? servers

? players online

BuildRP Server

• Content Count:  1747

I wouldn't criticize their opinions if they had valid reasons or arguments to go with them. You didn't read my post very clearly, my point was that it was bias because a vast majority of the posts putting Sleggie down only have the reason of "I don't find BuildRP fun, therefore this is a shitty idea". Which is not a "valid" opinion, it is an opinion I will give you that, but it gives no reason to hold that opinion valid for turning down the idea, or putting Sleggie down in a way for suggesting/working on it.

If you require a valid and clean explanation for denial, you should also require a valid explanation for acceptance. Just a thought.

You want me to take your opinions seriously? Convince me, don't just say "I don't like buildRP, therefore this community should not have one and you should stop posting about it". You are taking insult because I am not recognizing the community not wanting a buildRP server, and think that we should not get one because it won't get populated. Let me explain this very clearly:

SG is getting none of it's current (and wanted, mind you) servers consistently populated, even though people would actually say they WANT to populate them. That is the reason for suggestions, and considering Sleggie is putting all the effort into coding, it takes very little of our time to put up a BuildRP server. A new server is a possibility of new population with new players coming into the community. Whether or not you, yourself, will populate it I don't really care, we have open space on the dedi because of dying servers (which people were sad to see go, but never populated..huh.) and therefore I am willing to put up this server whether you guys want to play on it or not. It's a new server, new gamemode, directed at a new playerbase, where we spend zero effort putting it up. If you can't see how this is an obvious benefit to the community, just stop posting in the community suggestions section.

As I said earlier, an idea does not need to be fully accepted by the community, since more ideas = better chances of getting population, so it is always good to try everything, I do appreciate that. However, this is still a community and taking that in account, the community is what it matters most because, well, what would be sg without people? Publicly invaliding a massive part of the arguments is not really a good thing to do around the community, you simply could basically be calling out someone that didnt bother to explain his point or felt like the point has been explained by others.

As you said, there are other ideas, true, but where is the execution? I'm gonna fall down the off-topic road a bit and call out the example of csgo ze. CSS ZE died, most ze old regulars that are still around beg for a csgo ze server for months. Massive support from the community about the idea. A good idea to bring people around the community. But, where is it? Where's that server?

I'm sorry but if you pick projects that are undersupported and pretty much pre-done (mind it, not criticizing the server idea) rather than actually building a ze server that has been requested a few times now by a massive number of people from the community, something is definitely wrong.

But lets get objective, I'm gonna make this as cleaner as I can. I appreciate you are still taking this project, new servers can bring new people. What I don't want is to see you trash peoples opinion, even if not properly explained. It was just completely and utter useless and pointless.

Also, lol @BoM's sig.

• Content Count:  4798

Let me say that this is a good idea. I think Xeno should start setting this up right now, he is best suited for this job. 100% support from me, good luck with this.

Edit: oh and if you play less than 24 hours on this server than I disregard all of your suggestions for the next 2 years.

• Like 3
Edited by SilentGuns

• Content Count:  940

Alright listen up. I want all you ******* to stop arguing before I murder you all. From what I've understood, the project will go into its testing stages this weekend.

First off, Zaraki, stop trying to bring CSGO into this. Im sure people are working on it atm, so please stop. Thanks.

Pan, democracy is a lie.

Spyder (and Zaraki too), the anti minge stuff is supposed to be pretty darn good. Its supposed to stop flinging props, prop kill, prop surf, etc. It will really, really help. In addition to that, I myself will help administrate. Ive also made an admin's guide in a pdf file. It suggests what to punish people for, how not to abuse, etc. Ill make a thread about it, and use it as the MOTD.

XeNo, thanks for everything.

And for everyone else, keep in mind that if it flops, it flops, and if it doesn't it doesn't. Mmk?

Whats left?

-adding a couple of addons (sprinkles)

-uploading to dedi

-quick test & fixing

-giving non addon things such as mingeproof things, world prop adder, ULX (I think), MOTD, loading screen, etc.

-forum section with update thread and motd thread

-quick test & fixing

-final revision

-population

OVtulgl.jpg

VGqUPJq.jpg

• Content Count:  3178

Alright, just to shed some information on our previous experience with RP in this community.

