? servers

? players online

The upper echelon experience

• Content Count:  5377

3 minutes ago, phoenix_ said:

Back when I was CA/LA, JB and BHOP, the servers I pretty much exclusively played ended up being more fun for me in the discussion side compared to actually playing. When looking back on my time as staff here, I have more fond memories of ET meetings and "Marketing Team" meetings trying to revive the team with the boys and hours long discussions in the JB chat with @fantasticover what was to come for the future of Jailbreak in a time where we were trying to revolutionize our version of the gamemode, as compared to actually just playing the game. BHOP discussions with @Trazzover what maps to add, features to add, and what maps to do for events was a whole lot more fun to do compared to actually playing the game especially in an era where I think SG had its most toxic BHOP regs to date. 

This is not to say I didn't play the servers, but compared to being a reg when I was playing every day, my playtime definitely decreased as I rose higher in the ranks. I feel this is probably because the higher you go, it feels more and more like a job compared to pure fun. You obviously still have fun doing it, it's just not the same when you're doing it for pure fun and not much more than hanging out with your amigos. 

Can definitely echo the 'discussion is more fun than playing' sentiment. 

A lot of what still makes this place enjoyable for me is observations on how things can continue to grow and sometimes slipping ideas to facilitate that. I think that SG has came a long way since I first got here and still could go much further under the correct care.

On top of that another one of the most enjoyable factors during my time as an AO/BD/IA was watching people grow and develop over my tenure. I know the person that the majority of you see on the forums comes off as a bitchy old man but ask most people who have had in depth conversations with me over voice and they'll tell you while I can still be a bit of a cunt the majority of people who came to me with advice or questions or whatever ended up getting my honest (oftentimes blunt) thoughts and oftentimes ended up coming back to show appreciation for not sugarcoating because it allowed them to see another side of whatever they were going through or dealing with. 

At the end of the day the most rewarding experiences this place has given me has been other peoples successes, whether that be in real life or within our little community. I really believe in most of you despite the outwards demeanor that a lot of you read too much into on the forums anyways.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  2206

What you need to understand is that most people by the time they get to the "upper echelon" have put countless hours into the servers. Come back to me in 10 years and tell me if playing the servers is still fun for you while the average age of the population goes down you get older. When I was 15 the average player was probably 18-25 and now I'm 25 and the average age is 10-17 and it feels more like babysitting. By the time you get to IA/AT rank you've either been straightened out and got the kid shit out of the way for the most part (I'm talking to @TheZZLhere) or you already were on the older end when you joined and rose fairly quickly through the ranks due to the fact that you have useable skills. Make no mistake, you will not get to what your referring to because people like you meanwhile you have 0 skills. Everyone is where they are because they have put countless hours into servers and discussions or looking for mods and brainstorming for their server.

I've personally gone through almost every single page on AlliedModders and brainstormed any plugin I thought had potential. If @Gatortold me I need to put more time into playing my server I'd have left that moment. Its easy to see why the person running the server should play more and you are not totally wrong but we all have lives and cannot dedicate all our time to playing and managing a server while making sure we don't become bums by 20 years old. Its one or the other. You want an operational server with up to date plugins and new maps or you want to see the managers play is really what it comes down to cause unless someone has loads of free time you will most likely not see both.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  634

Wow well after this thread being dead as hell for the better part of a week, and me contemplating messaging @TheZZL and asking for it to be deleted,

I am overwhelmed with the responses given

Ty @Mace for breaking the ice

Ty to the oldies for your replies (and @kabLeill be quoting you in 10 years with a reply bud)

And a big Thank You to those who give a part of their lives to keeping this ship afloat.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread