? servers

? players online

New staff position?

• Content Count:  6242

After doing this for nearly 10 years we've tried several iterations of this idea. All tend to be more work and trouble than they are worth. It has been my experience that the setup here has been tried and proven to be the best and most efficient method of getting people working together.

Also I like how @SpaZMonKeY thinks... Why isn't this guy an AO or BD yet?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2238

I honestly think the ability to vote kick would suffice. no need to create another rank below admin.

While i'm also aware this is prone to abuse... just have penalties for it just like every other rule.

Like others have said, this has been tried before, and has never worked out. The point that made this basically not work would be the constant abuse of this system. Yes, there could be punishments for it, but it always came back around to there being no point in making another rank with half the admin's abilities.

• Content Count:  11723

I honestly think the ability to vote kick would suffice. no need to create another rank below admin.

While i'm also aware this is prone to abuse... just have penalties for it just like every other rule.

I might be good to have but lets be honest, If you cannot get any admin at all to join the server you are not trying at all.

We are always on TS/CB/Steam. It would be the same issue with 4 spam, a vote would come up and either ask for a number to be pressed or for people to type !kick "Name"

As for ranks, We did try SG-A years ago and it was the dumbest thing I think we ever did.

Waste of time it was, It's better to just become a "full" admin and have your peers judge you.

• Content Count:  4960

There's a reason we have this huge amount of admins :)

Like others said, we have tried multiple systems in the past, and most of them were a lot of work (the weekly CE meetings to promote SG-A's and people to SA)

Just apply for admin or add admins to your friends list.

Oh, and I like the "Fluffer" rank idea. 10/10

• Content Count:  2504

We had something like this in late 2009 and 2010, called the Apprentice Program. Before anybody could become a full server admin (SA), they had to be an Apprentice Admin (or trial admin, as you called it) first, with limited powers. It was probably one of the most unnecessary ranks we've ever had. If you're gonna get admin on any level, you should just get it in full because if you abuse it then you get striked like all the other admins. That way it's less work to figure out who's "ready" for admin, less micromanaging, etc. If someone thinks they would be a good admin, it's up to them to prove to their peers that they deserve it, since they're the ones who support their applications. This way it's one less step, thus one less complication to the system that really isn't worth the trouble. It's one of those ideas that might look good on paper, but when it's put into effect, things just become jumbled. Bringing something like this back requires too much unnecessary handholding, and if you're not able to restrain yourself from using the "fun" commands like slap when you shouldn't, you shouldn't be an admin on any level in the first place. Also no admin can ban for longer than 1 week without approval from a higher up (AO+).

If new admins need help learning commands, how to handle certain situations, etc, then they are usually pretty good about asking a higher up or fellow admin about it. Not to mention that the admins we do approve these days would probably all get promoted to full admin very shortly after being an Apprentice, so with that said, there's just not much of a point to bringing that system back.

Votekick/voteban also not coming back, it's been abused in the past so if someone's breaking rules, get proof and post a complaint, or call in an admin.

Edited by Revenga

• Content Count:  171

Originally when he told me this, I thought it would be a good idea. Than after reading all the replies I realize how this would be a waste of time seeing as people could just pretend to be good for a period of time then just start abusing powers. Also I never noticed how many ranks we had.

• Content Count:  6759

Originally when he told me this, I thought it would be a good idea. Than after reading all the replies I realize how this would be a waste of time seeing as people could just pretend to be good for a period of time then just start abusing powers. Also I never noticed how many ranks we had.

Browse the forums more often and you'll learn a lot plus meet a lot of the admins :p

Reply to Thread