? servers

? players online

What did you get?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What did you get?

????

• Content Count:  660

The answer is 9. Glad my engineering degree is finally paying off!

Also, you cannot have 2 correct answers, I hope your trolling. One cannot be more correct than the other lol.

• Like 4
Edited by Noob^

• Content Count:  319

Its 9. Its basic math. Just use pemdas and you get 9 all day.

You fuckers are so lucky that i cant see what dumbass clowns voted 1 on this poll. After the boys free palestine, we coming for yall next

• Like 5

• Content Count:  8756

PEMDAS

1. Parentheses

2. Exponents

3. Multiplication / Division (left to right)

4. Addition/Subtraction (left to right)

6÷2(1+2)

1. 6÷2 (3)

2. None

3. Because the division is first - [6÷2(3)] = [6 ÷ 2 x 3] - you do the division first. [6 ÷ 2 x 3] = [3 x 3] = [9]

4. None

EDIT: I saw some posts on twitter saying "it's ambiguous because you could treat it as a fraction"; no you can't because there aren't any brackets around the bottom number.

If the equation was: 6 ÷ [2(1+2)] , then you could treat it as:

-

2(1+2)

= 6 / 2(3)

= 6 / 6

= 1

But because there are no parentheses, you have to treat it as:

(6÷2) (1+2)

= (3)(3)

= 9

EDIT2: Seems that the "left to right" trick with Ord of Ops isn't universally held. I invite you to read -https://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

Gives some contrasting opinion from the above on ambiguity.

• Like 7
Edited by Prez

• Content Count:  1583

When talking about the order of operations, "parentheses" just means that any calculations completely inside parentheses should be done first.

This what's getting people that passed 6th grade confused. Because of algebra, people often solve coefficients to parentheses the same way they would solve coefficients to exponents. This is not the case.

• Content Count:  484

Nah I’m serious about two answers, like it doesn’t really have two answers but like depending on how you’re looking at the problem (aka looking at the (1+2) as a number attached to the denominator or looking at it as it being attached to the numerator). If you look at the problem as the (1+2) being on the numerator, you’ll get 9 as your answer, but if you look at it as if it’s in the denominator you’ll get 1. So like the question is kinda up to interpretation. Obviously both aren’t right but depending on how you look at it, they can both be justifiable answers, just one makes more sense than the other.

• Content Count:  660

Nah I’m serious about two answers, like it doesn’t really have two answers but like depending on how you’re looking at the problem (aka looking at the (1+2) as a number attached to the denominator or looking at it as it being attached to the numerator). If you look at the problem as the (1+2) being on the numerator, you’ll get 9 as your answer, but if you look at it as if it’s in the denominator you’ll get 1. So like the question is kinda up to interpretation. Obviously both aren’t right but depending on how you look at it, they can both be justifiable answers, just one makes more sense than the other.

It’s 9 chief.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  2206

Except if your interpretation is wrong. This ain't English class chief there's right and wrong.

• Like 4

Reply to Thread