? servers

? players online

Adjusting to Changing Times

• Content Count:  1559

1 hour ago, Starlegendgod said:

ban the word "retard" since ****** is now banned i believe this word should be reasonably banned as well. 

People can use dumbass(no problems much more tame) but retard almost always led to a correlation to toxicity or fights.  In short,  it's basically "fight words". I see it as a word used call someone slow or mental retardation since it was(still is) used against special needs individuals, while i see calling someone a 'dumbass' someone who a dumb/stupid action. The word "retard" is alr banned on various website/communites, how about SG as well.

Banning the word will hopefully lessen the toxicity on forums and servers

Alright we're getting too ahead of our selves now. "Faggot" is historically a slur used against gay people, retard on the other hand is not, if I remember correctly it was an actual medical term.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  2730

5 minutes ago, 20 scrolls said:

Alright we're getting too ahead of our selves now. "Faggot" is historically a slur used against gay people, retard on the other hand is not, if I remember correctly it was an actual medical term.

Pretty sure the term retard is not a medical term. It’s used to describe someone with mental disabilities. Though now a days it’s seen as an offensive word towards individuals with a mental disability, most commonly those with Down syndrome.

I know I personally don’t use either word, as a bunch of my family members are gay and/or worked as DSP’s helping those with mental disabilities.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1559

2 minutes ago, Clamor said:

Pretty sure the term retard is not a medical term. It’s used to describe someone with mental disabilities. Though now a days it’s seen as an offensive word towards individuals with a mental disability, most commonly those with Down syndrome.

I know I personally don’t use either word, as a bunch of my family members are gay and/or worked as DSP’s helping those with mental disabilities.

Sorry, mental retardation was what I was looking for

• Like 2

• Content Count:  235

1 hour ago, Starlegendgod said:

ban the word "retard" since ****** is now banned i believe this word should be reasonably banned as well. 

People can use dumbass(no problems much more tame) but retard almost always led to a correlation to toxicity or fights.  In short,  it's basically "fight words". I see it as a word used call someone slow or mental retardation since it was(still is) used against special needs individuals, while i see calling someone a 'dumbass' someone who a dumb/stupid action. The word "retard" is alr banned on various website/communites, how about SG as well.

Banning the word will hopefully lessen the toxicity on forums and servers

What are you "Retarded"?

• Content Count:  4441

fc2bccad12eb9d67be59caeee98e6680.png

Had to post this to meme lol. This and few other similar changes as mentioned could make sg more friendly and maybe marketable if that is the goal. Banning words vs. Harassment itself and dealing with people skirting or just being fucking psychopaths reporting one another for every little thing is probably the most annoying thing about or behind these rules. Personally I have never really cared about the word, I know that a lot of people definitely wouldn't appreciate being called it and would probably expect there to be a rule against it. Can't just pretend like those people do not exist. People don't like change, I was against Discord when it was proposed and now it's a huge platform that would be dumb not to have. This will likely be fine, albeit being potentially annoying as the word list gets longer and people create more paper to push.

• Like 12

• Content Count:  1421

10 minutes ago, 20 scrolls said:

Is the origin/intended use of the word really what's important here? Or is it instead how the majority of society views the words usage? It seems to be the latter in most cases because people simply do not care about the history of the word, they care about how it makes them or others feel when used in certain ways. A words meaning adjusts with the times and groups of people consider that above whatever it meant in 1950. 

1 minute ago, Clamor said:

Mental retardation was a medical term coined in the 1950s however its use was actually replaced in Rosas Law. "Rosa's Law is a United States law which replaced several instances of "mental retardation" in law with "intellectual disability". It passed the Senate unanimously on August 5, 2010, then the House of Representatives on September 22, and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on October 5."

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1920

15 minutes ago, Starlegendgod said:

Give a proper reason 

As social change has progressed rapidly within the last few years, the f-slur has fallen into the list of big-red flag words that could really tear down someone's career or business if it was discovered that they used it, especially more recently. The f-slur, alongside with the already banned words have socially become more or less fully unacceptable to use causally, especially in terms of trying to find partnerships. Us banning this word not only allows us to be more welcoming to those who may be offended by this word, but also opens up the door for more marketing opportunities down the line such as Discord (pls) and potentially other communities. 

At least in my opinion, retard has not really fallen into the realm of big no-no words (yet) as many people still say it casually and without much repercussion. A lot of people I know and a lot of instances I have seen people still using "retard" and "retarded" in common conversation without much issue or problem from other people. If the day comes where this word becomes a big no-no then it is what it is, but I don't see that day coming soon.

I know banning word and not word can create confusion, but hopefully my take can provide more insight. 

• Like 4

Reply to Thread