? servers

? players online

Directional Orders

• Content Count:  1920

The order doesn't cause much confusion at all. If a new type of order is given to the T's, they adapt and get used to it. The compass always pointing north will still tell you where the other directions are (Look at @Snootch 's example). Of course, if a player has to change their settings to play that's unreasonable, but no one has too.

I never said directional orders cause a ton of confusion, I simply asked why would you give a weaker order instead of something easier to follow and you didn't answer that. As far as the minimap goes, a fair chunk of our maps lack a proper minimap and they will be unable to follow directional orders since they have nothing to reference but their teammates. Granted, yes you can just follow your teammates, but you shouldn't have to rely on your teammates to be able to follow an order.

Like Caution said, if there's a bug in the player's client that sucks, but not our problem.

Literally, where does he say this? In this thread he says (and I quote) "Sometimes people get glitched, a map has a glitch, or settings interfere with whatever is going on. It's so much easier IMO to just say 'face (insert inanimate object here)'. There's no drama associated with it. While someone's settings or a glitch can be argued, map unfamiliarity is not a valid reason to not follow an order." You must have misread because he is explicitly stating that people having a certain setting or a glitch on the minimap are valid arguments.

You're overexaggerating it because this problem isn't that big of a deal. Yup strict CT's suck, is that your entire argument for this conversation?

No? My argument is that if people are unable to follow an order easily because of a setting they have, it shouldn't be allowed. I'm also arguing that there is a better method that's easier on everyone than this that was used for years and I don't understand why we switched to this trend in the first place. Much like one provides support to their arguments in a paper, noting that certain CTs will use this type of order to their advantage to try and get some free kills is simply supporting the argument the better method being superior and what is preferred and generally used.

• Like 6
Edited by Phoenix_

• Content Count:  1266

I'm not sure when directional orders became so popular, but orders were usually given by naming landmarks on the map. These days it feels like I'm playing Simon Says on JB whenever I hop on. The amount of time that is wasted each start of the round because the CTs have the Ts cha cha sliding in front of their cell just to give them warning shots with these directional orders is ridiculous.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  539

I said the arrow is there but it only faces one direction which is up towards the top of my monitor. It doesn't shift or rotate because I don't use those settings... ...Those of you who play CT on the regular should KNOW that this is an unreasonable order on maps with broken black minimaps. I certainly remember punishing CT's for it in the past for not listening.

EDIT: [ATTACH=CONFIG]20787[/ATTACH]

there are 2 types of minimaps. one where the arrow points north and moves around the edge of the minimap when you turn and one where it is always pointing on top. the one with the arrow moving makes it easy to tell which direction you're facing. the one that stays pointing up (what Snootch has) makes it impossible to tell which direction you are facing if the minimap is glitched and all black because it depends on the player model on the actual minimap. those settings don't make the map rotate but the player model on the minimap which is the issue here.

edit: [ATTACH=CONFIG]20795[/ATTACH]

The way we handled it before was only allowing directional orders on maps that had a working minimap, not a black abyss. So if you can see the actual map then it's a-okay.

...I always thought directional orders were dumb. Sometimes people get glitched, a map has a glitch, or settings interfere with whatever is going on. It's so much easier IMO to just say 'face (insert inanimate object here)'... ...map unfamiliarity is not a valid reason to not follow an order. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure when directional orders became so popular, but orders were usually given by naming landmarks on the map. These days it feels like I'm playing Simon Says on JB whenever I hop on. The amount of time that is wasted each start of the round because the CTs have the Ts cha cha sliding in front of their cell just to give them warning shots with these directional orders is ridiculous.

So I feel like directional orders like these often are orders designed to cause some kind of chaos or confusion and provide CTs with easy warning shots for people who aren't able to follow the order. Why say "face west" instead of "face back of cells" so you can check to see if any prisoners have any pistols? While I really, really dislike taking away freedom from the CTs and placing more intangible rules, in this case it seems like a lot more of a headache to keep directional orders than to just label them as unreasonable.

CT's are just using a basic game mechanic in order to more easily say "west" than saying "back of cells". It's a really petty thing and I wouldn't mind it falling under unreasonable, but I think it's all designed to just get more kills too…

...I personally don't mind directional orders themselves, but I can say for a fact they get pretty much abused by kill hungry CTs who just want some free kills from people who don't know there's a compass or don't have one based on their setting for radar. I think going forward it may be better to keep it how it was for the most part since I began playing here and base it off inanimate objects like Caution and Fantastic have said….

this is definitely the case for some people. some CTs purposely say “face south” really fast or mumble it so it sounds like “face cells” just so they can kill everyone for not following orders

I think rather than using compass bearings to get T’s to face a certain way it would be a lot easier to use landmarks on the map ie. face pool or face kitchen. this could be some sort of compromise between staff and players where CTs can name a direction but have to accompany it with a clearly identifiable building or map feature so that players with the other type of minimap can follow it easily, ie “take a step out and face east which is towards big cage”. CTs also have access to /marker which can be used to help Ts find a certain direction.

...Yes, ordering T's to look at an object instead is a better order...

Directional orders can be useful in certain situations… ...They shouldn't be used intentionally to confuse people, but they can be very useful still...

...I simply asked why would you give a weaker order instead of something easier to follow....

...As far as the minimap goes, a fair chunk of our maps lack a proper minimap and they will be unable to follow directional orders since they have nothing to reference but their teammates. Granted, yes you can just follow your teammates, but you shouldn't have to rely on your teammates to be able to follow an order.

...My argument is that if people are unable to follow an order easily because of a setting they have, it shouldn't be allowed. I'm also arguing that there is a better method that's easier on everyone than this that was used for years and I don't understand why we switched to this trend in the first place. Much like one provides support to their arguments in a paper, noting that certain CTs will use this type of order to their advantage to try and get some free kills is simply supporting the argument the better method being superior and what is preferred and generally used.

*Many of these quotes have had portions removed as alot of things have been repeated but no quote has been altered*

I wanted to put my opinion out there as to how I feel about directional orders as a player with less than a day on SG JB but lots of experience with JB in the past.

I put together these quotes and they arent in chronological order but together they support my standing on this issue. All of what I would have said has been said by these quotes

Edited by crazedkangaroo

• Content Count:  150

The order doesn't cause much confusion at all. If a new type of order is given to the T's, they adapt and get used to it. The compass always pointing north will still tell you where the other directions are (Look at @Snootch 's example). Of course, if a player has to change their settings to play that's unreasonable, but no one has too. Like Caution said, if there's a bug in the player's client that sucks, but not our problem. You're overexaggerating it because this problem isn't that big of a deal. Yup strict CT's suck, is that your entire argument for this conversation?

I don't think you read my post at all, please rub your eyes, add in some visene and give it another look because the arrow may always be pointing up but it doesn't' move when you look around, so you don't know what direction you are actually facing. I look right the arrow faces up, I look left and it's the same thing, it's a static minimap that DOESN'T MOVE, that's what static means. I'm really tired of repeating myself to people that just want an excuse to skate by warning shots just to get kills and as I've stated before we have dealt with this in the past and I will continue to punish CT's for unreasonable orders. If you don't like it, that's just too bad and maybe you shouldn't get comfortable with things that you 'think' are okay.

• Like 6
Edited by Snootch

• Content Count:  200

I believe something like this, to make chat orders "POP" would only work for First Order as this would be abused. Directional orders aren't really getting out of hand, CT's talking super fast or mumbling is. In those scenarios, you should force them to repeat it as no one could understand it.

That "dark abyss" isn't what you should be looking at, or need to be looking at. That arrow facing up is North (as a compass would work), and it doesn't change it's location because North will stay North. I have the exact same minimap on some maps, it's just how it is and it's not a problem to look at.

Got to agree with Caution here, it's not a super unreasonable order and if you fuck up and die once, you'll get the hang of it next time. That's just how Jailbreak works, when you're new you die a lot but then you get used to it.

Directional orders suck if you don't know what you're doing, but like i said it's not too hard. Yes, ordering T's to look at an object instead is a better order, but you can also use the same argument with people not knowing where to look at. For example, a new player might not know what direction soccer is, and then die. However, players are supposed to know the map, CT's shouldn't have to always bend over and show them where it is exactly. You can always argue about the validity or easiness of an order, but nonetheless you just have to stick with it sometimes (Also I think you're all overexaggerating the direness of the order).

friendly example on what snootch sees.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1799

friendly example on what snootch sees.

#MakeDirectionalOrdersIllegal

I haven't read too much of this thread and what people have to say, but just based off this video direction orders shouldn't be allowed. As we should never force players to conform to a certain type of settings to properly play on our server.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1583

#MakeDirectionalOrdersIllegal

I haven't read too much of this thread and what people have to say, but just based off this video direction orders shouldn't be allowed. As we should never force players to conform to a certain type of settings to properly play on our server.

Yeah like using a mouse that doesn't hyperscroll! So gay!

Anyways, exclusively because people with locked minimaps are unable to see which direction is North, I'm on board with ruling this unreasonable. The utility of directional orders is still present, however, and I'd like to see them remain/be added back.

It sounds a bit ridiculous, but would anyone be on board with a plug-in that shows a compass at a players feet? This way players are able to look down if they are unsure, and more CTs would be comfortable with using them effectively.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  168

I really don't mind the directional orders but some people would say all t's 1 step out face south and to some people it sounds like cells because of their accent. This is the only problem with directional orders.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  555

I really don't mind the directional orders but some people would say all t's 1 step out face south and to some people it sounds like cells because of their accent. This is the only problem with directional orders.

huh?

Gonna have to agree with @DancingMoonLight here in the sense that directional orders are usually just a way for cts to get a warning shot and ultimately wastes time during the round because people either don't have the black minimap or have the arrow always pointing in front. The only thing I've seen directional orders give is confusion and disrupt the flow of the game mode.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  927

I’m in favor of having the directions not be an order, but still keep the idea of having them face an object/area. Example, “face cells, the ground, big cage, etc”. This obviously won’t confuse anyone and still allow everyone to use whatever settings they want.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread