? servers

? players online

bunch of dumb ideas

• Content Count:  2167

Some of these may be controversial that's aight. They're simply my opinion and stuff. I have been on the internet a long time and seen many forums and communities come and go.

1. Backup the data for JB, retakes #2, and CSS GG, and close them. They see no play from what I've seen, maybe retakes a little. gg.steam-gamers.net is the listed server FQDN on the server page and it literally is a dead DNS record. Optics matter, and if someone looks at your server page and sees 80% dead servers, it just looks dumb. Focus on a couple projects rather than spreading thin.

2. Get rid of the $250 (or however much) OVH dedi that sees almost no utilization and move to hosting each server on its own VPS on a provider like Linode/Akamai (or continue using OVH) and have the server owners pay for them. If the owners want to run a server, they can pay for the costs to run it. Whatever money (if there is money left from the haydays) Caution has left should be used for step 3. This is highly controversial and I totally stole this idea from Haggard's spin off community back in 2014.

with shared resources like sourcebans just have another server for that with iptables for whitelisting the gameservers to access or use private networking on whatever provider you're using. i partially recommend this because it's easier to size up/size down shit this way btw. also not to stroke my own dick but ten years ago im pretty sure i told you guys to buy the hw and colo somewhere and if you wouldve LISTENED TO ME THAT WOULDVE SAVED WAY MORE MONEY REEEE

3. Buy a new domain that doesn't suck and rebrand. I'm sorry to say this but the day you lost steamgamers.com was the death knell for making this work. steamgamers.com is already a tough domain to run in 2023 (yes, I know you lost it way before 2023) with the amount of whack-ass phish sites, and honestly, it just attracts weird people thinking this is a Steam general help forum. But having a .net and a hyphen makes it progressively harder to retain people, especially when your logo has no hyphen or .net in the actual logo itself, attributing to people not remembering how to actually get to the site too.

My 2c is: buy a .io or .dev domain, think of a few cool ideas, and start getting community feedback. Rely on ideas or tributes to our predecessors and positive things. Make it short and sweet and accessible and not weird.

Going back to ZombieMurder might be cool, but honestly, almost none of us were even around during that time anyway. It might be time to hit the drawing board on this and consider options, get community input, and move forward.

(obviously keep steam-gamers.net and just redirect them to the new site)

4. Engage groups of players instead of individual people to run servers. I think the reason TTT has somewhat worked well is because it's not just one person doing all the work. It is a couple of people, and they lean on each other to revive the server from time to time, and that is what gets the growth. I don't really know/think that TTT has paid off that well for the community in terms of return, but I think part of that is back to #3 among other things.

5. Lean on Flavor of the Month (FOTM) opportunity. It looks like if you do FOTM, it pulls. I use something like Minecraft that came out a year or so ago as an example, which was hot and sexy for a few weeks, and this is going to lean into #6. But just observe trends and build out based on that. New game came out? Try to collect a couple of people to run a server and make that work, preferably someone who WANTS to do it. Once it fizzles, throw it away, that's totally ok!!!

6. Stop trying to do too much everywhere all at once and just do a couple good things and be good at it

6.5. Because 6 was lame I wanted to say stop being omnipotent gods and just get rid of internal discussions about direction or server ideas, just post them publicly and talk about them publicly. Take in community input and work with it and see what sounds cool and what people might like. I literally have no fucking clue what you guys are working on and I promise you nobody is eagerly anticipating a release date on anything you present, just be transparent. If someone gives you shit in a thread don't worry because 90% of the people who would complain at you do not have any interest in seeing this place grow and are merely here to crab bucket mentality you. This plays in heavily to #5 about using flavor of the month and #4 about engaging groups of players to do stuff

7. This is directed at everyone: Stop caring so much about growth, stop being a stick in the mud, stop being an asshole. Just have fun.

I know the above were all suggestions to try and grow, but I actually wanted to take a second and level set with you. The reason this community is not flourishing is because it's literally not a community. A community is a group of people with common interest, who work together and share common goals. Half of the community here is literally non stop up someone's ass 24/7. And honestly, for many years SG was the epitome of that and I participated and many others did and still do

I think people forget we're here to play games because they're fun, not because it's a side hustle or grind.

