? servers

? players online

Code Switching

• Content Count:  1633

On 3/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, ㅤDAFTㅤ said:

Code switching is literally just a fancy way of saying self awareness

If you've ever spoken to your parents differently than your friends, then you might wanna get checked out for split personality disorder as you have participated in code switching!

I know you like have a thing for making "haha funny edgy I think for myself" posts on the forums, but none of this is even close to true lol.

I don't really care much about it at all, but I had to study stuff similar to this in my communication-related classes in college (zzz). People subconsciously change how they talk depending on what audience they're talking to (not groundbreaking news at all).. and I imagine this code-switching thing relates to that for people of certain cultures or people who are bilingual. Also, I'd probably feel bad for the parents of anyone here if they talk to them the way they talk to their friends.

Anyways I honestly don't care about code-switching since I'm a white guy and only speak typical english.

Not really sure what you wanted or expected to get out of this topic ZZL, but obviously it's more relevant to you. /thread

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1984

I guess code switching is a form of survival instinct as you try to conform to the standard of the situation especially for Black people. Its good to think about why we code switch and what we're doing it for like AAVE being considered unprofessional so Black people often use a more white sounding voice. Workspaces have historically been white dominant so the current standards have stemmed from there but why are other races/cultures way of acting, speaking, or dressing considered unprofessional?

Code switching can also create some form of imposter syndrome for people as doubt themselves because they feel as they're faking their identity or ability which definitely affect's mental health. 

• Like 2

Reply to Thread