? servers

? players online

Garry's Mod TTT

• Content Count:  4441

I can at least answer this

The original TTT server died because, after over a year of trying, we could not regain a stable population for a dying game. Many different changes were attempted and none of them were successful, and eventually the server was scrapped.

I honestly don't know how us having a gmod TTT server would go. Its around 6:30 rn, and as I look, I see about 3/4 of the current TTT servers are sitting at 0, and less than half of the ones with players have over 20. Now, my internet is shit right now, and I know yesterday when I looked, there were like 750 TTT server, and rn i'm only able to load about 400. But thats still a very high number of empty servers, considering that means that there are only about 20-40 servers that reach the same population as our CSGO TTT server.

However, your point about old regulars coming back still stands. Would that be enough to get our server on its feet? Maybe, honestly I couldn't tell you.

I guess it is up to the higher ups whether they want to spend the time/resources on this. I could see it going either way, although I'm still of the opinion that going back to GMOD probably isn't the best step for us.

Edit: And yes, you will argue that it is not a dying game. But we started having struggles with it around the 2012-2013 era, when it WAS dying (averaging less than 10000 players) and even when the population of the game itself got better, that didn't seem to increase the population on our server.

The 3/4ths of servers that are empty on any game are all toddlers attempting to start their own communities or buy it to play with friends, a lot of these servers stay up not cleaned up by NFO, Gameservers, Xenon etc.. until a new person rents the servers out. If you've ever missed a few payments on a TeamSpeak or Vent it normally takes the company awhile to pick up on it. Normally this same thing happens when you do it with any server (though I don't advise doing it in real life unless you'd like to be evicted). The reason I say that this doesn't matter is cause you look at SG now and we're a primarily CS:GO driven community. Go take a look at how many empty servers there are, it makes up roughly 1/6th of the server list, now by all accounts CS:GO is not a dead game (quite the opposite) hence why it's an extremely shitty way to judge how the games actually doing.

The main idea here is that #/% of dead servers /=/ Quality of a game.

I just want to clarify something else about one of my points, just to make it absolutely clear. I'm not strictly relying off of old regulars and our current community to glide us to victory with this but moreover stating that we have an awesome foundation to build on that other communities did/do not. We have a team of Technical Administrators, our own server box, an old community of people ready to come play the shit out of GMOD TTT, a large number of players who would hop over from our other servers etc.. My theory that GMOD TTT would be a great step for us stems from much more than this but it still stands that it's an excellent point, we have the resources, we have the experience, and we have a lot of community backing.. why not?

I have another important point that barely contributes to my agenda here, but nevertheless it's worth stating.

Just because Garry's Mod is doing great does not mean we will have a successful server, it is however another contributing factor.

I was one of the players who was constantly on around September 2012 to December 2013 and I can personally tell you that I don't remember the server falling in hard times at all. The community held that server up so fucking much even when the game was doing terrible, after my ban I remember quitting Garry's Mod for a pretty long while before returning a year later and playing the fuck out of DarkRP.

From that time in 2012-2013 Garry's Mod has grown nearly 3x it's player base from 2012.

Does this mean we will have success? Not for certain.

Does this increase our chances exponentially, as a pretty thicc community, to run a popular Garry's Mod TTT server? Abso-fucking-lutely.

• Content Count:  2103

The 3/4ths of servers that are empty on any game are all toddlers attempting to start their own communities or buy it to play with friends, a lot of these servers stay up not cleaned up by NFO, Gameservers, Xenon etc.. until a new person rents the servers out. If you've ever missed a few payments on a TeamSpeak or Vent it normally takes the company awhile to pick up on it. Normally this same thing happens when you do it with any server (though I don't advise doing it in real life unless you'd like to be evicted). The reason I say that this doesn't matter is cause you look at SG now and we're a primarily CS:GO driven community. Go take a look at how many empty servers there are, it makes up roughly 1/6th of the server list, now by all accounts CS:GO is not a dead game (quite the opposite) hence why it's an extremely shitty way to judge how the games actually doing.

The main idea here is that #/% of dead servers /=/ Quality of a game.

I just want to clarify something else about one of my points, just to make it absolutely clear. I'm not strictly relying off of old regulars and our current community to glide us to victory with this but moreover stating that we have an awesome foundation to build on that other communities did/do not. We have a team of Technical Administrators, our own server box, an old community of people ready to come play the shit out of GMOD TTT, a large number of players who would hop over from our other servers etc.. My theory that GMOD TTT would be a great step for us stems from much more than this but it still stands that it's an excellent point, we have the resources, we have the experience, and we have a lot of community backing.. why not?