Few other things that deserve no numbers:

Already doing this but just give admin to people who seem OK. You guys basically did it with elfbarf and it worked out fine.
I would quit doing perms at this point and just hand out 1yrs which should be enough time to help people get straight and stop doing whatevs. perm for illegal shit is still aight. yes, even hacking can just be a 1yr. chances are they're not hacking a whole ass year later
I have some discord ideas but dont want to write them out but tldr just simplify shit and just have general video game channel instead of 20 small ones

giving up on grammar shit now

really hot take opinions:
just get rid of BD's you guys are literally cycling them every 3 months. have the current BD's be with AO's (and TA's who have AO) and have them all just do decisions
stop with the community meetings just post on here the ideas and let people discuss. i say this because i can never make that shit lol

ill think of more shit

• Like 14

• Content Count:  2167

oh using my brain i forgot that you probably shouldn't advertise which domains you want to consider because someone is going to nab them so you might just need to make an internal executive decision on which direction makes sense for that. i would choose something short and sweet, preferably easy to type with one hand xd

• Like 1

• Content Count:  310

sometimes i question why ur not a bd, but nevertheless this is a genuine plan on how to bring life to this place its a tuff pill to swallow but i think down sizing the box/dedi and possibly rebranding would be useful since i'm sure part of the dedi is just collecting dust and a name change would hurt at all since steam-gamers if i already didn’t know it was a forum/community would think its some shitty steam account stealing site

• Like 1
Edited by Iota

• Content Count:  819

Think the point that hits hardest to me here was the fact that we aren't a community.

Jazzy is 100% correct in saying this. How are we gonna boast servers when we can't even get our discord on track. Which is entirely community based. Focus on gathering people for events and fotm games right now there's a fuck ton of big games coming out why not capitalize on the fact people will be playing them.

If you commit to events and active population in the discord I'm sure you'll see results follow.

Edited by Hawks

• Content Count:  1051

i am retyping this for the third time, i hate my life

I will comment on what I think, my opinions don't stand for BDs or higherups, just me :)

9 hours ago, jazzy said:

Some of these may be controversial that's aight. They're simply my opinion and stuff. I have been on the internet a long time and seen many forums and communities come and go.

1. Backup the data for JB, retakes #2, and CSS GG, and close them. They see no play from what I've seen, maybe retakes a little. gg.steam-gamers.net is the listed server FQDN on the server page and it literally is a dead DNS record. Optics matter, and if someone looks at your server page and sees 80% dead servers, it just looks dumb. Focus on a couple projects rather than spreading thin.

2. Get rid of the $250 (or however much) OVH dedi that sees almost no utilization and move to hosting each server on its own VPS on a provider like Linode/Akamai (or continue using OVH) and have the server owners pay for them. If the owners want to run a server, they can pay for the costs to run it. Whatever money (if there is money left from the haydays) Caution has left should be used for step 3. This is highly controversial and I totally stole this idea from Haggard's spin off community back in 2014.

I don't think money is an issue at all, but I do agree with the optics. One thing to think about is that RPG servers in general are not doing great right now. Most communities are either struggling to keep pop up or closing their servers. Overall TTT and JB are in a tough spot on CSGO as it keeps leaning towards competitive. I know we have talked about changing things up (adding/removing servers), not sure where that would lead as to what servers, CS2 has kinda delayed that a little tho.

I don't think we would ever have someone pay to run their own server, it sounds decent on paper, but like you said; we don't want to turn this into a job. We want AOs to have fun and just manage a server they play on, it takes a lot of fun out of it if they are paying for it, also if it does not do well then they are just throwing their own money into the abyss. Not saying if we were going to get rid of a server and someone wanted to pay to keep it up we wouldn't, just won't make them.

9 hours ago, jazzy said:

3. Buy a new domain that doesn't suck and rebrand. I'm sorry to say this but the day you lost steamgamers.com was the death knell for making this work. steamgamers.com is already a tough domain to run in 2023 (yes, I know you lost it way before 2023) with the amount of whack-ass phish sites, and honestly, it just attracts weird people thinking this is a Steam general help forum. But having a .net and a hyphen makes it progressively harder to retain people, especially when your logo has no hyphen or .net in the actual logo itself, attributing to people not remembering how to actually get to the site too.

My 2c is: buy a .io or .dev domain, think of a few cool ideas, and start getting community feedback. Rely on ideas or tributes to our predecessors and positive things. Make it short and sweet and accessible and not weird.

Going back to ZombieMurder might be cool, but honestly, almost none of us were even around during that time anyway. It might be time to hit the drawing board on this and consider options, get community input, and move forward.

Not sure how I feel about this TBH, it could work and do well or could do nothing and lose a few people who used to know us as SG. Making a decision like this is pretty large, also we are by no means at the lowest pop SG has ever been, this community tends to go up and down a lot, would hate to do this and just go down. Not against it at all, just not sure how others would feel or if it even benefits us. You make some good points but also our community has to major search words as a title "Steam" and "Game".

