? servers

? players online

What's your family holiday food...?

• Content Count:  562

Since the holidays are rapidly approaching and I really want forums reddit karma I wondered what you or your family regularly eats at christmas time or Chanukah (Hanukah for all you non jewish people) or whatever holiday you celebrate during the winter time. I want to know what you eat at holidays with family or if your name is @BloodBlades and you don't have a family what you eat for the holidays.

• Content Count:  3294

I’m Persian (Iranian) and our winter holiday is called “Shabeh Yalda” which translates to night of Yalda. It’s every year on the longest night of the year which is the winter solstice, so it was the night of December 20th. It’s kinda like our Christmas, even though when I was younger we celebrated Christmas because all my friends would talk about Christmas & Santa. Yalda has a rich history which my dad could probably tell you about very well, but it dates back thousands of years. 

With basically every holiday we throw in a classic Persian dish called “Tadig”, which is the crispy rice at the bottom of the pot. Its fun to make, but you have make sure you don’t burn the rice on the bottom. Then once it’s ready you have to place a tray on top, flip the pot and tray together, take off the pot, and watch your tadig come out perfectly if you cooked it right. 

Tadig can be made with bread, potatos, or just rice at the bottom of the pot and with a varying amount of yogurt and saffron with it; Meaning depending on the cook and region they come from your Tadig can look very different. 

We/I eat Tadig with basically anything, so for thanksgiving & Christmas time it’s always there. 

1557848709753.jpeg

• Like 1
Edited by TheZZL

• Content Count:  116

On 12/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, TheZZL said:

I’m Persian (Iranian) and our winter holiday is called “Shabeh Yalda” which translates to night of Yalda. It’s every year on the longest night of the year which is the winter solstice, so it was the night of December 20th. It’s kinda like our Christmas, even though when I was younger we celebrated Christmas because all my friends would talk about Christmas & Santa. Yalda has a rich history which my dad could probably tell you about very well, but it dates back thousands of years. 

With basically every holiday we throw in a classic Persian dish called “Tadig”, which is the crispy rice at the bottom of the pot. Its fun to make, but you have make sure you don’t burn the rice on the bottom. Then once it’s ready you have to place a tray on top, flip the pot and tray together, take off the pot, and watch your tadig come out perfectly if you cooked it right. 

Tadig can be made with bread, potatos, or just rice at the bottom of the pot and with a varying amount of yogurt and saffron with it; Meaning depending on the cook and region they come from your Tadig can look very different. 

We/I eat Tadig with basically anything, so for thanksgiving & Christmas time it’s always there. 

Will provide picture when I’m home 

everyone else is like yes I like this food and ZZL comes over and writes an essay +rep

I like stuffing on thanksgiving

• Like 1

Reply to Thread