? servers

? players online

Community Meeting - 10/14 @ 6pm EST

• Content Count:  2001

Regarding events, I hear in the meeting that we create events for games that are popular.... Why are we not trying to fill already established servers? Having people go away from established servers is counter intuitive? How do you grow a community without playing on servers that are there everyday? Having a fun GTA event is cool but it doesn't attract new players. I understand keeping things fresh for people who already stay but this community's problem is staying stagnant and not growing. You aren't going to grow if you make an event away from the main community that the general public of players can't get to, no? 

Not trying to hate on that team, but we talked about it during the meeting and I just feel like the focus is all wrong with events in general in my opinion. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  216

Community Meeting Notes 10/14:

·         Discord Growth

·         Current Projects

-SCP

-Gmod TTT

-1v1

-Minecraft

·         State of Staff Team

-Transparency Increase

-Solid Directorate

-Looking for AO on JB

-Admin Team Solid

-Looking for Events Team Members

·         Donations System

-Chopping 2nd Donation Tier; One Tier with all Perks (3$)

·         Community Interaction

-Have Higherups Post on Forums More

-More Seeding

-More Communication Between Higherups and Community

• Like 1

• Content Count:  793

On 10/14/2022 at 7:19 PM, Jake said:

Regarding events, I hear in the meeting that we create events for games that are popular.... Why are we not trying to fill already established servers? Having people go away from established servers is counter intuitive? How do you grow a community without playing on servers that are there everyday? Having a fun GTA event is cool but it doesn't attract new players. I understand keeping things fresh for people who already stay but this community's problem is staying stagnant and not growing. You aren't going to grow if you make an event away from the main community that the general public of players can't get to, no? 

Not trying to hate on that team, but we talked about it during the meeting and I just feel like the focus is all wrong with events in general in my opinion. 

What is said is true but you have only the part of the picture. The events team specifically has turned its focus more towards popular events and less towards server events. The part that maybe wasn’t made clear was that since CA+ can make events we ask them to be the ones who focus on server related events. Since 99% of the time a CA+ needs to be present anyway for a server event as well as given the current state of the events team in general, we find this will work out better for the team in terms of sustainability and the long term.

This is just a quick summary with a lot of detail and such not included but hopefully that gives you a quick idea of what the state of the events team is. SG has not given up or taken away server focused events, we have just delegated events differently in order to improve sustainability. 

• Content Count:  927

Looking at Sully's "notes" I wanted to point out some things and ask a few questions regarding the server projects. I did not attend this meeting so I don't know what was specifically said about the following topics. Plus, nobody posted detailed notes on the current projects.

SCP:

There has been almost no effort in seeding for this game. The last time there was an event was 7/16, exactly 3 months since writing this post... why are we saying this is a current project? Do we have events lined up? Any changelogs? It's been a common theme to create servers for these games just for us to stop pushing it shortly after. Before I stepped down I remember something being talked about (won't spoil the specifics) but there needs to be some excitement built up. Post a thread with a hint towards something and title the date? Post a thread with some details/photos of what's to come? 

Gmod TTT:

Cool, another game we can expand into. Can we get some details as to when it will be ready? Do we have events lined up for this? I've read what Acer said above and I hope that isn't the case when it comes to these server events.

1v1:

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the reason for trying this server again. We have a couple of people wanting this server to come back but I have seen zero push from them or anyone to get it up besides one thread. I mean, we literally don't have the numbers to consistently seed this server. The big named communities who have 1v1 servers are able to keep them alive because they have such a large community that they are able to maintain 15-30+ people pretty consistently. I would say that I don't want to sound like a "negative nancy" but for this server I am. It will just be a waste of energy and resources, however little either are.

Minecraft:

See, I think this server has potential. Here are the problems that need to be fixed to keep this server healthy and afloat: Keep EVERYONE in check, find ways to advertise the server OUTSIDE of SG, and make purchasable cosmetics/items available. I'll break each one down separately.

(1) I really don't care who they are, what rank they are, or how long they've been here... if someone is caught cheating ban them immediately. Are two people causing headaches for other players? Slap the back of their heads and give them a stern warning. The pixelmon server was fun but when you have people griefing, using wall hacks, and/or just being toxic in one way or another it really kills the vibe. If we are able to get new players from this server they need to know that we don't have favoritism.

(2) We all know Minecraft is one of the biggest games ever. There are always players looking for new servers and a community to play in. So, we need to find ways to advertise the server. Obviously it starts with us as the players by sharing it with our friends and other discords. I'll leave the advertisement to yall because you will know what websites/methods are best/allowed.