I have another important point that barely contributes to my agenda here, but nevertheless it's worth stating.

Just because Garry's Mod is doing great does not mean we will have a successful server, it is however another contributing factor.

I was one of the players who was constantly on around September 2012 to December 2013 and I can personally tell you that I don't remember the server falling in hard times at all. The community held that server up so fucking much even when the game was doing terrible, after my ban I remember quitting Garry's Mod for a pretty long while before returning a year later and playing the fuck out of DarkRP.

From that time in 2012-2013 Garry's Mod has grown nearly 3x it's player base from 2012.

Does this mean we will have success? Not for certain.

Does this increase our chances exponentially, as a pretty thicc community, to run a popular Garry's Mod TTT server? Abso-fucking-lutely.

God you completely missed my point. There are over 700 gmod TTT servers, 3/4 of which are sitting at 0 population, and the others have an average of around ten(note I didn't actually do the math, but that's what it looks like by just glancing at it). Under the assumption that we won't become one of those 0 population servers, there's a fairly good chance we could end up being one of those ~10 population servers. Which is a lot of work to put in for 10 players on a week night.

I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm saying our chances don't look great.

And your argument that we have a steady population just waitin for us to bring the server back makes no sense to me. Where were these players when the server was up?

It's like talking about reopening a store that went out of business a couple years ago. Yeah, it had customers, but then they stopped coming. Now they say they want it back, but can we trust them to stay? Honestly I don't know, but personally I wouldn't reopen it, I would rather invent my time elsewhere

Honestly I'm not really against having a TTTgmod server, but I don't really care either way. I'm sure if a higher up wants to see it done, they will do it. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.

Edited by Octa

• Content Count:  2206

God you completely missed my point. There are over 700 gmod TTT servers, 3/4 of which are sitting at 0 population, and the others have an average of around ten(note I didn't actually do the math, but that's what it looks like by just glancing at it). Under the assumption that we won't become one of those 0 population servers, there's a fairly good chance we could end up being one of those ~10 population servers. Which is a lot of work to put in for 10 players on a week night.

And your argument that we have a steady population just waitin for us to bring the server back makes no sense to me. Where were these players when the server was up?

It's like talking about reopening a store that went out of business a couple years ago. Yeah, it had customers, but then they stopped coming. Now they say they want it back, but can we trust them to stay? Honestly I don't know, but personally I wouldn't reopen it, I would rather invent my time elsewhere

Honestly I'm not really against having a TTTgmod server, but I don't really care either way. I'm sure if a higher up wants to see it done, they will do it. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.

Exactly how I feel, I'd like to see it come back but from experience I do not think it will work. If there is a higher up that wants to do this, I will offer any help you might need that I can offer regardless

I didn't miss your point at all, also you don't gotta come off so on edge- cool ur jets dude.

Looking at brand new communities with a single server sprouting up and getting well over 10+ players simply shows that those 0 slot servers and 10 slot server have no bearing on us & if anything prove we have a great chance. I did take a look/ do the math and there is almost just as many servers sitting around 10 as there is servers sitting at around 20-40. Being that we have our own regulars going out of their way to play together on their own personal Garry's Mod servers we could get the server well past 10 easily and if you played during the MGT, we surpassed that number quite easily. On the days where we had 10+ of our own players on we did terrific hitting top 20 status on the server list for TTT. All we'd have to do is keep the server for 10+ for a little under a week and we'd create returning regulars and an independent functioning community- its not so out of the realm of possibility and is more likely to happen than not.

In all honesty I can't speak for where players were around the time the server died, but the time you said the server was on decline it was doing fine. One thing I will say however that it seems like it was the decision to make GMOD modded along with vanilla which seemed to contribute to splitting our GMOD guys between 2 servers and by in large killing the servers.

That along with our more entertaining regulars getting themselves banned, @Extreme Potatoes being a nincompoop and the switch over to CS:GO from GMOD all points to that after a lengthy couple years run it died due to our once loyal regulars being banned, losing interest or people simply growing up.

Edited by All Ts

• Content Count:  3462

While I am of a big fan of Garry's Mod TTT and will always prefer that over CS:GO TTT, I am not fully sure if a GMOD TTT server would actually be sustainable for more than a couple weeks to possibly a month. Yes, I love playing with old people on there a lot but let's actually think about something beyond the old people; new people from GMOD wanting to stay. I noticed when I was religiously playing GMOD for that weekend, we would mainly get one or two randies on the server who then would end up leaving soon after. I'm not saying that we cannot have a server because of this small sample size, but it is something that needs to be monitored. You cannot rely on a server to do well with just the main 10-15 old fucks populating it. We pretty much did that in our last year of having the server before I got AO and it unfortunately did not end well.

You also have to remember that there aren't too many GMOD TTT people out there looking for new servers that are strictly vanilla. People are looking for one of two things: Minecraft 24/7 servers (ick) and Customized, but not overly customized, TTT servers that include a store and other T weapons of the sort. Looking earlier today at the list of the most populated servers at the time via GT (not server rank) at about 3:30 EST, about half the servers were Custom/MC/Both. The other half were servers I either couldn't tell what they were based on the server name giving no info about said server or just in another language.

Another point that I just looked into was the fact that it's too damn expensive for the players that are from our CS:GO servers, who do not already have GMOD, to actually play the server. Since we would no doubt have maps that rely on having the CS:S textures, that would mean players need to buy both games if they do not have them already to even try out the server. The price of the two games combined is 30$, double the price of CS:GO itself.

However, if we do get to actually considering making this happen, then I suggest two things:

1. Test it out for a week. This way we would be able to take stats away from the weekday population and see if it's really worth keeping.

2. We should give out a bunch of copies of game in the following raffle after the server is released in order to give people the opportunity to play GMOD TTT. The only problem is the cost of this is going to be a bit much since you'll probably want to give out both GMOD and CS:S since you'd likely need both to play the server. Maybe be hopeful of a sale that comes around for those games to be profitable or something.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1592

You've all brought up good points and a lot of them speak for my feelings towards this idea. Maybe I have not played gmod ttt back in the day and I also don't play much on our csgo ttt, but I can say that I prefer gmod when it comes to this gamemode, no doubt. Advantages in customization, mods, ttt specific addons etc. all stack up against csgo (because csgo isn't a mod friendly game tbh). However, as much as I'd like to have gmod TTT back (I loved the MGT event) I can think of few things instantaneously:

• This isn't the first time someone wants to bring back an old server
  • Not entirely sure, but in almost all cases (or atleast 99% of them) people would beg for that specific server, but were not willing to populate it for more than a week
  • Said servers would die out in less than a month
  • The story likes to repeat itself

Therefore the question rises - if people will be willing to populate it and determined enough to try for more than a few days? If we were to actually make it a reality, what kind of ttt - vanilla, custom etc. Would you want a specific meeting to discuss the server details with our playerbase (or during a community meeting).

At the end of the day, it's still just my view on that and it's all up to higher ups.

• Like 1

@Nuclear Onion

While I think you're wrong on people not looking for Vanilla as CS:GO TTT is an awesome example of how community/players can make something extremely vanilla fun, I agree with a lot of your other points. The only other thing being that people don't need to pay $30, you can buy Garry's Mod and tack on the CS:S models afterwards at no money at all.

I would be more than happy to not only run a giveaway, but to make a step by-step tutorial for our CS:GO pals to get the materials/models over to Garry's Mod without having their pockets raped.

I'm willing to try it out though, I think that's a solid idea actually. I can only speak for myself when I tell you I'll give it a few weeks of hard effort/daily activity and run a giveway as I did with Rust. I believe we have many other community members both old and new (besides myself) who would immensely help jump this thing into a fully functioning server.

Edited by All Ts
muh grammar

• Content Count:  3462

@Nuclear Onion

While I think you're wrong on people not looking for Vanilla as CS:GO TTT is an awesome example of how community/players can make something extremely vanilla fun, I agree with a lot of your other points. The only other thing being that people don't need to pay $30, you can buy Garry's Mod and tack on the CS:S models afterwards at no money at all.

I wasn't exactly meaning that people can't have fun on vanilla servers, but the fact that I think about half of the people who do play GMOD TTT search for one of the two types of servers. It doesn't really matter how fun we can make our server, it's not what some people prefer, so we wouldn't have a chance to get them to join our server from the start for the most part.

I would be more than happy to not only run a giveaway, but to make a step by-step tutorial for our CS:GO pals to get the materials/models over to Garry's Mod without having their pockets raped.

That's alright too.

I'm willing to try it out though, I think that's a solid idea actually. I can only speak for myself when I tell you I'll give it a few weeks of hard effort/daily activity and run a giveway as I did with Rust. I believe we have many other community members both old and new (besides myself) who would immensely help jump this thing into a fully functioning server.

Let's hope so xd

:larry:

Reply to Thread