? servers

? players online

IDE of choice and why

• Content Count:  2167

Man, the resounding vscode usage made me give it another whirl. emacs is great for customization but recently I had found myself fighting with the way I wanted my python environment to work and I was honestly draining way too much time in getting it right. I think emacs can get to where I want but I was spending hours googling shit and asking anyone just gets you hit with a RTFM anyway so fuck it, I decided to reinstall vscode, at first I was crying over the lack of space bindings I had in my doom emacs install so I installed a few things

VSpaceCode - the big one here. I couldn't get over not having my space keybinds, so I've decided to run with this for the next few weeks. I'm really, really loving it. The only annoying thing is the keybinds don't work in the left pane menus (though most of the functionality like search/file manager are handled in the space bindings from then on), but stuff like text boxes in the left pane will be messed up because the vim emulator does not work in those menus, so you can't escape out of input mode to trigger a call by hitting space

Vim - vim keybindings (for vscode's built-in terminal I use zsh with oh-my-zsh + the plugin zsh-vi-mode, for a unified experience)

Edamagit - magit but for vscode. I haven't really touched the source control module builtin to vscode that much but my first 5 minutes of it were not great. Am I crazy or are there basically no keybindings for anything?? The visualizations are great but I just need an easy way to navigate it, but that's maybe just me not doing the research. GitLens & Git History are great even though I'm usually the only one editing my files.

All in all having a great time with it all. Please recommend extensions if you have one you think is great. I eventually will try other stuff like Remote - SSH and Docker but I haven't really needed to do container configs for the last 6 months.

• Content Count:  2167

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year in review for me. I do even more coding now than I did back in February, and I'll admit I get too invested in the "workflow" part and not the "work" part at times.

Today as of writing I'm using neovim (mainly lazyvim with some modifications) and tmux to really build out an IDE. I've mostly given up on emacs just because I was tired of trying to deal with lisp to do what I want, though I do miss magit especially these days, but I'm still usually using version control by myself for my side hobbies and main work, so having a really robust git client isn't necessary and I do 99% of what I want in CLI, with a tiny bit of lazygit (mainly to quickly run over old commit changes) and an even tinier bit of using the web interface for github and azure devops.

I ran with VSCode and relevant plugins for some time but just found it too irritating and a total break away from what I expect of an environment.

spacer.png

Theme: carbonfox (nightfox color scheme), font is iosevka mono term nerdfont

Terminal is alacritty on macOS
Pictured above a random terraform cloud project I was deploying the other day.

I love tmux because it lets me split panes, make tabs, and keep persistency. I will admit the drawbacks with it can be annoying (lack of ligatures, images in TUI's, etc) as well as some odd inconsistencies with how modifier keys are passed that I worked around can be frustrating. Mainly when I'm working with networking gear (especially older) that can be a point of frustration to use tmux. I will admit I'm thinking more and more of moving out from tmux 24/7 and only using it when I really need the persistency.

Neovim with Lazyvim is great. It's quite heavy and that's been part of my annoyance with it lately, as I'm using well over 70 plugins now. It's still very fast, but with the consistent updates to the plugins there can be issues. Vim motions are really what I strive for these days in an editor so if it doesn't natively support something similar, I don't look at it.

Lately I've been looking at rust native apps like helix as a replacement for neovim. I will admit I'm interested in it, and will try to play more. Helix is quite new and I'm slightly interested in learning rust more so might try to help contribute. Would love to see a plugin ecosystem on helix to fix some minor problems I have.

I hope in next year I have an even better workflow that fits what I'm trying to achieve in my career and side projects. I have loved trying out and customizing new things, but will admit life gets in the way of ricing everything all the time, so sometimes stuff like helix is very enticing to have a "sane" app that just works out of the box without hours of tinkering.

• Content Count:  1385

Jet Brains products are good, I've used them frequently throughout my career. I still miss the debugger, even really bad IDE's are preferable to plain GBD. 

Only stopped using them when the company I worked for cheaped out on the desktops, causing laggy input so I switched to NVim & Terminator (Terminal Emulator). Biggest selling point for me was the ability to split windows, and switch between them (& tabs) quickly.

Edited by Vy

Reply to Thread