? servers

? players online

Code Switching

• Content Count:  3294

Code Switching is the switch in one's linguistic speech or mannerisms depending on their social situation (see the last quote for a better definition).

In my readings of How To Date A Brown Girl (black girl, white girl, or halfie) by Junot Díaz and Caribbean Collusion: Junot Díaz, Edwidge Danticat and the "New Yorker" Fiction Podcast by Anne Margaret Castro for my Literature class, I stumbled across this Harvard Business Review article called The Costs of Code-Switching.

Here is a fine example given by the article as it discusses Black people code-switching:

For example, research conducted in schools suggests that black students selectively code-switch between standard English in the classroom and African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) with their peers, which elevates their social standing with each intended audience. We also see examples of guidelines encouraging black people to code-switch to survive police interactions, such as “acting polite and respectful when stopped” and “avoiding running even if you are afraid.”

With all the context aside, I would just like to know if anyone here notices themselves code switch, or if they had any thoughts on the concept.

The first example that comes to my mind about code switching in my own life is the way I conduct myself in front of my extended family, where we all speak Farsi, and my friends at school, where I'm explicitly speaking English. Even unrelated to race, I often find myself code switching among different friend groups, either online or in real life, to, as the article puts it so well, "optimize the comfort of others". 

Broadly, code-switching involves adjusting one’s style of speech, appearance, behavior, and expression in ways that will optimize the comfort of others in exchange for fair treatment, quality service, and employment opportunities.

• Content Count:  908

47 minutes ago, Kieran said:

I think @Infinityward knows about this whole switching towards different audiences. Curious to see what he thinks about this concept.

Nope, I use the same language and accent no matter who I'm speaking to. I've always had a dislike for the southern accent and southern slang so I try my best to keep away from them.

• Content Count:  3294

On 3/2/2022 at 5:27 PM, ㅤDAFTㅤ said:

Forums users discover people speak differently based on who they're talking to

dumb-stupid.gif

What I'm discussing can be as simple as that, but when you're not shitposting you may be able to notice the nuance of the topic. Intercultural, multi-language, code switching and its effects on bilingual first generation immigrants and minorities. 

• Content Count:  1105

1 hour ago, TheZZL said:

What I'm discussing can be as simple as that, but when you're not shitposting you may be able to notice the nuance of the topi. Intercultural, multi-language, code switching and its effects on bilingual first generation immigrants and minorities. 

dude shut up, you're so touchy 

• Like 5

• Content Count:  971

18 hours ago, TheZZL said:

What I'm discussing can be as simple as that, but when you're not shitposting you may be able to notice the nuance of the topic. Intercultural, multi-language, code switching and its effects on bilingual first generation immigrants and minorities. 

Code switching is literally just a fancy way of saying self awareness

If you've ever spoken to your parents differently than your friends, then you might wanna get checked out for split personality disorder as you have participated in code switching!

fo97fvxqaoe71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 8

• Content Count:  275

On 3/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, TheZZL said:

What I'm discussing can be as simple as that, but when you're not shitposting you may be able to notice the nuance of the topic

How else is he supposed to farm posts

Now back to the topic at hand... I noticed this when comparing my rhetoric with my family compared to literally everyone else. I never use any regional slang terms when talking to someone I know isn't from my area. While convos with family and irl friends I'm throwing them out there left, right, and center. Never really noticed it either until I queued a comp game with my cousin and he pointed out I wasn't using words I used in every day conversation with him 

Reply to Thread