? servers

? players online

Would you be interested in playing in this tournament?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in playing in this tournament?

Rocket League Tournament-WIP

• Content Count:  2589

4rF3sUH.png

Alrighty boys and girlsand Retro for those of you that missed it, we recently held the first ever Steam-Gamers Rocket League™ tournament. You can view the thread here.

While that tournament was a lot of fun and went well (if your name is Paul), I was only left craving more. So I had the idea of doing a bigger, better tournament. I am making this thread with the intention of seeing how much interest there is in this tournament, as well as to gain feedback and maybe some ideas from the community in order to make the tournament run smoother.

Right out of the gate, I will say that this tournament will be an on-going thing. It will likely take over a week to complete. I know what you might be thinking, "why that long Goku?" Well, one thing I have noticed in the past with some events such as this one, is that it is hard to get a lot of people involved in it due to time issues. And often times, someone will have to leave the event before it is over. So, to combat that, may I introduce to you my plan:

We will be taking advantage of the wonderful site, http://www.challonge.com As you can see in the last tournament, http://challonge.com/sg_rocketleague1 , we were able to make teams and update the match-ups as we went. I made an example bracket that I will paste the link to down below.

Basically, players will be able to sign up in the official thread. From there we can then decide based on the number of participants, if we want to do 2v2 or 3v3. We can also make an additional poll or discuss whether or not we want random teams like last time, or to let people pick their partners. We can even toy around with the idea of team captains (if we do 3v3) and do a draft of some sort.

I will then throw the teams into the bracket, and shuffle the seeds aka shuffle the match-ups. From there, it is now up to the players in each match up to complete their games. The majority of match-ups will be best of 3. However, the semi-finals will be best of 5, and the finals will be best of 7 (however in the test bracket I will post, I messed up on the finals and only did best of 3).

After each game, players will let me know the final scores and I will update the bracket. As you will see in the test bracket, I can post the scores from each individual game, and the bracket automatically shows you how many games won in each match-up. You can play all your games at once, or spread them out if you must. As each match-up is finished, the next round's match-ups will automatically be filled out.

The tournament will be double-elimination. Meaning you must lose twice, in order to be eliminated from the tournament. So just because you lose in round one, doesn't mean you can't make a comeback and win the finals.

Test Bracket Here

Pictures of brackets if you have trouble accessing the site:

First Tournamentz7UAuse.png

Test BracketFkKGeox.png

I designed this with the intention of creating as big of a tournament as possible, in order to get more people involved and to make winning even more rewarding. I will be thinking of prizes and if anyone has any idea, feel free to suggest them. If you have any ideas or thoughts/comments on the way I'm planning this, please share them as I want to make this thing as good as possible.

Hopefully there is enough interest that something like this will be able to work. I know we have a lot of Rocket League fans in this community, so hopefully we can get a nice size tournament, and maybe even convince some regulars on the servers to join the forums and be a part of this.

• Like 10
Edited by Goku

• Content Count:  2589

Now also seems like a good time to plug the rocket league group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SGrocketleague

Edit: Gonna mention more peeps

@Nimmy Jewtron @Aceriino @Mr.Trololo @Luke @Pan32 @batterykiller00 @Butters @Dominic @MyHobos @phantom153 @arottenpickle @SL4DE (hopefully) @Complicated @Zaraki @Frames Dropping

Just went down my friends list and friends that own RL that I thought might be interested.

Edited by Goku

• Content Count:  4550

I would assume both Spartan.

Tho, we should start doing 4v4 rl again in teamspeak should get the newbies some practice.

No, this would be more detrimental. 4 v 4 is an absolute cluster fuck. You barely get an opportunity to hit the ball, and when you do, there's always someone on the opposing team challenging you 24/7 making your shot selection essentially "I need to just get anything on this ball, not target in any particular direction". That's not helpful in practising your positioning, using boost efficiently, shots on target, aerial hits and saving shots. It's just madness and not even in a fun way imo.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2230

Nice @Black Rain! We came second in a fake tournament! :d

I would love to participate in this! :) Last time due to time zones I couldn't quite make it :( However would love to do this.

Just as a side note, can we make sure that (if we do a loser bracket) that when someone from the loser bracket plays the winner bracket that the winner bracket has a one match headstart in the bo5/7. Otherwise there's no point in winning the first game :p

• Like 1

• Content Count:  422

I would play, but I'm extremely poor. But it should be so you can pick your partners, I don't think anyone would want to pair with me :cry:

Edit: My neighbors need a baby sitter I'll be gettin the :d

Edited by ItzMiLK

Reply to Thread