? servers

? players online

Forum Utilization / Reformatting

• Content Count:  5377

21 minutes ago, eXtr3m3 said:

I was going to refrain from posting in here, but I had to bite considering there's a lot of animosity without enough accountability.

I can't help but notice a lot of "B listers" here airing out their grievances with the community who they themselves were also guilty of the same offenses that the current management is under fire for. A lot of you too either were not active or did little to nothing in your time as staff. The general mismanagement that has been spoken of in this thread is something some of you were the Game 6 LeBron at doing effortlessly. The slack then had to be picked up by the staff around you. It was almost like pulling teeth to get responses from you for anything during your tenure - and then you either stepped down/got demoted due to inactivity and fell off the face of the Earth only to come back to this very point in time and share with us your "wisdom" on how to improve SG via. I'm not referring to everyone, those who I actually sat down and put hours into this place with know who they are.  However, if you have enough doubt to ask yourself if I'm referring to you, well all I can say is "if the shoe fits then you must wear it." 

That being said, I do think there absolutely could be some more activity from those at the top. It has always been hard for the community to get the ball rolling during the President/Vice President's inactivity. It should be recognized that people have lives outside of SG and are probably very engulfed in that. The same way that you all who left were and still very likely are - myself included.

I see a lot more criticism than constructive criticism here - probably because some of you have some sort of history with the people in charge that did not end favorably for you. Instead of sitting there ragging on those damn dirty inactive BDs without providing any ideas on how to improve the community - be the change you want to see here. Help the current staff populate servers, engage on the forums in a meaningful way, sit in Discord while you have your drink and hop on whatever game you're playing. Or, if you don't want to/don't have the time to - kindly go back to browsing the forums lightly and move on like the rest of us. Activity on all fronts from everyone and unity are the two most vital components to rebuilding this community. I don't think criticism has to be void of calling people out - but it's become more of a pissing contest than it is actual insightful and beneficial to SG's growth.

I'm certainly not shy of inactivity myself - I spent months completely away from the community while I was in the BD role this last time around. But I decided since I was only here in an advisory role anyway I might as well not hold up a slot and offer what insight I could from the sidelines.

There is no shame in being straightforward on SG's issues, but pointing your fingers at the "problem" and offering no real solution does nothing but make you appear like a disgruntled former employee. I welcome anyone who is passionate enough to post on this thread about the issues in leadership to get back into staff and help make a change. Can't get those fresh new legs you want in staff if you don't try yourself or push for the people who are currently in staff trying to move up.

P.S. Fuck you Dominic - not for being a bad staff member but because you didn't get my reboot card in Fortnite.

Extreme you know I love you my guy but this post is a nothing burger.

Direct communication has been provided from multiple people on what they perceive needs to be done

1) get any server out on CS2 and populate it

2)  repair community trust in the leadership

3) stop letting petty beef ruin relationships with assets to the community

Outside of Elf, Jazzy and Huwajux's GMOD TTT server which servers should we be helping staff populate? There's no CS2 servers, CSS Gungame was a waste of resources when it was launched and I'm not even sure why an insurgency server was made... Even when the CSGO servers were up it was essentially pulling teeth to get CA+ on to them for the last few years unless someone was angling for a promotion.

Overall placing the onus on the community to revive itself is foolish. The initiative should be from the top down regardless of how "engulfed in real life" someone is, if it's that bad they should do what you did and step aside/away instead of doing the community they chose to dedicate their time to a disservice by no longer being in a position to lead by example in terms of activity and dedication. This community will never see the numbers it did even pre covid let alone back in the day if people continue to make excuses for people in positions of "power"  for their lack of engagement within the community.

Why should the people at the top be entitled to the communities time and effort if it is apparent that the community is not getting theirs? I cannot imagine the discussions taking place in the BD/white house section that has produced the decisions being made that completely ignores the core of almost every issue this place is currently dealing with and instead riles up a bunch of "what the fuck are they thinking" from almost everyone that has been close to the top of the power structure at this community.