9 hours ago, jazzy said:

5. Lean on Flavor of the Month (FOTM) opportunity. It looks like if you do FOTM, it pulls. I use something like Minecraft that came out a year or so ago as an example, which was hot and sexy for a few weeks, and this is going to lean into #6. But just observe trends and build out based on that. New game came out? Try to collect a couple of people to run a server and make that work, preferably someone who WANTS to do it. Once it fizzles, throw it away, that's totally ok!!!

I'm really glad you suggested this as it is something I was brainstorming and going to gather insight on soon. I was just talking the other day about how every time we open a Minecraft server it explodes for about a month and then falls off afterwards. Definitely will look into this more, seems like a great way to maximize a player base and get some fun gamin in with the fellas. Either way I agree and will be reaching in this direction soon personally.

9 hours ago, jazzy said:

6. Stop trying to do too much everywhere all at once and just do a couple good things and be good at it

6.5. Because 6 was lame I wanted to say stop being omnipotent gods and just get rid of internal discussions about direction or server ideas, just post them publicly and talk about them publicly. Take in community input and work with it and see what sounds cool and what people might like. I literally have no fucking clue what you guys are working on and I promise you nobody is eagerly anticipating a release date on anything you present, just be transparent. If someone gives you shit in a thread don't worry because 90% of the people who would complain at you do not have any interest in seeing this place grow and are merely here to crab bucket mentality you. This plays in heavily to #5 about using flavor of the month and #4 about engaging groups of players to do stuff

7. This is directed at everyone: Stop caring so much about growth, stop being a stick in the mud, stop being an asshole. Just have fun.

I know the above were all suggestions to try and grow, but I actually wanted to take a second and level set with you. The reason this community is not flourishing is because it's literally not a community. A community is a group of people with common interest, who work together and share common goals. Half of the community here is literally non stop up someone's ass 24/7. And honestly, for many years SG was the epitome of that and I participated and many others did and still do

I think people forget we're here to play games because they're fun, not because it's a side hustle or grind.

Few other things that deserve no numbers:

Already doing this but just give admin to people who seem OK. You guys basically did it with elfbarf and it worked out fine.
I would quit doing perms at this point and just hand out 1yrs which should be enough time to help people get straight and stop doing whatevs. perm for illegal shit is still aight. yes, even hacking can just be a 1yr. chances are they're not hacking a whole ass year later
I have some discord ideas but dont want to write them out but tldr just simplify shit and just have general video game channel instead of 20 small ones

In terms of internal discussions; if I'm being honest we don't really have them. There is not all this shit happening behind the scenes that you guys don't know about, which is partly an issue on its own. I just had everyone get together for the first "higher up meeting" we have had in quite a long time, and there wasn't any large plans created, more of a way to get everyone together and talking and see if there was anything wanting to be talked about. I'll give ya'll the consensus: Simplify and work on growing the community threw events and other small gatherings, we are small and should focus on building threw our current regs/players as we are probably not going to have a massive breakthrough in popularity randomly. I do agree that we should bring the regulars into decisions and brainstorming for most/all things we do here, it is actually something that I brought up and encouraged AOs/Server managers to do for their server. But ya to clarify we are not hiding anything we have planned, just with the uninformative release of CS2 we are in limbo as for CSGO servers. We have no clue how it will effect plugins or anything to do with community servers and don't want to make any big plans we have to abandon b/c CS2 did not go our way.

As for the community aspect I agree and think Hawks' point was good too. We should be focusing on the community itself before we try to release things that we don't or are unsure if we have a backing for. I have actually been planning to run a community game night/discord event and hopefully just get everyone together to play some games and have some fun, maybe a few drinking games for those that choose to participate. Sadly it has been minorly pushed back due to this hurricane trying to bend me over but once I have free time soon it will be a priority for me. I would also like to continue to do these events.

In terms of admins a agree and believe most of higherups do as well. We would love to gather more admins as these are also people to get involved and events and just hang out in the community. This kinda goes with the "simplifying" I mentioned before, but we are trying to be more discord oriented as forums in general are sadly dying, they are by no means going anywhere but we have moved things like admin apps over and hopefully a few more. As for perming im not sure about, the "console" or anticheat will autoperm someone for cheating, not that it couldn't be changed. I will say in terms of surf or bhop this will probably never be changed; it is already very hard to catch cheaters in these gamemodes and cheating goes back years in these communities, we also have to go threw and clear each record when this happens. I do think perms themselves can be more lenient tho, there will always be exceptions to this as there are people with a large history that have been given chances that they choose to ignore, appeals act as a way to figure out if someone is acting different/cares about how they acted before.

