? servers

? players online

Changing the names of our ranks

• Content Count:  1952

My mindset, similar to with AT -> SM, is that it's not super easy to understand what it does from the outside looking in. Visiting another forum and seeing the rank "Mapper" is pretty self-explanatory and may immediately catch someone's interest, but "Modding Team" doesn't seem to have that same effect. The name was originally switched from "Mapping" to "Modding" with what you had said in mind. However, I think the work the team would do outside of mapping is so minuscule that it'd still make plenty of sense. Majority of it would probably be map work and majority of the people coming into the rank would probably only know how to do map work.

Alright, I completely understand where you're coming with this and that Mapper usually covers the majority of the team, I think it would still capture that interest just as well as Modder. Not sure if this is the case, but I just thought "Mapping" was too specific for this change. Now that I see it from hindsight, I can see why you would change it to Mapper. I just still think that's it better for the face of the team to be named Modder than Mapping.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  8754

Before IA I remember we threw back and forth the idea of "Server Manager", but it didn't make sense due to the diversity of the role. However, now that IA is a thing I think it would be good.

Also, never understood why BD was named the way it was lol. Director makes sense.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1799

Going to make a new reply with my thoughts after reading the post after mine.

President -> President :check:

Vice President -> Vice President :check:

Team Name: Board of Directors

Individual(s) Title: Board of Directors -> Director :check:

Team Name: Internal Affairs

Individual(s) Title: Internal Affairs -> Operations Officer

- It doesn't make sense to make sense to call someone an "Internal Affair" when referencing who they are. I really couldn't think of anything else besides "Operations Officer" Since IA's can pretty much handle anything from admin disputes to discussing certain elements of the future of SG. I just really believe that IA members shouldn't be called "IA."

Team Name: Server Managers

Administrative Manager -> Lead Manager

Mine: Administrative Manager -> Lead Server Manager

Individual(s) Title: Administrative Team - Server Manager :check:

There's really no easy way around this, other than to just slap "Server" in it so it's much more specific.

Team Name: Technical Team

Individual(s) Title: Technical Manager -> Technical Manager :check:

Individual(s) Title: Technical Team -> Technical Administrator :check:

Individual(s) Title: Junior Technical Administrator -> Junior Technical Administrator :check:

Team Name: Events Team

Events Manager -> Lead Coordinator

Mine: Events Manager -> Lead Events Coordinator

Events Team -> Event Coordinator :check:

Again, more specific and just shows what they do.

Team Name: Media Team

Individual(s) Title: Media Manager -> Lead Designer :check:

Individual(s) Title: Media Team -> Designers :check:

Team Name: ?????

Individual(s) Title: Modding Manager -> Lead Mapper

Individual(s) Title: Modding Team -> Mapper

Due to what @Dominic said, I have no clue how to tie in the interest of what they want people to perceive the team as and a name that fits it all. IMO, I think it could be cool if each individual person had there own title. So there would be...

Mapper

Modder

and whatever else someone on the modding team would do. Personally, whatever makes the team most appealing is what we should go for, however it should be stressed that mapping isn't the only thing on the team's responsibilities.

Team Name: Community Advisors

Individual(s) Title: Lead Advisor -> Lead Advisor :check:

Individual(s) Title: Community Advisor -> Community Advisor :check:

Individual(s) Title: Senior Administrator -> Senior Administrator :check:

Individual(s) Title: Administrator -> Administrator :check:

Individual(s) Title: Legend -> Legend :check:

A big part of my thoughts are just making sure the actual team names stay intact, and that these are mostly just name changes for the individual team members.

• Like 8
Edited by Manny

• Content Count:  958

@Dom

Each Director would still make up the Board of Directors. It just doesn't make much sense for someone to hold the rank "Board of Directors" as no one person makes up the entire Board.

ive always seen it as “that person is on the board of directors” rather than an individual rank like AT. imo it sounds better and director is very broad. as mentioned with the other name changes you guys felt like it didnt explain what the role is. director of what exactly, you know what i mean? its not as obvious as modding team or server manager whereas board of directors sounds like a pretty important and high ranking position.

how about cartographer instead of mapper. @Noxstar thoughts?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  820

Team Name: Internal Affairs

Individual(s) Title: Internal Affairs -> Operations Officer

I personally like Internal Affairs and think it's one of the ones that should remain unchanged. You're right someone can't be an "Internal Affairs" but Operation Officer or anything else probably wouldn't highlight the role the IAs have imo...

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1799

I personally like Internal Affairs and think it's one of the ones that should remain unchanged. You're right someone can't be an "Internal Affairs" but Operation Officer or anything else probably wouldn't highlight the role the IAs have imo...

You're absolutely right, I was just throwing an idea out there hoping someone else would get some sort of brain surge and think of something better. Also to add, personally, I have no clue what exactly an IA does so it'd be best for someone from that rank or above to think of something more accurate.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2694

I think I am part of the minority of people who thinks that the current titles are fine as is except for a few. Personally I think that the Events Team and Media Team should stay as is because that is what they are. "Events Coordinator" and "Lead Coordinator" just doesn't sound right to me and the Media Team makes sense as the Media Team. It's what they do, media. I remember when the modding team was first introduced and I talked to you about the name of it and why it wasn't called Mapping Team or what not and you brought up a good point that mapping isn't the only thing they do. Sure, the current roster might focus primarily on Mapping but then that would cut out the portion of people who are solely interested in modelling. One could say that a person who knows how to model most likely knows how to make a map but the title just doesn't fit. I like the title change for the Administrative Team as it makes more sense and aligns with what they do. I also agree with the changes for the Technical Team. One thing that irks me is the title change for BDs. I understand that being a "Board of Director" doesn't really make sense as opposed to being a Director but the "BD" title is a staple, if that makes sense. Everyone knows you guys as "BDs" it would be weird to just switch to Director even if it makes sense. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Just saw what @Manny suggested about the Modding Team and I like his idea a lot.

• Like 8
Edited by John

• Content Count:  1952

One thing that irks me is the title change for BDs. I understand that being a "Board of Director" doesn't really make sense as opposed to being a Director but the "BD" title is a staple, if that makes sense. Everyone knows you guys as "BDs" it would be weird to just switch to Director even if it makes sense. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

I completely agree with this. Honestly, I just don't want to go from saying the BD's to the D's.

Like yo wassup man, ya herd 'bout the new D promotion yo?

Reply to Thread