? servers

? players online

Pandemic General

• Content Count:  4798

As this crisis continues, I was wondering how everyone in SG is doing. Anyone here infected? Still have your job? How's homeschooling? Any interesting pics?

I myself had my hours cut but still go to work. I mostly just spend the extra time on practicing drawing ( I am very bad at it xd )

• Like 3
Edited by SilentGuns

• Content Count:  3740

Both the wife and I are essential workers and therefore, nothing has changed for us. The only changes are that I now make hazard pay ($3 an hour increase to my current hourly) and that our commute to work is a breeze with A LOT less people on the roads.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1103

Currently, I’m doing really fine. My overall life hasn’t changed much because of COVID-19, since I’ve been “quarantined” for the last like 5-6 months. But it does affect when I go to St Jude, every time I go to St Jude I have to wear a mask, gotta get cleared as soon as we get in to the hospital (a few questions, like where we have been, if we show certain symptoms, etc... doesn’t last very long), sit like 6 feet from each other, can’t stand near desks or in lines (marked with duck tape)... around 4-5 nurses tested positive and patient was (but thank goodness they were home with family for about 2 weeks before they found out she was infected so St Jude didn’t have to go into complete lock down mode).

St Jude is handling very well. Thought I would say something since my life is completely different from everyone else’s and thought I’d give an insight to what’s going on here at St Jude

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2187

I didn't know being a sandwich maker was deemed essential so i have to go to work. My primary job at Ross had to shut down because of all this so that sucks. Trying to apply for unemployment but it's a little confusing right now.

I'm not really worried about cut hours and things like that. I'm more worried about friends and family, since I see that people here in NC are careless about how their actions impact others around them. That and not being able to see them as often as I want to. But that's a plus when it comes to being lonely almost your entire life: you get used to it :p

Mostly using my time to play games and get better at them while taking time out of my day to exercise indoors. Might feel cute and clean up my room, idk

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1633

My next door neighbors actually got corona for a while but the family has recovered.

School is fine, I've missed some assignments just by forgetting what day it is though.

I've started to pick up some new habits. Started biking again and might try my hand at cooking soon.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2694

I stopped working due to school right before this all happened but they shut down my workplace. I had money put to the side and I just got my Trump Bucks so i'm doing fine. I'm taking a condensed semester so my semester started on March 23rd. It's currently April 15th and I have no idea what my sociology professor looks like and I have only met with my history class 3 times. Online education is cool but as the same time it sucks. All of my professors are insanely incompetent at teaching online classes. It took a while for my history professor to figure out how to host a Zoom meeting and my math professor is using a free version of Zoom so we're limited to 40 minute sessions. That means that every 40 minutes we have to rejoin the Zoom meeting. My sociology professor has been assigning work that have due dates that are before the work is posted. I'm basically getting free credits but it bothers me that i'm not really learning anything.

Other than that, i've been doing fine mentally. I usually go out for a drive every day or whenever it is bright and sunny outside. I've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing. I can't wait for the semester to be over. I wouldn't mind going back to work just to see my manager and all my coworkers. I've watched a lot of movies in the past month. My sleep schedule is 10:30 am to 6 AM Mondays - Thursdays and then 1 PM - 6 or 7 AM Fridays - Sundays. It's pretty bad but I'm fine with it. I hope everyone else is doing well.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  536

I'm a barista at my local coffee shop and our mayor decided that we were essential. Idk how tf coffee is essential. We stay open for some while but the problem was that we weren't getting enough sales so our manager closed down our shop until this blows over. We filed for the small business loan thing which meant they had to calculate our average hours from the month of January and February then pay us each week off that. Checked my email today and my boss said I would be getting paid for 2 hours a week. I checked my average hours they're between 17 and 32 hours. So I hope to God it was a typo and that she meant 20 hours.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  1385

I've been working from my car for the past few weeks. After I got an inverter (12V -> 230V) I can easily work where-ever as long I have a working GSM connection and don't have to take a shit. Frankly, it's quite refreshing though I do get the occasional stink look whilst I am sitting in my car with 4 antennas popping out of it and several laptops. I haven't the slightest clue why.

Apparently some companies took this quite hard. Lots of small businesses my friends worked at are basically bankrupt. I am unsure how any smaller restaurant chain is going to live through this as there's been a quarantine for close to 2 months now and it's not like they can choose not to pay rent. I know from personal experience that some companies get very dodgy when you start asking them about pay for your services. My friend in the UK (who works as a contractor) didn't get paid (he doesn't get paid monthly either, so this is quite an issue for him).

Surprisingly, I've gotten more 'work for us remotely!' job offers than I ever had in the entire time-span that my LinkedIn account went public. I am fairly glad that I picked a fairly niche specialty and there's not a lot of people that end up going for this, so hopefully I'll remain "wanted" even if I do lose my current job.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread