? servers

? players online

The effects of having a good mouse?

• Content Count:  501

So I have been playing CS for a little over 3 years. I have reached Supreme in MM, 16 eff in CEVO, and 12 RWS in ESEA. Although these may seem like decent stats, I've always had rather bad aim, and consider my game sense and recoil control to be the reasons I've come as far as I have. Last month, I participated in my first CS LAN, while my time got clobbered, I was able to hold my own. However, I have always used wireless mice (mostly Logitech), and every time I go to buy a new mouse at either RadioShack or BestBuy, the people always tell me that wireless mice aren't the best for gaming. I ended up getting a $50 racer mouse last weekend, when I tried playing with it, it felt so foreign (as you could expect from only playing with wireless mice), after hours and hours of trying to get a feel of the mouse I broke down and decided to return it to the store. I am very bad with computer specs and PC technology so I was wondering what some PC geeks think. Do non-wireless mice help with ur CS performance? Why was I so unable to adapt to a non-wireless mouse? What should I do?

• Content Count:  659

Well what mouse did you get? When you said racer I assume you meant razer. There are many different kinds of mice they sell and which one you get really impacts how it feels in your hand and how you play. Some are meant for Palm grip, some claw, and some fingertip trip. It depends which kind of grip feels natural to you. I would not recommend buying an expensive mouse if you don't know what kind of game or player it's meant for. Personally, when I bought a razer deathadder about a year ago I definitely felt an improvement in my aim. it's a pretty good mouse because it will feel comfortable in almost anyone's hand and you can use it to claw grip, finder tip grip, or Palm grip. You probably want to figure out what kind of grip you use then buy a mouse meant for fos games and your grip.

• Content Count:  501

Well what mouse did you get? When you said racer I assume you meant razer. There are many different kinds of mice they sell and which one you get really impacts how it feels in your hand and how you play. Some are meant for Palm grip, some claw, and some fingertip trip. It depends which kind of grip feels natural to you. I would not recommend buying an expensive mouse if you don't know what kind of game or player it's meant for. Personally, when I bought a razer deathadder about a year ago I definitely felt an improvement in my aim. it's a pretty good mouse because it will feel comfortable in almost anyone's hand and you can use it to claw grip, finder tip grip, or Palm grip. You probably want to figure out what kind of grip you use then buy a mouse meant for fos games and your grip.

Typo, it wasn't razer. It was a steelseries rival 100. And I've heard dpi thrown around before but not really sure how to properly set it.

• Content Count:  5674

I got a wireless mouse (Razer Mamba) last Christmas. I used it about once or twice and just kept on using my half-decent wired mouse. Just doesn't feel good to use for me personally.

For some reason the censor didn't really work well, but even then the feel of not having a wire just didn't work for me. I've never had problems with wired mouses because my desktop is on my desk so it gives me a lot of mobility. If you like the mouse you had and you go so far with it you should maybe try some other stuff.

New crosshair, aim maps, etc. and maybe something will help improve your aim rather than you going through the trouble of switching mouses.

• Content Count:  2579

I recommend from personnal experience a wire mouse, since those are more reliable and have a faster response time. I now have a SteelSeries Rival with I'm really happy with it. My previous mouse was a deathadder which was great, until one of the button cracked. I recommend you look up mouse styles like Ghost specified above, and find a wired mouse that fits your caracteristics.

• Content Count:  1719

Wired mice wil most likely always be better on paper. But every mouse is different. Personally I have a razer naga molten edition that I bough at some electronics store in 2011. Never had any issues with it. It looks badass, has a shit ton of buttons on the side which i use for binds and etc.

If you buy a 10$ mouse ad compare it to a 60$ one you will of course notice a difference in both quality and how it works with drivers and the usability. Cheap mice of will most likely have a slower response time, limited driver customizability and generally not being as comfortable. While if you buy a more expensive like some razer mice, you will often be able to customize it.

You've also got to factor in what the mouses intended use is. A mx master mouse from logitech is looked at as the best mouse to use for work and browsing, while gaming mouses often have more buttons and more customizeable drivers when it comes to binds, sensitivity, dpi etc.

I personally just bought a mouse that looked cool in my 11 y/o eyes and got used to it. But I hope we all can see the benefit of finding a good and comfortable mouse.

Edited by Post
Fixing grammar was on phone

• Content Count:  3052

It mostly comes down to personal preference and feel. Wired > Wireless (on paper).. But honestly, If there is a mouse you want and it is only wireless, you shouldn't let that deter you from buying it.

I also want to add: Get a good mousepad.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  11501

5+ years ago, the response time on wired would usually beat wireless. Nowadays, there are companies boasting that their response time on wireless is just as good as wired (I think Razer says this as well). I don't honestly buy it, but it could be 100% true.