(3) Longevity. If people spend money on items in the game there is a good chance they will continue playing on the server longer then other players. I unfortunately don't know what type the server is going to be (Skyblock, factions, modded, etc) but there are tons of things you could add. For some reason I think you have to talk to Mojang/Microsoft (whoever bought Mojang) and agree to something in order to sell stuff but that shouldn't be hard if that's the case. If not, then yea.... Also, is there anything you can share about the server? Like what the type is going to be, when it will be ready, etc? If you already did then my bad lmao. @Acer

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5674

Real quick, thank you all for attending. Sitting at ~30 members in the audience for majority of the important stuff was fantastic to see. We greatly appreciate the feedback and topics that were brought up throughout, and we 100% recognize the people that were showing genuine interest in helping to make the gears turn, critiquing our weak points, and suggesting solutions for our current shortcomings. Shoutout to the people who stayed for my girl talk afterwards too. We hope to see you all at the next one.

So obviously the notes for the meeting are incredibly vague and that's perfectly fine, but clearly there's some things that need addressing. Firstly, immediately after I post this I'm going to be locking this thread. This is in no way an attempt at getting the 'final word' - however, this is a community meeting thread and a bunch of random topics being discussed in it is not efficient in the slightest. I did make a thread about 'Current Focus / Direction', and I think there's value in creating threads addressing 'State of Staff Team' and 'Update on Current Projects', however I don't want to bombard or overwhelm the community with asking for feedback. 

I'm going to extremely briefly address the current projects because they were called into question, and also address some other topics. Firstly, SCP hasn't actually been online (meaning the server essentially hasn't been released) for some time now. There were apparently some serious problems with various components and it needed a complete rework. @Acer and @Nishok have been working on a rerelease and they've said it can be expected somewhat soon. If there are suggestions you all have for the server, or for its management once it's released, you're free to make posts in the section for it.

GMod TTT is something I hinted at that I don't think has been officially stated elsewhere, and I did so because it promotes transparency between us and you guys and as I've been saying for some time now, helps you to not think we're doing absolutely nothing behind the scenes. Yes, it is in the works. I don't know what an ETA looks like, nor do I know if @Gator (who has been the one developing it) is interested in giving one. If there's too many factors at play to give an accurate ETA, it's probably better not to anyway. Once the server releases, as with SCP, suggestions and critique are welcome as always. 

1v1 is purely intended as an MGT (Monthly Get Together for you new guys) as it currently stands. At no point was a full-blown server promised and I'm not sure that it will come to a point of turning into one. The server doesn't necessarily have to leave at the one month mark, but the idea is that there won't be changelogs or dedicated managers or anything of that sort, at least that's not currently intended. It will simply be a popup server for the community to use, engage with each other, have some fun events on, so on and so forth because there was enough interested expressed. Again, I won't give an ETA unless @kabLe wants to, as he's developing it.

I'm not going to say pretty much anything about Minecraft. From what I hear the gamemode is going to be very unique and fun, and @Acer is coding it entirely himself and seems to have a ton of cool ideas for it. Once again, any ETA will only be decided by him when he's ready to do so. I agree that there is massive potential in the game and that if gone about correctly, it can offer huge success. Know that we have more plans behind the scenes in regards to advertising, and unique ones at that. Acer is spearheading that in addition to the server itself, and once again, suggestions and feedback are welcome once the server is released.

We're currently trying to get everything in order behind the scenes. There's a pretty good system going currently with different staff at the helm of different projects, but there is a bit more that can be done in regards to organization on our side to be able to give you more accurate updates as they come. Another project to point out is obviously the new forums, to the best of my knowledge the new theme was finalized. This obviously pushes us closer to a release, but I once again don't want to make any false promises. We all learned our lesson about making promises about new forums. Joking.. but that would still be up to @Revenga, @Nishok, and @Gator. On it's way though for sure.

Additionally, as for next steps with these meetings, I may randomly schedule the next one. Perhaps on a weekend more towards the nighttime to appease the majority of people, however my schedule once it gets late on a weekend usually doesn't offer me enough time to run the meeting entirely. If it works out for anyone else on the Board to attend and run / takeover the meeting at some point, then we can do that. As I said, frequency is not a bad thing in my eyes, so possibly next weekend. If others agree, we may send out a poll as opposed to random scheduling. This all remains to be seen though, as we may even tailor the next one around the schedule of the Board.

Clearly there's not much to go off of here in terms of creating some structured timeline in your heads, and we're going to work to create one of our own and get you all somewhat accurate dates to expect upcoming things to be released. Stay tuned for all of that.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread