where I live, a carton of Marlboro's, for example, cost $62. I like the price difference. It's still nicotine and it is an arguable safe alternative to get the addictive substance. Also, a lot of brands make it in a variety of flavors like vanilla, cherry, mint and such to further the appeal. I'm sure it takes some getting used to because it definitely doesn't feel the same because it lacks a lot of the other chemicals in it or whatever ( I don't really know ), but like anything it's not for everyone.

With those cost savings, e-cigs should definitely look more attractive. But as you said, I think it's because they don't produce the same "feel" as regular cigs, which I can't believe people would prefer something more expensive, both financially and health-wise, just because of the "feeling" you get. Crazy shit.

• Content Count:  175

Everyone does things that are detrimental to their health, getting drunk, eating junk food, sitting on your ass playing video games for hours on end, not wearing sunscreen, breathing in the shitty air in a big city. I doubt many people use e-cigs because it makes them look cool. I know some people who switch to it because they have gotten addicted to nicotine and e-cigs are a safer and less harmful way to obtain dat nicotine. Fuck them for making a small change that may benefit their life, eh?

Not too sure why everyone is getting so ass devastated about smoking, but getting drunk and destroying your liver is perfectly acceptable and other various means of slowing killing yourself are perfectly acceptable. I strongly believe people should be able to do whatever they want to their body as it's their life and theirs alone. And at the end of the day it's none of your fucking business.

It's not been proven that e-cigs are safer or a healthy alternative to regular cigarettes, it's still being studied. And so you're saying people don't smoke e-cigs to look cool, they do it because they're already addicted to cigarettes? Then why, I wonder, did they start smoking cigarettes to begin with? Let's face it, no one thinks "hm, you know those things that cause about 200 kinds of cancer, among other health disorders, and smell like a truckers asshole after a 9-hour drive through Arizona? I bet they taste and feel GREAT." It's a stupid life style choice, and comparing it to something like playing video games, which is a hobby, not an addiction, or to something like occasionally eating junk food, is stupid. Video games and junk food can all be taken in moderation. Cigarettes can't. Nicotine makes sure of that.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2167

It's not been proven that e-cigs are safer or a healthy alternative to regular cigarettes, it's still being studied. And so you're saying people don't smoke e-cigs to look cool, they do it because they're already addicted to cigarettes? Then why, I wonder, did they start smoking cigarettes to begin with? Let's face it, no one thinks "hm, you know those things that cause about 200 kinds of cancer, among other health disorders, and smell like a truckers asshole after a 9-hour drive through Arizona? I bet they taste and feel GREAT." It's a stupid life style choice, and comparing it to something like playing video games, which is a hobby, not an addiction, or to something like occasionally eating junk food, is stupid. Video games and junk food can all be taken in moderation. Cigarettes can't. Nicotine makes sure of that.

This

None of the other things you mentioned are unhealthy in moderation, smoking is harmful with even limited use. Yes overeating and overdrinking are bad for you but moderate drinking and moderate eating aren't bad for you. On top of that, developing a chemical dependence on alcohol requires serious abuse well beyond what most people drink. Smoking becomes addictive at its intended level of use.

• Content Count:  3150

Good job turning this into a big fucking argument. -_-

Lets keep the hostility to a minimum or I'll just lock this silly thread

• Content Count:  1070

The FDA has said that they are less harmful than normal cigarettes and that, "If we could get all of those people [who smoke] to completely switch all of their cigarettes to noncombustible cigarettes, it would be good for public health". Yeah people make mistakes and get addicted to things they probably shouldn't and I personally have only smoked cigarettes and cigars a couple of times at partys and such. But if e-cigs can provide a safer alternative to appease a nicotine addiction if should definitely be considered for those individuals.

Obviously smoking is the #1 lifestyle cause of death in the states and I would never condone it, but if an adult makes the choice to smoke that's their choice and theirs alone. Although, I don't like that these e-cigs seem to be targeting younger individuals with the candy flavours like the mentioned cotton candy.

This

None of the other things you mentioned are unhealthy in moderation, smoking is harmful with even limited use. Yes overeating and overdrinking are bad for you but moderate drinking and moderate eating aren't bad for you. On top of that, developing a chemical dependence on alcohol requires serious abuse well beyond what most people drink. Smoking becomes addictive at its intended level of use.

"In the year 2000, The leading causes of death in 2000 were tobacco (435 000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths), poor diet and physical inactivity (365 000 deaths; 15.2%) [corrected], and alcohol consumption (85 000 deaths; 3.5%)." Those were the top 3, I suppose I should have used these more general terms instead of "sitting on ur ass, eating junk food, and getting drunk."

Smoking clearly isn't the only lifestyle choice that causes health issues.

Reply to Thread