? servers

? players online

Old SRs on maps

• Content Count:  4

Since the tickrate of the server was changed from 102.4 to 85.3, will old records (that presumably now are impossible or insanely hard to beat) be purged? Since lower tick rates make gaining speed more difficult, some SRs are theoretically a lot more challenging or impossible to beat without being able to gain higher speed.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  216

The problem with that is no one is going to manually go through each record and remove it. So we go back to the age old question, will there be a server wipe of all records? The SM of this server should comment their opinion about this because it was highly debatable when occurring on the bhop server. While it was more based around cheated, tb’s, and null use times, the same concept still applies here. Maybe a fresh server wipe will generate more people? You never know.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  5674

I'm no expert on surf servers but just thinking logically I'd imagine a server wipe of records might do well for player population. Any example I can think of where my progress has gotten wiped in a game or server, it's enticed me to play more, earn it all back and become the top player. Obviously I'm not referring entirely to Surf but I did start my community server journey on a Surf server 7+ years ago and IIRC wipes were a somewhat regular(?) thing. I wouldn't do it ridiculously frequently but have we never wiped our server ever? Outside of using this logic, the reasoning for this request from the OP makes a lot of sense and I'd say it's only fair, right?

• Like 2

• Content Count:  922

I had this thought for a while to be honest, mainly since tick rates have changed as you stated, but also the replay bot/the replay system overall seems a bit out dated. I haven't gotten to discussing it with @Dreamz yet.

And also when Dreamz decides on a set tick rate for the server.

:peperee:

Will hopefully update soon.

• Like 1
Edited by Asher

• Content Count:  633

I personally like the idea of wiping map records. Similar to Dom, past game save wipes often gave me more motivation to play. I think many of the current records are set by people who don't even play our server anymore (excluding Poobah of course). I think we should definitely give it a shot. It would open a lot of new doors for the server IMO.

Alternatively, should we poll the community on how they feel about the tickrate change? My reason for altering it was because I became a regular on Horizon's Surf servers and I got to meet a lot of the best surfers in the world, people who have won thousands of dollars participating in Surf competitions, and they swear by 88 tick. If the community doesn't like the new tickrate, I have no problem at all changing it back. I'm interested in doing what's best for the community and/or what keeps people coming back to SG.

• Like 1
Edited by Dreamz

Reply to Thread

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.