? servers

? players online

Mass Retard Reg Genocide

• Content Count:  971

This is not a shitpost. I'm aware this is an outlandish and controversial take.

The servers are in a critical state as of now. It is no secret. The three main servers are at all time lows. ZE is dead, TTT has been on life support for months, and JB is on its way to the same state. This is despite the best efforts of the managers behind them, which leads me to believe this is nothing to do with the content/balance of the servers and everything to do with the regulars. I am not alone in this conclusion, as many of my comments and the comments of other regulars outling this as the main issue seem to attract mass agreeance. At its core, the problem with the servers is annoying, unpleasant, server killing, whatever you wanna call them, bad regulars.

For the sake of argument, I define these regulars by those who choose to actively be asinine in behavior and act in a way that makes the server unfun and generally pushes boundaries in areas such as micspam/RDM/delaying/freekilling/enforcing, but rarely ever far enough to warrant a ban in black and white rules and especially in a way that the rest of the server finds unpleasant, not funny, and vibe dragging. Fuck man I know it's a loose definition but this is such a gray area because there are some regs who do this in a way that's not to the detriment of the server and more to the fun side, but again this is not black and white.

To be honest, I have no idea how to approach solving this problem in a way that doesn't incite a riot. But, I propose some kind of foolproof fraud preventative voting system through the forums that keeps voters anonymous to everyone except the higherups to vote to permanently (or temporarily) ban some of the main offenders of being generally unlikable and dragging down the server environment. I know this is a ridiculous idea at first glance, but I'm genuinely sick and tired of what was once one of my favorite past time always being dead and/or half filled with people literally no one who has a foot hold in this community likes to be around or respects.

I'm aware people are never going to like everybody, people are always gonna hate some people and like others. There is no objective way of saying who's a bad reg and who's not, but much like any other subjective medium, such as food, there's definitely a way to distinguish a grilled cheese from a pile of dogshit. I'm also aware that it's entirely possible I'm one of the few who would be voted off because I generally get bipolar opinions across the community, but at this point I don't care and I at least wanna try to fix this.

I'm not gonna name any of the main offenders in public; I think most people know who I'm referring to in this post. However much like before, I'm open to any higher up who wants specifics and they can feel free to DM me to get that information.

Once again, I'm aware this is a beyond extreme solution. I know a lot of people are gonna read this and genuinely think I'm on benadryl and am completely retarded, but I don't care. I feel like extreme measures are what need to be taken to bring the servers back to their former glory.

• Like 26

• Content Count:  1920

I understand your frustration. I definitely feel it too. Even sometimes when I try to get pop on a server I don't last too long because the players on make it pretty difficult to play. I can definitely understand your perspective but there's a couple of key flaws with it.

One, there is no "correct way" to go about this. Until those nuisances technically cross the bound of rulebreaking, we really can't touch them in terms of punishment. If toxicity gets too too much usually staff does step in and they're at least spoken to. Banning off people generally found "nuisances" and "unlikeable" would be irreparable to any sort of idea that we shelter an inclusive and welcoming environment. There will be toxic people in every circle in the globe, and gaming communities tend to attract slightly larger amounts of those type of people.

It's a sorry state to see the servers like this, but we can't fault the user. Everyone in this situation takes fault to at least some extent. Pointing fingers will only create a rift between groups of people, and that's the last thing we want right now. I appreciate your willingness to voice your mind and speak on something as touchy as this in a genuine way, though it may not be the nicest way. 

If you have evidence of anyone crossing this line into rulebreaking or evidence of people constantly toeing the line, please shoot me a DM.  

• Like 1
Edited by Phoenix_

• Content Count:  193

Personally I might be giving bad suggestions here but im gonna speak my mind. No one can teally just ban people cause you dont like them. Plus its the internet so most shitheads do it cause the anonymous aspect of the internet. While I do feel concerned about the servers in general we gotta keep in mind how to outreach.

Mainly the problem is csgo is a old game and frankly its not gaining new people. While also other shooters like valorant which is more noob friendly in game mechanics, you can see the appeal. Also keep in mind that you can't just runs ads for a game servers when it is from a small community.

My main thought process is I strongly believe we need to trim the fat for some servers lile the tf2 servers. I have checked the whole server list the last week and like the max pop is maybe 2 people. And also while I dont play squad so this could sound stupid but the fact is no one also plays those servers except maybe events in the past or free weekends. 

Thats all i got for now except my shitposting i might do. :] also I typed this all on my phone so spelling = no

• Content Count:  6759

Just gonna make a quick reply to clarify something

1 hour ago, Autistic said:

My main thought process is I strongly believe we need to trim the fat for some servers lile the tf2 servers. I have checked the whole server list the last week and like the max pop is maybe 2 people. And also while I dont play squad so this could sound stupid but the fact is no one also plays those servers except maybe events in the past or free weekends. 