9 hours ago, jazzy said:

really hot take opinions:
just get rid of BD's you guys are literally cycling them every 3 months. have the current BD's be with AO's (and TA's who have AO) and have them all just do decisions
stop with the community meetings just post on here the ideas and let people discuss. i say this because i can never make that shit lol

It is hard to comment on this without seeming like I am butt hurt but do note that I care about SG as a community way more then my role as BD and this is by no means just because I am BD.

I'm sure this has been talked about before but it is very hard to get rid of this role. BD acts as the "this needs done" at the top end of the community for community driven things (for exp, giving perms to new admins, giving rewards to contest winners, fixing issues with individuals logins/ranks/bans, and a lot more small things). At this point the BDs act as less of decision makers, AOs are brought into almost every discussion including ban appeals and have the power to make their own decisions most of the time (obviously together not as an individual). With all that said they do not have access to do everything in SG (it would be a shit show to change all the information every time an AO steps down), BDs act as a person for AOs to reach out to when little things need done. Getting rid of them would make it all fall on the P and VP and TM, which I can tell you this would slow a lot down and lessen certain things getting done.

All of this is just my 2 cents with a little bit of info from higher up discussions or knowledge, just wanted to voice my input. Also I realized that some of it might sound negative or rude, truly didn't mean it; I have typed this 3 times now, one because my power went out and one because my google crashed, so was just pissed I had to type it again. :) 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1469

6 hours ago, Hawks said:

Think the point that hits hardest to me here was the fact that we aren't a community.

Jazzy is 100% correct in saying this. How are we gonna boast servers when we can't even get our discord on track. Which is entirely community based. Focus on gathering people for events and fotm games right now there's a fuck ton of big games coming out why not capitalize on the fact people will be playing them.

If you commit to events and active population in the discord I'm sure you'll see results follow.

Still a community you have people coming around, it’s just not a highly active one due to the fact that people always prioritize more important irl stuff to do than be part of the community. So no one does anything

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1920

3 hours ago, GG EZ said:

Still a community you have people coming around, it’s just not a highly active one due to the fact that people always prioritize more important irl stuff to do than be part of the community. So no one does anything

^^

Our community targets a specific age demographic. While there will always be a trickle of younger people coming in, the vast majority of our community base has remained the same since the time I came here. When I came here, I was 14, I am now 22. Most of the community base that made the community thrive in the early-mid 2010s are now working-class adults with busy lives, and in some cases spouses and children. People will always pop back in from time to time just to see how good ol SG is doing, but unless there is a massive culture change or everyone in the 20-35 age bracket magically comes back online, this sort of thing will be a perpetual cycle of someone from a while ago comes back, becomes active, does a little work in staff, steps back down.

Not knocking on the process, but at least from my eyes, it feels like there really hasn't been a new wave of players that stuck around since probably the start of covid. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  84

17 hours ago, jazzy said:

6.5. Because 6 was lame I wanted to say stop being omnipotent gods and just get rid of internal discussions about direction or server ideas, just post them publicly and talk about them publicly. Take in community input and work with it and see what sounds cool and what people might like. I literally have no fucking clue what you guys are working on...

I agree, I don't have time to join the community meetings either, so I have no idea what's happening.

1 hour ago, Phoenix_ said:

Our community targets a specific age demographic. While there will always be a trickle of younger people coming in, the vast majority of our community base has remained the same since the time I came here. When I came here, I was 14, I am now 22. Most of the community base that made the community thrive in the early-mid 2010s are now working-class adults with busy lives, and in some cases spouses and children. People will always pop back in from time to time just to see how good ol SG is doing, but unless there is a massive culture change or everyone in the 20-35 age bracket magically comes back online, this sort of thing will be a perpetual cycle of someone from a while ago comes back, becomes active, does a little work in staff, steps back down.

Not knocking on the process, but at least from my eyes, it feels like there really hasn't been a new wave of players that stuck around since probably the start of covid. 

To me, this community consists almost solely of former staff members who lurk on the forums and Discord but no longer play on the servers. In my eyes, there are two separate, distinct groups of people. The first group is the "old" SG community, which includes everyone as Phoenix_ described. The second group comprises new players who have yet to join the community but are regulars on the servers. Back in the day, there was a good ratio of community members and regulars playing on the servers. However, it now seems to me that almost no one from the community plays on the servers anymore, and this is one of the reasons why I believe the community has stopped growing. I play on what I believe is currently the most popular SG Server, Surf, and I have only ever seen @triou playing regularly. Keep in mind that the staff page currently lists 49 people who I assume are supposed to be active staff to some degree, with a combined total of 204 staff members if you include legends. Every server other than Surf and Bhop appears to be dead based on the player count (Don't know about MC). So, if no staff are playing on these other servers, what is everyone doing? This whole community seems to look like an upside-down pyramid scheme with staff outnumbering the players. Is everyone in the community simply lurking on the forums and Discord and too busy with life to play? I was just thinking that if I were a completely new player coming to SG, I wouldn't have much incentive to join the community beyond occasional monthly events or something, I wouldn't know anyone in the community. 

On a somewhat related note, I believe the !shop prices should be adjusted in some way. It currently takes 167 hours of straight playtime to earn a single 10,000-point surf skin as a non-subscriber. Perhaps offering credit signup bonuses on the forums or some other adjustments could be considered. This situation seems unreasonable and could be another reason for players to leave.

17 hours ago, jazzy said:

Hot Take: They play games?

Keep in mind I only play casually on the Surf server now, I used to main CSGO TTT in 2018. I don't consider myself to be the "old" SG community, I'm somewhere in-between old and new, as almost everyone I've know from back then is no longer active. I don't know who all is active and when/where anymore. All I know that this has been my experience for the past ~6 months playing surf.

• Like 1
Edited by EpicFP
correction

• Content Count:  819

4 hours ago, GG EZ said:

Very true we both experienced that first hand

its just a fact that's how most upper staff get from time to time

• Content Count:  5377

On 8/30/2023 at 12:29 AM, jazzy said:

with shared resources like sourcebans just have another server for that with iptables for whitelisting the gameservers to access or use private networking on whatever provider you're using. i partially recommend this because it's easier to size up/size down shit this way btw. also not to stroke my own dick but ten years ago im pretty sure i told you guys to buy the hw and colo somewhere and if you wouldve LISTENED TO ME THAT WOULDVE SAVED WAY MORE MONEY REEEE

1) Agreed. 20 CSS bots being listed is carrying the "12 servers x players" info every time I've checked recently.

2) Disagree on having AO's foot the bill on their own servers. While centralizing resources and ownership can be a burden at times it is overall a much more efficient way to manage and run an operation like this. Decentralizing leaves the door open for the people involved to do some very underhanded things if relationships sour.

Considering Caution has previously stated money isn't an issue when it comes to keeping the community afloat I don't necessarily think this is something anyone other than he should be worried about.

Might as well since things are about as dead as it can be. Nostalgia aside the current naming of the community does seem silly to anyone not involved at this point.

4. Engage groups of players instead of individual people to run servers. I think the reason TTT has somewhat worked well is because it's not just one person doing all the work. It is a couple of people, and they lean on each other to revive the server from time to time, and that is what gets the growth. I don't really know/think that TTT has paid off that well for the community in terms of return, but I think part of that is back to #3 among other things.

consider not running off all the people who could theoretically provide actual value to said servers going forward. Half the reason this place is in the state it is today is relationship and asset management. The other half is decision making or the lack of decision making at times.  

Advocated for this multiple times over the years. The only issues here is finding ways to convert in-game interactions into membership in environments that are not exclusively branded or controlled by us. In addition it takes certain personality types to be dedicated to growing the community this way and there doesn't seem to be a lot of passion for the community at this point.  

Outside of a Police RP server that I have no idea is active or not and a return to GMOD TTT which I also have no metrics on whether its active either, what else has been going on recently? Not asking to be a dick, just out of the loop.

BD's aren't being omnipotent gods at this point - While I have also advocated for transparency at the rank, I don't think it would be of any use at this point considering the engagement and groups left. Would be a great idea if interest eventually returns, but, for the time being just promote the people who need to be promoted based off of interest, dedication, and motivation. considering the dynamics of this community and community servers as a whole: opening the floor to the general population is just laying out ideas and providing evaluations on personnel for other communities.

Haven't engaged seriously with this community on any level for around a year before this response so I'm not entirely sure what the general sentiment of regulars, basic staff, higher-up staff is, but, without active population this is essentially a nostalgia trip or a trolling grounds for those still here or returning.

How are people supposed to have fun when the servers, forums, and discord are dead? With the new player/member pipeline collapsing the community is essentially a place for the last two cliques left here to circlejerk and for everyone else not involved to look back on with fond memories and what-ifs. 

Community has trended in a horrible direction over the last few years. I agree with what has been said here. Comes back to relationship management and decision making at the end of the day. Place has always been Clique-y, but, allowing certain groups to run rampant and pushing other groups out due to interpersonal reasons has been the death sentence. 

Overall, place still has nominal interest at this point which means if you can get people on the same page things can be salvaged. There will always be a contingent of members that have love for the community and the memories made here - just have to organize and incentivize people better to achieve the desired results.

• Like 3

Reply to Thread