? servers

? players online

Final goodbye!

Guest barackobama

Hi SteamGamers.

This is pretty much a goodbye from me.

I understand I left SteamGamers on pretty bad terms with the community, this is because of many factors. The biggest one being the anger of the community, malicious lies, and frankly people believing anything they read without even allowing me to explain the situation.

I understood, and expected people to be disappointed and upset, but unfortunately I never knew SteamGamers to be so spiteful to someone who cared, and wanted the best for the community. I invested a lot of my time in to SteamGamers, and I'm fully aware many other people did.

Regardless of what people say, I had the full right to sell SteamGamers.com, and all it's content. People seem to mistake I'm not some 18 year old kid selling a site,*I had all the necessary legal advice from my lawyers before selling SteamGamers.com and all it's content.

Regardless of what individuals preach, such as PotShot, I had no legal problems selling the site, and PotShots threat of getting the law involved was never upheld, even his efforts to get his paper pushing "law" friend LegalSmash involved failed. (old fagz gunna rage!)

SteamGamers was always my priority no matter what I was doing, I guess I can say it's a relief that I left SteamGamers after the malicious properganda to try and get people who didn't even know me to turn on me. I really did enjoy seeing the flocks of users who didn't even have any idea what happened behind the scenes try and debate and preach what sort of person I was. It was also immensely ammusing at the amount of suck ups who of course changed their minds on me the minute more malicious rumors circulated.

I also want to explain another main point of the anger. First it was because I sold SteamGamers, then I was a "bad" leader, then it's because I sold SteamGamers off other peoples hard work. I'm still trying to work out which one the "rebels" are going to stick with.

I once never forced any person who did anything for SteamGamers to have to work, or do jobs. Of course if someone was inactive for a period of time it would be discussed for them to be*removed. My point comes to the dictatorship comments. All jobs were volunteer. I also think the volunteers knew this. It happened with Haggard, why wouldn't it happen again? I apoligize to any of the staff who may of been upset that all the hard work they did was for nothing, but it wasn't for nothing. SteamGamers has been sold to someone who can truly get it to the level it deserves.

Let me explain dictatorship:

1. a country, government, or the*form of government in which absolute power is exercised by a dictator.

2. absolute, imperious, or overbearing power or control.

3. the office or position held by a dictator.*

"the*form of government" - This then would be the CA's/AO's/BD's - Any changes I wanted to make would be discussed with a majority of people. I made countless topics in the CA section, but due to the lack of CA's and the care to help the community these topics soon became inactive and died. The AO's/BD's on the other hand put good input in to choices. I never acted to do anything alone, apart from small changes that would not affect the running of the community.

"overbearing power or control" - If you call trying to improve the community, overbearing power or control, then I'm guilty. I would like to remind people I was never one to get involved in Admin Complaints, bans or any other thing to do with control or power. I would rarely ever give my input in to any such thing. I on occasions banned forum spammers, or spam bots. Guilty as charged.

"the office or position held by a dictator"* - I was the "President/Owner" - In any place, any business, community. You need someone who has the final say. Without this person, it turns in to a war of words, debates, and anger. A group of 6 individuals can never decide something and all be happy. One person has to make the final call. Unfortunately that task came down to me.

I also want to come to the banning of TNS Members. I had my reasons, and many people know both communties are not innocent in any matter. But the whole point was to stop any drama, because no matter what*I had to much passion for SG, and hated it when we were slagged off by people who equally used to love SG, and some who still do.

I always promoted feedback on many of our sites, I even opened up AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Twitter for people to give feedback on our community, myself and other staff at SG. So seeing people tell malicious lies to people who didn't know the full story is just low and bad. Not once did I ever ban someone for giving us feedback on our communuty, unless it broke any rules, i.e Racist, abusive, trolling, etc.

SteamGamers really did take up a large part of my life, and I look back now and really see how much time it took up. I decided to sell SteamGamers due to every day stresses, and a lot of pressure of real life situations.*I have been sick for a little while. I won't go in to it very deep, but health complications also played a big part in me selling SteamGamers. Also as many people found out, I was buying a MacBook Pro at the time of the sale. No proceeds from the sale have gone to my MacBook Pro, this was just bad timing on my part. I also posted under the name GarfieldH on the Mac Forums, so therefore that shows I was not hiding anything, I for one know if you google my name results would link back to the forum.

Regarding the sale of domains registed by me. I'm confused why people would be upset at me selling these domains: ShitGaming.com, Minecrafting.co.uk, MienCraftGamers.com - I registered all these domains. They were never for SG, but I decided to link MineCraftGamers.com as a joke to SG while*I was working on another small project. So to the people who said, you're selling "our" domains, no I was not.

On to SteamGamers.co.uk - This again is my domain. I was at one point going to change SteamGamers.com to Co.uk, naturally me being English I wanted this. But I knew that other staff would not agree if I suggested it, therefore I didn't even suggest it.

On me selling SteamGamers.com, this was at the point I wanted to change it to .co.uk - ideally at the time I was curios at the amount it would of gone for, and I won't try and brush it off, if I would of got $2000+ for it, I would of taken it. I very much doubt many people would not off (regardless of what people say "No I wouldn't" it's bullshit, you're human, you've been brought up with money all your life, it's in your nature to make it). This doesn't mean I didn't care for the community. But at the time it was a common sense thing to do. Regardless of this, I did have a offer for $1500 from a outside person. But when I realised that it was a bad idea to change to .co.uk I rejected it.

Now to the sale of SteamGamers.com - I had been looking to sell it for around 3 months, and had discussed it with several users who I trusted within the community not to say anything, and who could give me advice. It seemed at this point with the direction SG was going it was the best option. I had many offers, even one for a very high amount of money. I also listed it on flippa and other sites to gain interest, then would cancel the auctions straight after so people would have to PM me. My main worry was finding someone who could bring out SteamGamers full potential. I met Amit and a few other people. Amit's offer for SG was not the highest, I had 1-2 offers higher by at least $2000-3000. The other offers were people who wanted to suck SG dry, this I DID NOT WANT. Amit had great ideas for SG, I was fully aware he never played our servers, or the games we play. But limiting it to people who play the game would of been very hard. After a day days discussing with Amit and meeting Charles I was happy to sell it to him.

Regarding me offering the community to the community, this was not possible. 40+ people buying it. Who would run it, deal with money, deal with the main accounts? 40 people trying to decide things. People moaning they helped buy it so they should*decide what happens.*It's easy to say it would work out, but when it would of happened, it would of been disaster. SG does not have the right set of mind for that task.

I had been approached to buy SteamGamers, of course I would of always liked to of run it, but I never thought Haggard would approach me and offer it to me. Of course I took it because I wanted to keep SteamGamers as SteamGamers and not have SG sold to the first buyer outside of SG. (I'll explain the irony soon) - I took on the grim task of trying to restore some order after some months of neglect from Haggard. I think I and the staff did a good job, things were looking up for SG, people were happy. I was not perfect, I made mistakes, I'm only human. My dreams for SG didn't go the way I wanted, I had NO tech experience what so ever, so I had to wait for other people. But as Astrum's thread said, once I took over he had no desire to help SG, but at the time I didn't know this. I would wait for many weeks for things to get done (such as VB4)*struggling I promoted Jager to VP. For a short time things got done, but due to sickness Jager would not be around. So again I was stuck. I tried unsuccesfully to learn to fix things, but the amount of work needed done, I could not do. So I was stuck. With the site falling apart bit by bit, I had no one to go to.. I was also embarrassed to ask for help from people. My fault yes, but it's just the way I was.*I was upset with myself, I had a lot of good plans for SteamGamers which didn't materialise due to this. I was angry at myself for not being able to fix the problems. I could blame it on Astrum for letting me down, and not being motivated. I wished he would of told me from the start he didn't like me owning the place. I didn't want to step on his toes and get someone else involved. I'm a considerate person, I'm thankful for things people do, I'm a nice person.*Last thing I wanted to do was get someone else in and upset Astrum. But that's life.

Irony - Yes I stopped Haggard selling to outside people, then sold it myself. But SG needed someone who didn't know the community, so they good fix the issues and look outside the box, not just have SG values stuck inside them!

I wanted to thank everyone, I won't do personal thanks here, I have done some in the AO section (for staff and non staff) , but it's a thanks to everyone who is a part of SG. Thanks for your feedback, criticism, conversations and joyful gaming.

Regardless of what has happened, I was really let down by some people. People I saw as friends and trusted. But bandwagons are bandwagons.

I also can't cover everything that happened at SG, so things wil be missing, and I won't be able to defend myself as I won't check the forums again.. But as long as I know you're aware of most things. I truly do mean what I said about SG being here in 10 years time and people remembering it in 40 years!

All in all, I only really wanted the best for SG... and it seems it's happening already. For the time being it's best for me not to be here, I may take Amit's invitation and return one day to continue helping the community I spent 3 years of my life trying to help.*But for now, I truly wish everyone a good day, a good year. Take care.

p.s I understand as I said last time, things out of context will be posted. People will pick things up, etc. I understand, but please read my post first before you go believing random stories from people.

Love ya xxxxxxxx

• Like 17

• Content Count:  4123

What happened is in the past, can't go back and change things, so let's embrace the future of SG with Amit and Charles.

I do believe you had a good heart and intentions for SG, maybe one day we'll see you again Garfield.

• Content Count:  1236

I think the asterisk on your mac is broken. (Is it also coincidental that the "Down payment" on the community was roughly the same as the mac?)

To do a really short formed reply (Finally don't have to hold back in fear of being banned) You really were a bad leader. And I'm not going to go off to make this another one of those stupid "loool garf is gone i can make fun of him all i want now loool" You know more than anyone that I've never liked you. You bought your way into this community, and now you've bought your way out.

To me, you selling to Amit is no different from selling to anyone else (He seems to be doing fine; i've not seen many changes yet). I'm not here that much anymore. but it's just so dumb that you made that "I understand" thread, clearly just begging for solace. You could have went about the whole selling situation much more gingerly, and you wouldn't have to be in the situation you are in now. But clearly, you don't have enough tact to do so.

Anyway, the community is far better with you gone, even if i'm not here that much. It started to die the day that you became president (The same day I decided to become inactive. Coincidence, eh? )

So yeah, if you're looking for more comfort, you won't find it. You've dug your own grave, man.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread