? servers

? players online

Question on the alternate account plugin

• Content Count:  1619

I noticed in a ban appeal this morning that @Wawa said the servers have a plugin that detects multiple accounts being used on the same IP address. My question is could you get banned (maybe not intentionally) if two people are on the same IP address?

I take my laptop to my friend's house and he'll sometimes bring his to mine, and we'll play jailbreak. I'd rather not go through the hassle of getting unbanned in a situation like that where the plugin detects us both and bans us.

(And my knowledge of technical internet things is limited to setting up the router in my house, apart from that I know very little about the technical aspect)

• Content Count:  391

It only matters if someone gets banned under your IP I believe. So as long as either of you don’t get banned you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Count:  2668

What the plugin does is it finds evading accounts through IP addresses. When an account is banned, the IP address is recorded and is considered banned just like the SteamID. When you connect to the server, it compares banned IPs to yours, and if there is a match, it bans you.

• Content Count:  678

I’ve noticed a few cases where the ip comparer can take up to a few hours to work, and so, my question is: Does an admin have to activate the ip ban, or is this process automatic? If it’s automatic, why does it seem to not always be effective?

• Content Count:  5678

I’ve noticed a few cases where the ip comparer can take up to a few hours to work, and so, my question is: Does an admin have to activate the ip ban, or is this process automatic? If it’s automatic, why does it seem to not always be effective?

It automatically bans the person when it detects it, and this plugin was only added recently.

• Content Count:  4441

Recently we added a plugin that works in conjunction with SourceBans that handles these type of bans. Unless he gets banned at your house or you get banned at his it doesn't make much of a difference. You are correct in saying that there is situations where people can get banned for not breaking our rules, only because they have the same IP as someone who did. When someone appeals a ban like that there is a lot of tiny factors other just the IP matching that determines whether they're unbanned, and with how rare it is I don't see it as a big issue. This plugin we're using for all intents and purposes is new. We were using an old version of it and a very old version of SourceBans that was leading to delayed bans, or just letting people slip right through. This plugin is pretty instantaneous if you've seen it work, definitely isn't like the old one in that regard.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2668

It is automatic. I can't say for sure why it takes time to take effect, but I assume it has to do without database size. We have 40,000+ bans to go through. I assume it has to compare the IP on each ban, which could take a while.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  678

This plugin we're using for all intents and purposes is new. We were using an old version of it and a very old version of SourceBans that was leading to delayed bans, or just letting people slip right through. This plugin is pretty instantaneous if you've seen it work, definitely isn't like the old one in that regard.

This is the information I was seeking with my questions.

Reply to Thread