? servers

? players online

Discord?

• Content Count:  30

I don't like TeamSpeak at all. I agree with Narwhal entirely. I like Discord much better....TS is cryptically designed, downloading is a requirement, and is overall just weird to use. I really don't think it's user-friendly. Just my opinion though.

• Content Count:  6465

yea i wasnt really saying switch to discord more so that they could coexist, personally i dont like team speak i think its clunky, needlessly difficult to use and not very good overall but i guess people over here hate it lol

It's not so much that we hate it, I personally use it for some things, it's more that it hasn't really proven reliable.

Unlike Teamspeak, you don't own your discord. You don't have logs, you don't have control over uptime, and you have less control over security. There's also unanswered questions that I'd rather not wait to find the answers to until it's too late. How good is the ddos protection? How decently can we recover our server if it is crashing due to ddos attempts? Why is Discord able to be free regardless of traffic or bandwidth? Is there a chance our server will be shut down if we have too much traffic/bandwidth usage?

A lot of those questions I can tell you are no problem for TS3. We own it, we run it, and the security is much more mature. Discord is meant to be for you to group up with your buddies for a bit then dip out, it's not meant for long-running high population communities in my opinion. Mainly because you never own your server, Discord does.

• Content Count:  1061

Similar to the previous suggestions of having gmod and csgo ttt? One alienates the other. There's no feasible reason to have two separate voice servers. Some would likely prefer one over the other and then you have the issue of people bickering between which two to join. It also further alienates people as they likely won't be on both at the same time.

@Four, Official or unofficial; we really aren't going to advertise a discord server anywhere because, like Goku has already said, that could help to alienate some users. I'm sure some people around here already use discord over TeamSpeak, so if that's really what you'd like to do, you should message some of those people on steam or PrivateMessage.

But, since I know you'd like to get to know more of the community better, I'd suggest sticking with TS so you can meet the majority of the community there.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1403

@Four, Official or unofficial; we really aren't going to advertise a discord server anywhere because, like Goku has already said, that could help to alienate some users. I'm sure some people around here already use discord over TeamSpeak, so if that's really what you'd like to do, you should message some of those people on steam or PrivateMessage.

But, since I know you'd like to get to know more of the community better, I'd suggest sticking with TS so you can meet the majority of the community there.

I understand that the TS server is what the community uses, I will learn to adapt and start communicating with the members more. I usually try to communicate on the servers or steam messages. The TS server really serves no point for me for the fact that when I'm not on the server (When I am on the server I talk in-game chat rather than TS) I usually am on Netflix or playing a single player game. TS is more for over-watch or people who already are close friends.

• Content Count:  30

I understand that the TS server is what the community uses, I will learn to adapt and start communicating with the members more. I usually try to communicate on the servers or steam messages. The TS server really serves no point for me for the fact that when I'm not on the server (When I am on the server I talk in-game chat rather than TS) I usually am on Netflix or playing a single player game. TS is more for over-watch or people who already are close friends.

I agree with you. TS is mainly for close friends to talk- I think in-game server communication and steam chatting is enough to know the community anyway. However, I took a long break from the community so only more long-time members probably remember me.

• Like 1
Edited by Vav

• Content Count:  3401

For future reference if anyone searches for this thread -

Discord is good. The text chat features are better than TeamSpeak. The main issue I think is that text channels and voice channels are separate from each other, so you'd end up having two channels (1 text, 1 voice) for each category which would be too much honestly.

There is a Steam-Gamers Discord out there already however.

• Content Count:  2589

Just for future reference, I actually had a discord dev about a month ago address every one of Xeno's concerns so if the possibility of ever getting an official one pops up again, I can forward the message along. Which just to clarify, I didn't go out of my way to have it addressed, I was just replying to a thread on Reddit about discord and TS and mentioned the reasons this community hasn't switched.

For what it's worth, I have been using discord heavily the past month with this twitch community I've met and I honesty do think overall discord is better. But I also don't think it's worth it at this time for SG to switch.

Edited by Goku

Reply to Thread