Firstly the worst one: DarkRP.

I was the one mainly managing this mod, but I have to agree, I failed horribly.

It was meant to be a customized DarkRP, but sadly we had trouble getting everything to work, textures didn't want to render (or not completely), lots of errors in the default DarkRP code which I had to fix, and believe me, at that time, the code of DarkRP was written like that guy had fatty fingers with shit covered all over them, so many typos, syntax errors, misuse of functions, etc.

People were QQ'ing all the time asking why it isn't released yet, so I tried to rush things, which wasn't really the greatest idea.

On release, everything seemed to work.. for the first hour. Then all hell broke loose. Errors that I have never seen when testing alone arose (still from the owner of DarkRP). Lots of stuff causing lag, etc. So after a long time tinkering on the code, people lost interest and it became too much time-consuming for me to fix everything, so I decided to just quit the project.

And now for PERP.

Paralyzed bought the gamemode (which we are thankful for this that you did it to support us!), had a few bug/errors in the code which he, Spiral and Chainedlord fixed.

An admin named Guy had a great Dedi to host this on and provided it to us for use, in exchange he would be able to also manage PERP.

Sadly that decision soon turned against us, as he started to abuse his powers on PERP, thinking he could get away with it, so after a while we decided to switch over to Amit's second Dedi as the host. Everything worked fine, until some DDoS' came our way.

We had quite some issues with it, but we kept an active userbase after the DDoS'. The higher ups also had to deal with quite some admin abuse, but nothing we couldn't handle.

After all of this, we lost contact with Amit, he never showed up anymore and never payed the bills for the second Dedi, so Spartan had to jump in with SG's funds to cover it for another month or so and Amit promised to pay it back (never happened).

So eventually we had to decide to drop the second Dedi, which contained PERP and some other gameservers. Byebye PERP.

TL;DR: DarkRP: Died because of bad developer and insufficient time to finish it.

PERP: DDoS issues and mainly expensive Dedi which never got paid anymore.

Before I am going to make any promises with Yes or Nos, I have a few question that in my opinion are important to know more about before even thinking of getting this started. (Speaking of past experience).

• What exactly is BuildRP? Your description of it is exactly the same how most of us would describe DarkRP. Any more info?
  • This Anti-Minge tool that you speak of, could you explain what it does? Because not needing an admin 24/7 as you said, means that this plugin has to be one of the best anti-minge/grief tool ever.
  • I saw you mentioned FAdmin, unless this has anything more than our current TTT admin plugin, I will disable FAdmin through the code, because you can't remove FAdmin's files without breaking DarkRP (IF WE EVER GET THE SERVER).
  • You said the F4 is not included and that it costs 20$, what do you mean by this?
  • What are those good and fun tools you speak of which most servers don't have, and what do they do?
  • How big is the gamemode in total? (The size of the folder which contains everything in it).

I might have forgotten some stuff.. but oh well, I might remember them later.

EDIT: Ah yes, I remember, for DarkRP, it wasn't specifically 1 developer's fault for the errors, but simply because it had switched owner a couple of times, which resulted in a couple of people messing with the code and breaking the other owner's code etc etc, resulting in a shitfuck of a program.

• Like 1
Edited by Nishok

• Content Count:  1747

Alright listen up. I want all you ******* to stop arguing before I murder you all. From what I've understood, the project will go into its testing stages this weekend.

Discussion differs from arguing.

First off, Zaraki, stop trying to bring CSGO into this. Im sure people are working on it atm, so please stop. Thanks.

Im not really sure what the hell do you mean with this. Are you looking forward to always have your will in first and no one can actually comment on it?

Because that was totally a suggestion wasn't it?

2014-05-14_2343.png

Spyder (and Zaraki too), the anti minge stuff is supposed to be pretty darn good. Its supposed to stop flinging props, prop kill, prop surf, etc. It will really, really help. In addition to that, I myself will help administrate. Ive also made an admin's guide in a pdf file. It suggests what to punish people for, how not to abuse, etc. Ill make a thread about it, and use it as the MOTD.