Why should any former staff member want to work within the current power structure as well? I know I certainly don't have a want to sit here and read a 10 page dissertation full of circular logic and retardation every time I think something should be one way when the VP wants it another. I certainly don't want to work autonomously for months and then have every change I made negated by the president when he decides he wants to check up on his community. I definitely don't want to post my thoughts into a void where the majority of the people who should be the most active are indefinitely away.

Engaging on the forums in a meaningful way is what many in this thread are trying to achieve, whether or not the criticism is received and acted on or ears are covered and people start humming in distress is another topic.   

• Like 6

• Content Count:  1257

9 minutes ago, delirium said:

Direct communication has been provided from multiple people on what they perceive needs to be done

Outside of Elf, Jazzy and Huwajux's GMOD TTT server which servers should we be helping staff populate? There's no CS2 servers, CSS Gungame was a waste of resources when it was launched and I'm not even sure why an insurgency server was made... Even when the CSGO servers were up it was essentially pulling teeth to get CA+ on to them for the last few years unless someone was angling for a promotion.

Overall placing the onus on the community to revive itself is foolish. The initiative should be from the top down regardless of how "engulfed in real life" someone is, if it's that bad they should do what you did and step aside/away instead of doing the community they chose to dedicate their time to a disservice by no longer being in a position to lead by example in terms of activity and dedication. This community will never see the numbers it did even pre covid let alone back in the day if people continue to make excuses for people in positions of "power"  for their lack of engagement within the community.

Why should the people at the top be entitled to the communities time and effort if it is apparent that the community is not getting theirs? I cannot imagine the discussions taking place in the BD/white house section that has produced the decisions being made that completely ignores the core of almost every issue this place is currently dealing with and instead riles up a bunch of "what the fuck are they thinking" from almost everyone that has been close to the top of the power structure at this community.

Why should any former staff member want to work within the current power structure as well? I know I certainly don't have a want to sit here and read a 10 page dissertation full of circular logic and retardation every time I think something should be one way when the VP wants it another. I certainly don't want to work autonomously for months and then have every change I made negated by the president when he decides he wants to check up on his community. I definitely don't want to post my thoughts into a void where the majority of the people who should be the most active are indefinitely away.

Engaging on the forums in a meaningful way is what many in this thread are trying to achieve, whether or not the criticism is received and acted on or ears are covered and people start humming in distress is another topic.   

Exact and to a T.  Yes, I was inactive as a staff member.  Yes, I resigned due to that inactivity.  You can bash that behavior all you want, but at least I resigned and passed the position onward.  

As delirium said, why would anyone dedicate any more time to SG?  Its already obvious our opinions matter not, which was one of the main reasons I became inactive as a staff to begin with.  That and the lack of assistance in getting servers populated by other staff.  It became obvious it was a waste of time, and my priorities became elsewhere.  Once nishok brought it up, I agreed and immediately resigned.  Seems to go that way with much of the retired staff you are bashing now.  

We have been giving ideas, but those ideas 'dont want to be bumped up'.  

• Like 5

• Content Count:  5674

6 hours ago, Spiritwind said:

Dominics post about having asked the higher ups if he should resign is a crock of loaded shit.

Dude, listen.. I understand you have some sort of deep rooted hatred for me. You don't have to make that any more clear. I asked the Directors if they felt Caution and I should step aside, and was legitimately told by Caution to 'absolutely not resign'. I would gladly step aside if that's what people call for, but relevant names. No offense to you, but you came back in 2017 (?), were mostly inactive for a bit as TA, then left again. I hardly know who you are. Even Delirium and Kable with their strong, strong distaste for me are people with opinions I take into major account whenever they speak, and would do so on this. If the current staff is not up in arms about my 'inactivity', 'power hunger', 'tyrannical behavior', or anything else of the sort.. I'm not gonna push back and insist on resigning.

Truly, if I did something to you in the past to make you appear out of nowhere after years and harp on me for days, I'd love to apologize.. I'm just not sure where you're coming from at this point. It's getting a little ridiculous now and like eXtr3m3 said, far beyond the point of 'constructive criticism', you're not really giving me any pointers here lol. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Dude, listen.. I understand you have some sort of deep rooted hatred for me. You don't have to make that any more clear. I asked the Directors if they felt Caution and I should step aside, and was legitimately told by Caution to 'absolutely not resign'. I would gladly step aside if that's what people call for, but relevant names. No offense to you, but you came back in 2017 (?), were mostly inactive for a bit as TA, then left again. I hardly know who you are. Even Delirium and Kable with their strong, strong distaste for me are people with opinions I take into major account whenever they speak, and would do so on this. If the current staff is not up in arms about my 'inactivity', 'power hunger', 'tyrannical behavior', or anything else of the sort.. I'm not gonna push back and insist on resigning.

Truly, if I did something to you in the past to make you appear out of nowhere after years and harp on me for days, I'd love to apologize.. I'm just not sure where you're coming from at this point. It's getting a little ridiculous now and like eXtr3m3 said, far beyond the point of 'constructive criticism', you're not really giving me any pointers here lol. 

How dare you forget the ARK survival server owner. Shame on you.

32 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Another post that hits the nail on the head of exactly what i was talking about.  I'm not in your group, so anything I say is just words in the wind.  "No offense to you, but you came back in 2017 (?), were mostly inactive for a bit as TA, then left again. I hardly know who you are" So much for being open to criticism and you welcome this sort of talk.   

You have not done anything to make me hate you, and I don't hate you.  I wish you the best in life, and I hope life is good.  With that said, I don't think you should have ever been let back into SG, and I made it clear on why I believe that.  You being let back into the community is just a symptom of the sickness killing the community.  

I'm just calling you out, and you aren't use to that.  Your admins aren't going to call you out, they don't want to 'end up banned' like half the people who commented support.  The rest are all in your social group, and of course they aren't going to call you out. 

"If the current staff" You keep saying the staff, and that is where I call you out on your crock of shit.  90% of the people posting in here have said exactly that "RESIGN".  Your staff isn't calling you out, the whole freaking community is Dominic.  This is a community after all, they are the ones that matter.  

You guys can joke and act like this is some popcorn eating charade, or you can take action.  Not my choice and I'm getting tired of trying.  When it fails though, just remember it did so under your supreme 'leadership'.  

This is getting ridiculous because you guys are trying to move on and pretend like nothing happened.  I have given pointers here; for you to resign, for inactive staff to resign, and for the remaining active staff to start rebuilding stronger and better, in a community oriented way.  Not wasting precious man hours on pointless avenues but instead focus on what matters.  The community, populating the servers, and getting people engaged.  

"don't think we're in the right spot for me to leave the guys in power directionless" Yes, because your direction has really helped a lot.  Such a booming community since you became VP :)

Edited by Spiritwind

Yes, I was inactive, but I've also been a member since 2009.  I ran another gaming community, and instead of trying to steal SG members, I fed SG members from my gaming community.  When we finally disbanded, it actually became a part of SG Minecraft.  When you actually genuinely care about a place, instead of just being power hungry and wanting a title, that is the sort of thing you do.  The power hungry don't change, they just get better at hiding it.

For the last 14 years I have been involved in SG.  To give you a reference, that's longer than you lived without SG.  14 years later and I still care enough to check in.  I've made some lifetime friends in here, and unforgettable memories.  I hate seeing it ran into the ground. I hate seeing what it has become.  I hate seeing some of the same staff working their butts off, hoping for change; but continuing just to keep it alive.  

If you look back at my inactivity, you will see that I left and took a break when similar terrible decisions were made, and the higher staff failed to listen to the community.  It's been an ongoing plague, and I've finally reached the point where I'll keep calling it out until I either get banned or change actually happens.  If we don't, then the whole community will go under anyways.  

Way to try and belittle and disregard the criticism though.  Sure you say the same thing about the 20 individual accounts you and the staff banned over it.  

Also, most of your staff thinks the same.  They just don't want to get pushed out of the social group.  

• Content Count:  2167

6 hours ago, delirium said:

CS2 Surf will be out soon. We are evaluating JB options, and ZE is far out at this point for some development time from me and my roommate to build something we can work with.

These are my opinions, not the boards/other AO's:

There has been basically zero expectation that the community will revive itself and every single discussion about CS2 servers has purely been about "who will manage it and get the players on, and who here is willing to play?"

More on the players:

I can tell you most if not all of our TTT regulars who were not prior SG old heads literally have zero fucking clue or care who the fuck caution or dom is. They are here to play on the servers. Even the ones in TTT do not care, they want to play games. This is a gaming community, not a drama community. Barring map changes/additions from Elfbarf, they do not care about the community unless it's to play games and inteact with certain people who they like. Seemingly, they are fairly content with the discord structure and can navigate to #gmod-ttt and talk about the server, seeding, etc. Maybe that will change and they will become more involved but at this point it is not there.

As for the forums discussion:

we moved this conversation to discord because it was easier for me to react emoji the mididle finger to everything spiritwind and delirium said, feel free to join up and scroll through 1500 messages of nostalgia, snide comments from delirium, and "show me the proof"'s.

RE: the forums 2

I think I am willing to agree to let the forums be for now but I do not believe steering anyone here is in our best interest, it should solely be for event posting long format and maybe some longer discussions. 

That being said, I still think steam-gamers.net needs to resolve to a landing page and not the forums directly.

The discord URL in our server hostname, advertisements in game, etc are much better to connect with our players. It takes seconds to join a discord if you already have an account. It can take minutes to join a forums and immediate interaction takes much longer versus sending a single message reporting something or asking a question, or even just introducing yourself. I've laid out a lot of my thoughts on points regarding the forums and they have not changed from our discord discussion.

Inactive admins - Happy to step down if the people who have posted in this thread think I'm not delivering on something in an adequate time or I'm not the right fit for the community. Otherwise I have no other opinions on this.

Also it's elf's server, not mine!

• Like 1
Edited by jazzy

27 minutes ago, jazzy said:

CS2 Surf will be out soon. We are evaluating JB options, and ZE is far out at this point for some development time from me and my roommate to build something we can work with.

These are my opinions, not the boards/other AO's:

There has been basically zero expectation that the community will revive itself and every single discussion about CS2 servers has purely been about "who will manage it and get the players on, and who here is willing to play?"

More on the players:

I can tell you most if not all of our TTT regulars who were not prior SG old heads literally have zero fucking clue or care who the fuck caution or dom is. They are here to play on the servers. Even the ones in TTT do not care, they want to play games. This is a gaming community, not a drama community. Barring map changes/additions from Elfbarf, they do not care about the community unless it's to play games and inteact with certain people who they like. Seemingly, they are fairly content with the discord structure and can navigate to #gmod-ttt and talk about the server, seeding, etc. Maybe that will change and they will become more involved but at this point it is not there.

As for the forums discussion:

we moved this conversation to discord because it was easier for me to react emoji the mididle finger to everything spiritwind and delirium said, feel free to join up and scroll through 1500 messages of nostalgia, snide comments from delirium, and "show me the proof"'s.

RE: the forums 2

I think I am willing to agree to let the forums be for now but I do not believe steering anyone here is in our best interest, it should solely be for event posting long format and maybe some longer discussions. 

That being said, I still think steam-gamers.net needs to resolve to a landing page and not the forums directly.

The discord URL in our server hostname, advertisements in game, etc are much better to connect with our players. It takes seconds to join a discord if you already have an account. It can take minutes to join a forums and immediate interaction takes much longer versus sending a single message reporting something or asking a question, or even just introducing yourself. I've laid out a lot of my thoughts on points regarding the forums and they have not changed from our discord discussion.

Inactive admins - Happy to step down if the people who have posted in this thread think I'm not delivering on something in an adequate time or I'm not the right fit for the community. Otherwise I have no other opinions on this.

Also it's elf's server, not mine!

I'm glad TTT is pulling people in never said I wasn't. I don't expect people joining here in 2023 after 1-20 hours of TTT  to care about the community outside of neat server to play on. SG has always been a gaming community with drama and I don't expect that it will ever change considering the demographics. It is not my intentions to tell Elf or Huwa or whoever how to manage their server or their player base, I really couldn't give two shits about how they do things as long as it's working and they're still impassioned to do the things they're currently doing.

