? servers

? players online

TTT as it is now and Incentives

• Content Count:  1423

I can agree with part of that because i personally don't take my karma all too seriously but a lot of people do like to see their karma go up and like said above being able to get higher karma encourages people to follow the rules so that they can get the higher karma. I don't see what your problem is with making the karma go higher as all it does is gives some people a reason to follow the rules, and i definitely don't see a reasoning for making it lower @LargeAll

• Like 1

• Content Count:  152

I can agree with part of that because i personally don't take my karma all too seriously but a lot of people do like to see their karma go up and like said above being able to get higher karma encourages people to follow the rules so that they can get the higher karma. I don't see what your problem is with making the karma go higher as all it does is gives some people a reason to follow the rules, and i definitely don't see a reasoning for making it lower @LargeAll

Yea, because the risk of getting banned is not incentive enough to follow the rules...

Giving people higher karma gives them a shield allowing them to rdm without consequences if there's no admin.

It effectively makes them immune from the original purpose of the karma system, to punish rdm, wouldn't it be better just to give a max of 2k karma and if they decide to mass rdm and kill 6 innos, they get a huge hit on karma and actually get punished when there's no admin present?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  211

Yea, because the risk of getting banned is not incentive enough to follow the rules...

Giving people higher karma gives them a shield allowing them to rdm without consequences if there's no admin.

It effectively makes them immune from the original purpose of the karma system, to punish rdm, wouldn't it be better just to give a max of 2k karma and if they decide to mass rdm and kill 6 innos, they get a huge hit on karma and actually get punished when there's no admin present?

I think the issue with that is -50 and -100 is too much karma lost. There are plenty of times where players may accidentally kill people in a crossfire especially when the server is full and I don't think its fair to massively drop someones karma that much for an accident. Also I don't really think having higher karma necessary gives someone a shield because everyone is prone to being reported/recorded for their actions. If your intent was to gain high karma just so you can rdm without consequences that just makes you a terrible regular and i personally don't think you would last long at all before an admin or another regular reports you. Rdming with high karma and trying to get away with it imo just means the player has no integrity.

I do however like the idea of raising the lost of karma when players rdm though. I'm not sure what a fair number would be, but im sure the community could come up with a poll or vote to change it.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  152

You could recover from a -100 and -50 karma lost easily since accidents happen every 15 rounds or so if you truly do care about not rdming, and the intent of the karma system is to punish rdmers no matter if they're a regular or not. Letting people get their karma up to 10k defeats the purpose of the karma system. How about we actually create a system for those fancy point farmers instead of making a system not meant for point farming to point farm?

The fact in itself that you could just be able to completely negate the system that's meant to punish rdm if you have enough karma isn't fair to any sense. A simple point system separate to the karma system would allow the karma system to apply to everyone and please the point farmers at the same time.

• Content Count:  391

I'll give this a bump.

I also believe we should increase the max cap of karma, or make it an uncap amount of karma that can be achieved. I also believe we should reset karma a bit more often then we do, a lot of regulars will only come on during the first few weeks of karma being reset and I feel like resetting it a bit more often will keep the regulars that know the rules on and keep the randoms that only come on to cause trouble away. Doing these things will make TTT a bit more competitive but I believe it would be for the best.

EDIT: more resets would be prefered

• Content Count:  2668

Personally, I wouldn't mind bumping the karma max.

The !ktop thing is kinda broke when you start getting a lot of people at max karma. It's intended to show you who has the most karma, but if you have 10 people with that, it doesn't really work.

• Content Count:  615

Gonna be honest, i’m not a fan of raising the max karma. However, the thought of resetting the karma more often is something that caught my attention.

Flashback time:

I joined SG right before the most recent karma reset. I didn’t really know anybody and nobody really knew who I was. As a shy player who doesn’t use his mic a lot there wasn’t really an easy path to earning a spot here in this community.

And then I heard about insidious’ “race to max karma” competition. The reset and this competition provided me with a way to make a name for myself. Raising the karma cap wont give this opportunity to all of our new players. Maybe a karma reset after 10 people reach max karma?

The competition I mentioned involved skin rewards, however, any future competitions could involve special nametags that players could wear across all of the servers. Similiar to the custom nametags that Subs and VIPs get.

Edit: I reached max karma fairly early and if you take a peek at my TTT activity before and after, well, it’s a steap drop. Personally I don’t enjoy playing a server that is filled with mic spam completely irrelevant to the game and loads of RDMing. Maybe karma competitions with rewards would minimalize this and provoke people to ACTUALLY play the gamemode properly.

Edited by tides

• Content Count:  829

From my perceptive it seems like people are using karma as a ranking system rather than what is what meant to be in the first place, a way to encourage people to play the game mode properly. Why don't we just cut to the chase and actually implement a real ranking system rather than using something like karma as a weak substitute for it, which it shouldn't have become in the first place.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  5108

From my perceptive it seems like people are using karma as a ranking system rather than what is what meant to be in the first place, a way to encourage people to play the game mode properly. Why don't we just cut to the chase and actually implement a real ranking system rather than using something like karma as a weak substitute for it, which it shouldn't have become in the first place.

I agree with you completely.

In addition to adding a proper ranking system, do you think it would be possible to make karma the way it was intended to be aka the way it was in GMod TTT? It used to start players off at 1000 karma, you would gain/lose karma for killing the right/wrong people, and every map change it would reset players back to 1000 karma. I've never been an advocate of permanent karma as I had a hunch it would turn into a way for people to stroke their e-peen.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  11723

I agree with you completely.

In addition to adding a proper ranking system, do you think it would be possible to make karma the way it was intended to be aka the way it was in GMod TTT? It used to start players off at 1000 karma, you would gain/lose karma for killing the right/wrong people, and every map change it would reset players back to 1000 karma. I've never been an advocate of permanent karma as I had a hunch it would turn into a way for people to stroke their e-peen.

Gmod ttt oh do i miss it

Reply to Thread