? servers

? players online

Imaginary Pain...

• Content Count:  1051

I was exhausted today, went to the nurses to lay down and chill, whatever. But as I dozed off, I had like a mini dream about fighting like some mini bear or whatever, and my smartass in my dream thought, what if I just pick the bear and drop it. So I did and it caught my leg and bit it. At that moment I winced, woke up and felt my leg hurting for like a second before just going away. And this isn't the first time this has happened either.

The point im trying to make is, in dreams where physical harm is dealt to you, do you feel it?

• Content Count:  1583

We actually briefly talked about this in one of my psych classes in college. I think the theory goes that pain is already all in your head anyways, just delivered by the nervous system, so dream can easily emulate it. Actual pain felt outside of dreams can also be incorporated into dreams which is kind of cool.

Personally, I've never experienced pain in dreams but a large portion of my dreams revolve around me forgetting to do assignments or breaking things like dropping my phone or crashing my car which can lead to me waking up with a sudden flood of panic/anxiety.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  267

ive had some wacky dreams where i feel pain after. The most recent one I can remember I was in a warehouse with a murderer, i dont remember much but i recognized i was in a dream and walked up to him. He stabbed me in the chest and i immediately woke up, the pain lingered in my chest for a few seconds but that was it.

i dont have many more specific examples but i often wake up from dreams with feelings of pain or other things lingering. idk if thats normal or if im slowly losing my sanity as i get killed in my dreams every night.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

3 hours ago, Gentoo said:

We actually briefly talked about this in one of my psych classes in college. I think the theory goes that pain is already all in your head anyways, just delivered by the nervous system, so dream can easily emulate it. Actual pain felt outside of dreams can also be incorporated into dreams which is kind of cool.

Didn't know they let you go to college.

He is correct.

• Content Count:  905

Yesss, your brain is connected to your nervous system so like @Gentoosaid, if your brain creates a fictional sense of pain from your dream you could feel it when you awake because of the altered state of reality when initially waking up very quickly. The reason it goes away is because when your brain realizes you’re awake, you’re snapped back to reality and your nerves don’t have that same sense of pain since your dream is over. Your brain won’t regulate it as “real pain”.

I do remember one when I was maybe 6 or something when I “woke up” in my dream and swung my tiny legs out my bed and a croc snagged em from underneath my bed, I hit the floor face first and got dragged under my bed. It was like I was getting dragged down a tunnel cause I could see my surroundings getting further away. I turned to face the killer croc and when it went for my face I woke up and got a calf cramp. 
shit sucked lol

• Like 1

Reply to Thread