As far as the last couple of sentences of that paragraph go its pretty par for the course for some percentage of players to involve themselves deeper into the community as they gain some time here and that is really who sticks around which is why the forums is crucial for player retention at the end of the day. People have a billion discords that they're active in that they can hop between at will which is not building brand loyalty or strengthening ties to a community at all. While people that just want to game is the lifeblood of the community as they keep population numbers on servers up which in turn brings even more people, that is not going to keep the community running indefinitely, you still need people to handle the day to day aspects of running the server and all of the other moderation that having a larger player base entails. Could all of this be handled on discord? possibly. Should all of it be handled on discord? absolutely not.

Discord is a tool, not the end all be all of communication and information distribution, for the longest time players who just wanted to play would join up on vent/ts and do just that. the difference is with discord it is so much easier to bubble your friend group out of the main community discord which leads to a perception of inactivity when it comes to voice chat which in turn makes discord a glorified shout box. The end goal for maximum player retention should have always been driving players to the forums before it became a ghost town. There is a reason you see people on here with join dates from over a decade ago still posting, even if it is infrequently. How many people that just joined the discord and not the forums in 2020 are still around and posting in there? I'll wait while you grab the stats.

responding on points that were not addressed to you seems a bit retarded and is becoming of a strawman but if you feel like your activity is low you're welcome to do whatever you like. A little or a lot of inactivity hasn't stopped anyone from holding rank here for a while. 

• Like 2

Exactly what Delirium said, with the exception that you keep pointing out what you think, without actually commenting on the points anyone else is making against your ideas.

Of course the forums are dead.  Staff abandoned the forums when it was the foundation of the community.  As pointed out in discord chat, nowhere in the Gmod Server does it mention the forums, but right off the bat it mentions discord.  Trying to say "well players are joining discord instead of the forums" is baseless, as of course they are only going to join discord when they don't know about the forums...

Not only that, I don't even see mention of the forums really on discord.  I don't see any form of incentive to join the forums.  

Forums help retain members.  The proof you are looking for is in this very thread.  As delirium pointed out, you have people who have been members for 15 years commenting on this thread.  

As delirium pointed out (and I in the past here), discord does not retain members.  Its just another server channel in the 50+ channels most people are in.  I'm in about a dozen discord channels.  Most, I joined, was active for a week or two, and never left, but haven't looked since.  90% of your members in discord are probably exactly the same.  

"Even the ones in TTT ... they do not care about the community unless it's to play games"

That is where our leadership has failed.  At least one spot.  To make a community, you have to form an environment people want to be a part of.  When you joined, you didn't just stick to a single server.  No, you joined the forums, discovered we had more to offer, and then got banned.  Point is, you are drawing in a useless crowd.  It will not build SG up.  It is a placebo of numbers.  You admit as much yourself.  But, the numbers help you feel like its a success, so you want to remove one of the true indicators of the pace things are actually at. 

Discord:

Pros:
Easy to have light convos.  

Easy to create an account.

Voice Chat Channels (Although currently mostly unused) right at your fingertips.  

Easy to quickly burry mistakes.

Huge Numbers of inactive players showing active

Cons:

Terrible at data management.  

Terrible at providing information.

Very disorganized and overwhelming for new people with walls of information.

Terrible amounts of useless bot spam that blow out 'stats' that make things look more active.

Does not stand out from the other mass of 1000s of gaming communities.  Just another generic channel in the horde.  

Useless donations with 'perks' that don't actually seem to do anything real to help.

No google seo.  No email gathering.  No user retention.

Forums:

Pros:

Easy data management. 

Easy Information Tool.

Looks professional.

Sets us aside from the horde of failing gaming communities.

Google SEO and search result potential

Server Tracking.

Realistic user interaction statistics.

Easy to research prior information and events.

Email gathering to help with long term retention through event announcements (why don't we have a newsletter?)

Already have 23,000+ members

Long term users visit the forums regularly.  Helps to show that SG has been around, and will be around if the right choices are made.

Future possibilities are endless.  The forums can be molded into whatever we want.  Discord can only be molded into what discord wants (or spam bots people have created).  

IS THE FOUNDATION ON WHICH SG HAS BEEN BUILT

Cons:
Takes staff time to maintain. 

Is a coding mess currently.  

Easy for users to see discussions such as this that are going on.

Was abandoned "very stupidly" by previous staff.  

Is harder for users to make accounts.  But, long term retention is far higher.  There is also a reason donations were much more successful when the forums were active.  

Anyone who thinks the forums aren't failing because of discord must not have been around much prior to 2018.  A lot of work went into the forums, yes, but SG did very well because of it.  It really comes down to incentives.  There were lots of incentives before to join the forum, now there are 0.  You were told all over in the server, by the server and players, to join up and join the convo.  Now there is none of that.  Yes, even before discord we were having trouble with getting and keeping members on the forums, but that was also after we got rid of most of our forums benefits. We also got rid of the SG Mem and reg system, which were very big attractors to the forums.  

Now all that attention is on Discord, and it's not really generating very much beyond what the shoutbox previously accomplished.  

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1051

I would like to make a post about the future of SG specifically.

A lot of people are attached to the forums and I can see that. There was never a plan to get rid of the forums and the topic of that was only curiosity it what the community thought. The main idea was just to make our website more navigate-able for the younger audience who have less experience with forums. Adding a landing page would allow for a forums button and a discord, allowing people to choose the direction they would like to interact with the community. The discord would still link to the forums for longer posts or explanations of decisions/servers/anything else that needed long form posts that would just not be good for discord. With that said almost all community’s now days have pretty inactive forums in terms of the player base and not staff/rule/how to posts. It is a large change but gaming in general is just more discord oriented now. This is not my opinion but instead shown by all of the community’s with extremely popular discords, some of which don’t have a website at all.

I would also like to touch on the future of servers for SG; we are currently trying to keep a lot of effort into Gmod TTT as it has been very successful and brought a lot of members into the community so far (I’m sure no one has disagreements there). Next we are working on getting a CS2 surf server up as a few of the AOs as well as other staff have shown interest in playing it. That will hopefully be out soon, just sorting out the last few things. After that there is not a specific plan but we are looking into avenues such as PB, MG, or ZE; the main thing we would like to have before we jump on those is a dedicated set of staff that is willing to put in the time that Elf, Jazzy, and Huwa are putting into Gmod TTT. These are large player base servers and without the effort of server populating and gathering people to play the servers (a few times a week) they will probably not go anywhere. Once we find the direction we would like to go we will run with it and open another server. One of the main things we would like to avoid is opening a bunch of servers with no one trying to initiate population causing those servers to just sit dead and not gather regulars from them. This has been brought up a few times recently, the staff does hear it, and we would like to fix it.

I would like to touch on a few things brought up recently, mainly about community members being a part of population or community revival. There is a lot of truth to this, a few month ago I spent some time asking people what they would like to see (server and event wise) and Minecraft, rust, and CS2 comp was brought up by a few. I then decided to do a CS2 event in which I had 3 total people show up to (we still had a lot of fun either way); most of the people that frequent this community a lot, some of which kept asking me to make this an event, did not show up. Similar goes for Minecraft and rust in which I played each quite a bit and would @ people on discord asking if anyone wanted to join while sitting in VC as well so anyone could join. I am not saying this to call out anyone specific or saying that “it doesn’t work”; I am just trying to point out that if people do want to see this community prosper and grow to hopefully be what it was once before they need to join in. Hop in call and just chat even if you are playing another game, join events, join when people are doing server pop, just have fun as a community. SG is about more then just being a big community, so many fun memories are made by a few people just playing some games together and hanging out. This goes for staff and regulars by the way, I am by no means saying staff is not at fault. Either way I hope I will see some of you in the next event or server pop we do. :)

Also thanks to everyone who joined up for the Lethal Company event we had, I could not join because I was out of town but I heard it was a lot of fun.

• Like 3

Reply to Thread