Personally, I have always used wired. I like not having to replace batteries, and part of me still believes the response time is better on wired vs. wireless. I have no statistical study to back me up, so I could be completely wrong. I have used a Razer Deathadder for about 7-8 years. I'm on #2 right now; the first one lasted about 6 years or so. IMO it's a great mouse. When I used to play competitive CSS, I do an awkward grip between clawing / palming, and the shape of the deathadder really supported that. I don't need a bunch of fancy buttons for binds, it just makes the mouse awkward for me.

• Content Count:  1612

A lot of factors come into a mouse, especially one that needs to meet the precision of competitive CSGO gaming. Being one of the most important human interface devices, you should choose a mouse that suits you, and your needs.

The thing about CSGO is that when you use a device to do an action, such as aim, stutter-step, or even just to engage, you build up a muscle memory. This determines your ability in competitive with experience and skill. When you change certain aspects of input, such as Mouse sensitivity/DPI, Binds, and even the hardware itself (mouse, mouse-pad, keyboard), you alter your muscle memory, and how your brain operates when communicating with your body to create an action in game. Unfortunately, when altering these settings or hardware, you will have to "re-learn" how to do certain actions in game, such as aiming. When you buy a new mouse, it may take days to weeks for you too return to your previous level of aiming ability. Now, will buying a new mouse help with your overall aim? Perhaps, and I'll explain in detail...

When buying a gaming mouse, there are a few different key aspects you want to look for:

Does this mouse look like it will fit my needs, or is it too much?

This is a big one, you have different gaming mice made for different gaming specialties. You can spot them by looking at the sides and the top of the mouse. Does it have a shit ton of buttons on the side? That mouse is made for MMO's and MOBA's. The buttons are used as quick binds to activate different abilities, and some gamers use this instead of the keyboard, but it typically isn't used for CS:GO. However, my old Razer Naga had many buttons on the side that I used for binds in competitive TF2 back in the day (RIP) that made actions streamlined and easier than reaching fingers off the WASD keys to input a command. You can also use it for CS:GO for quick grenade access, but I don't recommend it unless you want too dedicate yourself to relearning grenade binds.

Are the specs up to par for competitive gaming?

When you use your mouse, you need to make sure that it will be able to handle simple tasks such as precise aiming from a distance, to 180 flicks accurately without any stutter. This is where you need to look to see what your mouse is packing exactly. You will be looking at the optical sensor, the "DPI", and the "polling rate". DPI for an FPS minimally should be around 800-1800MAX-DPI, and the polling rate should be at a minimum 500Hz for CS:GO.

Can you change the weight, feel, and/or look of the mouse?

Check the website or packaging for adverts such as adjustable weights, removable side and head plates, or software you can use to customize your mouse. I emphasize YOUR mouse because it is the mouse YOU are fragging with. Everyone is different, having the ability to change certain aspects of the mouse can give you the ability to experiment and find what is perfect for you.

Wired or Wireless?

Simply put, the technology nowadays makes booth of the streamless in terms of polling rate. A mouse’s polling rate is how often it reports its position to a computer. Both wired and wireless are nearly identical, except for the fact that if your mouse is wireless, it needs a battery. If you're not paying attention in the heat of a match, you may just end up with a low, or dead battery, causing troubles winning that 5v1 clutch. However, this is all personal preference, I would prefer the reliability of a wired mouse.

I currently use a Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse, it has two extra buttons on the top, one large thumb-button on the side, and two streamlined against the frame on the left side. I use the top buttons to change my DPI on the fly, the thumb button on the side to hold the lowest DPI for the smallest sensitivity, and two on the side for teamspeak, and toggling my walls muting teamspeak because goddamn the memes are too strong sometimes :larry:

Look for big brands the specialize in gaming mice such as Razer, Corsair, and (now) Logitech. Don't sell yourself short, yet, there is no need too buy a $200 mouse! Around $50 will get you a fantastic mouse with options too customize. Do some research online, check reviews, and if you can, go to a PC store to see the mice in person. Some stores will even have displays with the mice in the open, so you can physically feel the mouse and it's movements.

One last thing: GET. A. DECENT. GAMING. MOUSE-PAD. Don't buy a $2 mad catz xd 6x6 inch mouse-pad. Spend around $10, and get a larger mouse-pad if your desk can support it, and look into some CS-GO tutorial videos on training your sensitivity. You're mouse will perform much greater if use a decent mouse-pad, and you will love the difference.

You will not immediately get more skilled with a new mouse. You are going to get a bit frustrated at first, but trust me, download mouse AIM and TRAINING maps from the Steam Hub, play offline with bots, get a feel for your mouse, and practice, practice, practice. CS:GO is a highly physiological game, and it demands time and practice. Do your time, and you will be able to frag with the best of them.

Hope this helps, and quote or PM me if you have any questions~:SL4DE:

I'm about to throw this keyboard out the window because for SOME FUCKING REASON it keeps on double and triple tapping the "O" key and it's DRIVING ME MAD WITH SO MANY SPELLING ERRORS I FIXED IT.

• Like 1
Edited by SL4DE

Reply to Thread