All anti-cheat systems are only good when taken to the max, but im glad there are some for starters. Also, if the bold red part on your quote means you'll get server administrator at that server, I think we hit a wall there.

Alright Nishok, ill be more than happy to answer these questions.

-BuildRP is a game mode in which darkRP is mixed with building. People build bases, cars, helicopters, computers, flying ducks and much more. The RP part is to give your creation a purpose. For example, I build a police car with a cool light bar, nice sound effects, sleek look and a suspension system because I am a cop.

-The anti-minge tool simply blocks and returns prop damage, stops explosives from exploding, stops prop pushing, ghosts props when they spawn, stops players from flinging props and stops prop surf. This addon also allows you to edit the settings, so you can disable things and make it the way you want.

-GMod and wiremod have a lot of dangerous tools, such as hoverdrive controllers which can teleport people, turrets, explosives and much more. We need FAdmin to disable these tools and to set limits to other tools.

-The default F4 menu (what you press to change jobs and stuff) is kinda ugly. We can replace it by a much better looking one from coderhire such as this one: http://coderhire.com/browse/script/618/modern-f4-darkrp-250-supported

-The tools are: Advanced Duplicator 2 (allows people to save their creations after they leave the server), AdvBallSocket, Buoyancy (makes stuff float), fadingdoor, fin, parent (makes any moving creation one million times less laggy), precision (build with precision), smartsnap (build with extra precision), smartweld (weld stuff with ease, makes stuff less laggy), stacker (align things precisely), weight (chose an object's weight), wiremod (the jesus of all building tools; it includes everything to make cars, elevators, radars, e2, sound emitters, text screens, and much much muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more, the best part is that ITS ON THE WORKSHOP!)

-The total size is 791 MB. Id say about 90% of that goes to the M9K weapons. It will be added to the fastDL, but using the workshop. Therefore, it will be very fast to download, especially considering that almost everyone has it. Everything else is not client side, so they won't have to DL it. The server will ALWAYS be on gm_construct.

-Note that there's other things like the join/leave tag, printers, drugs, legs, etc. Also, despite not having a fancy F4 menu, we do have a nice hud.

• Content Count:  3728

Ive also made an admin's guide in a pdf file. It suggests what to punish people for, how not to abuse, etc. Ill make a thread about it, and use it as the MOTD.

Maybe it's an idea to discuss the rules with XeNo, who is going to set this server up rather than deciding on them all by yourself, I do understand that you seem to know more about BuildRP than anyone else here, but when it comes to rules at least an AO+ should take care of those and you could just simply assist / provide rules that you think are necessary. How not to abuse? Isn't that self explanatory? Simply don't use Admin powers to give yourself an advantage over other players. Don't see why that needs a guide. Then last; if the pictures you provided are supposed to be a MOTD, or a loading screen, they're terrible.

Edited by Paralyzed

Maybe it's an idea to discuss the rules with XeNo, who is going to set this server up rather than deciding on them all by yourself, I do understand that you seem to know more about BuildRP than anyone else here, but when it comes to rules at least an AO+ should take care of those and you could just simply assist / provide rules that you think are necessary. How not to abuse? Isn't that self explanatory? Simply don't use Admin powers to give yourself an advantage over other players. Don't see why that needs a guide. Then last; if the pictures you provided are supposed to be a MOTD, or a loading screen, they're terrible.

Oh yeah, I totally understand. Im going to show them to the AOs, no doubt. Those aren't MOTDs, they were just tests for fun.

• Content Count:  1064

server will ALWAYS be on gm_construct

Please Sleggie for the love of god find a bigger map.. Map is too small for what? a 24 slot server? 20? 15? If it gets full, there's gonna be no room to build anything, if someone makes a helicopter explode it could crash the server, someone builds something too big it could crash, etc.

I don't know any bigger/better buildRP maps, if I had the time id make a simple one but I have to start studying for my finals in June.

Also, I've been finding this to happen on lots of RP servers lately, besides having a pretty powerful computer, GMod still crashes on about every RP server I play on. Is this going to happen on ours?

also PM me if you need help testing

Reply to Thread