Shutting down the servers to trim the fat doesn't necessarily solve the problemNormally, we do not shut down servers unless we do not have interested staff in helping to manage it. If they aren't affecting the resources allocated on the dedi and do not put a dent in the SG funds then as Directors we do not find a major concern with keeping them. TF2 won't be shutdown out of the blue when we have higher ups dedicated to it. It may not be in the most productive state, but there is interest shown in it, and we generally don't shy away from people wanting to do the work. Squad is used for a completely different purpose - which the main focus is to run Squad tournaments. Squad has a lot of popularity in the competitive scene and we offer to run tourneys with the aid of Ghost while having our name out there in the Squad. We've already closed down a few servers in the past such as KZ and Rust, but closing down server after server doesn't make much of a difference to the issue at hand.

2 hours ago, Phoenix_ said:

One, there is no "correct way" to go about this. Until those nuisances technically cross the bound of rulebreaking, we really can't touch them in terms of punishment. If toxicity gets too too much usually staff does step in and they're at least spoken to. Banning off people generally found "nuisances" and "unlikeable" would be irreparable to any sort of idea that we shelter an inclusive and welcoming environment. There will be toxic people in every circle in the globe, and gaming communities tend to attract slightly larger amounts of those type of people.

This

• Content Count:  5377

15 minutes ago, ㅤDAFTㅤ said:

Ok, fair enough if you guys don't think this will work. So what, we just continue to do nothing? To me that's not an option.

Be the change you wanna see. Instead of using your edgelord tendencies to be a cunt to everyone use them to out cunt the cunts on the server. It’ll get worse before it gets better but that’s essentially what I and a few others did as a reg/admin before running jailbreak.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  2206

Honestly, I'm kinda in total agreeance with Daft on it's the people not the managers. At some point, you can say they aren't doing enough, too much, etc.. but this problem is something that has been brewing since before most of the people currently playing the servers. JB has ALWAYS been annoying, as far as I'm personally concerned, since it became a CSGO server. I took a 4-5 year break and when I came back I heard the exact same sentiments that chased alot of older people away, the player base got young, kids got annoying, but the rules stopped people from telling those kids they were annoying because of changing times and political correctness etc etc.. And now you have dead servers because nobody wants to play with the cunty kids and CS isn't as "IN" as it used to be.

I really think the community as a whole should move away from thinking about what can revive a CSGO server and start thinking about the new games we can get into or how to restructure SG in a way that can branch out to multiple games while still having an active "community" feel to it. 

I also don't think its outlandish to say the player base killed itself. I think it's more outlandish to pretend they died of natural causes to protect one's own ego.

• Like 9
Edited by kabLe

• Content Count:  169

2 hours ago, kabLe said:

I really think the community as a whole should move away from thinking about what can revive a CSGO server and start thinking about the new games we can get into or how to restructure SG in a way that can branch out to multiple games while still having an active "community" feel to it. 

I agree with you on this so much. From what I’ve seen from a player point of view, CSGO has been the main bait that is constantly pulling in new active regulars. If SG could somehow branch out to other large games and build more on those communities, there would be a ton of growth and that might even transfer over to the CSGO side of SG. One big downside is that it would take a shit ton of effort to branch out. Just some food for thought 

• Content Count:  1105

34 minutes ago, Steel_ said:

I agree with you on this so much. From what I’ve seen from a player point of view, CSGO has been the main bait that is constantly pulling in new active regulars. If SG could somehow branch out to other large games and build more on those communities, there would be a ton of growth and that might even transfer over to the CSGO side of SG. One big downside is that it would take a shit ton of effort to branch out. Just some food for thought 

I don't want to speak on behalf of the other higher-ups and their plans at this moment, but in the past when I held a higher rank as a Server Manager and a part of the Marketing Team we were constantly trying to figure out ways to branch out to other games/players/communities. Our goal in the past was to become an epicenter for STEAM GAMERS due to the name and having people join the community asking to be unbanned, marketplace issues, etc so there's obviously a connection so we just need to find a way to profit from others confusion lol. 

I think our main issue at the moment on trying to branch out is we're still in the early phase of trying to make a name for ourselves in Steam, Ubisoft, Epic games, overall gaming, etc. I believe once we find the spark that really pulls people into our community we'll have such a constant and steady flow of players, not just on CS:GO but our Discord will flourish with active members. For that to happen we need to really push towards getting our discord out there like Disboard, Discord.gg, partnership(s), etc because Discord I believe is slowly going to replace the forums we use now and the forums will only be used by members who joined while the forums were popping. 

But what Daft and kabLe were saying I agree that there's nothing the server managers haven't tried to return the servers to what they were prior but in the past, we had large groups of players who actively played TTT/JB/ZE as the main ones and they were a large portion of our population. But due to the release of new games that are more enticing and exciting due to being released recently they've swayed from CS:GO to Tarkov for example. There's still population and players who enjoy the servers because once you get 2-3 people on the servers the population on those servers skyrockets, I just think people are tired of getting on and waiting for others to get on to only realize that they're playing another game and won't be getting on unless asked.

• Like 2
Edited by Steven.

Reply to Thread