? servers

? players online

New Tyler, The Creator Album

• Content Count:  1920

Just finished my first listen through the album. I think it's a good album. There's a couple of songs I'm not too hot on, but overall I enjoyed it. Good sounding on both beat and lyrics, good features. Don't know if it's just me but I tend to enjoy the really long songs most on the albums. WILSHIRE and SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE were two songs I'd put towards the top of the album. My top 5 on the album in order are : RISE!, SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE, MANIFESTO, WILSHIRE, and JUGGERNAUT

In comparison to his other music, I'd put this over IGOR, but under Flower Boy in terms of his latest 3 albums. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  971

Bizarre first listen. This album's theme of being lost is very fitting, because unlike almost all of his other projects, this one doesn't really have a coherent direction and at any point you could expect a change of pace or a song that feels "take it or leave it".

Features were generally good and did their job, and NBA Youngboy to my surprise murdered his verse. I think his own music is very boring and cookie cutter, so this was very refreshing. I've literally never heard him sing like this and it fit the track perfectly. Though, I'd put that more on Tyler's incredible production skills because there's no way a traditional Youngboy verse would fit on a Tyler album that sounds post Cherry Bomb. DJ Drama is kinda whatever to me, he didn't do a bad job but he generally felt slightly out of place.

Despite all the solid features, somehow Uzi decides to come out the gate and spit fire on JUGGERNAUT. This is unironically one of the best verses in Uzi's entire discography.

This album is very Lofi and doesn't take many risks, which leaves me slightly disappointed. IGOR had moments of extreme emotion including sadness, disappointment, acceptance, and pure unfiltered rage. This album feels fairly flatline with only a handful of elegant moments that keep it from being outright boring. It's good music, but it's not like the gate-crashing statements his previous albums were.

A perfect example of the bland (but still good) songs that take up about half of the album is WILSHIRE. This song is 8 minutes long, but it never does anything interesting and it never strays from its basic beat. About 6 minutes through on my first listen, I actually thought I replayed the song by accident because it's the same thing for 8 minutes.

It scares me that some people believe this is better than Flower Boy or IGOR. Those albums are supremely better by comparison in terms of cohesion, risk-taking, lyricism, and beats (IMO for now).

As with all Tyler albums, this first listen felt mediocre but I entirely expect it to grow on me exponentially.

6-7/10

FAVORITE SONGS: CORSO, LUMBERJACK, WUSYANAME, MANIFESTO, JUGGERNAUT

LEAST FAVORITE SONGS: WILSHIRE, SAFARI

1. IGOR

2. Scumfuck Flower Boy

3. Wolf

(Tied) 4. CMIYGL

(Tied) 4. Cherry Bomb

6. BASTARD

7. Goblin

As always though, I'm gonna have to wait for Anthony Fantano's review before I form my opinion.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  283

listened to it with a friend late night yesterday i generally enjoyed the album 

i enjoyed juggernaut and safari alot and some other songs hit really nice 

but overall i enjoyed it and will listen to it again for sure most likely multiple times 

im not the craziest of pickiness in most music tbh 

• Like 1

Reply to Thread