? servers

? players online

TeamSpeak Server

• Content Count:  452

10 minutes ago, kabLe said:

what are your supporting arguments to stop developing our Discord and retransition back to TeamSpeak?

What was your reason for posting your original comment on this thread? You're a staff member meme-ing on a suggestion thread. Why would new users post suggestions to be met with staff derailing a legitimate thread?

I'm not suggesting that the discord be purged. SG discord and ts coexisted once upon a time. Discord is not a friendly platform and they do not value user privacy.  

• Content Count:  1009

19 minutes ago, Gumline said:

Why would new users post suggestions to be met with staff derailing a legitimate thread?

I'm not suggesting that the discord be purged. SG discord and ts coexisted once upon a time. Discord is not a friendly platform and they do not value user privacy.  

Going to be honest with you gumline, trolling is your thing, you love doing it. It's weird that you play this card with a literal boy who cried wolf scenario. Discord is a friendly platform, a lot easier to use, and easy to set up. 

I would personally love to have a teamspeak server again, but in reality it's outdated, and it's not growing nearly as much as discord is. To have a teamspeak server with it's own domain IP, it costs more to use than just having it for free with discord. We've combatted the entire discord private channels thing which was really the only reason people wanted a teamspeak server. We've already moved most of the community over and it's really only a few select oldheads who really want teamspeak back, sure you can make the argument that you can just create one and you're not losing anything, but in reality it just seems like a waste of money.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  452

1 minute ago, Poke said:

Going to be honest with you gumline, trolling is your thing, you love doing it. It's weird that you play this card with a literal boy who cried wolf scenario. Discord is a friendly platform, a lot easier to use, and easy to set up. 

I would personally love to have a teamspeak server again, but in reality it's outdated, and it's not growing nearly as much as discord is. To have a teamspeak server with it's own domain IP, it costs more to use than just having it for free with discord. We've combatted the entire discord private channels thing which was really the only reason people wanted a teamspeak server. We've already moved most of the community over and it's really only a few select oldheads who really want teamspeak back, sure you can make the argument that you can just create one and you're not losing anything, but in reality it just seems like a waste of money.

There it is, the personal attacks resume and not surprisingly from a staff member. You state "trolling is my thing" as if I go around trolling on threads where it'd be inappropriate or forum rule breaking. It's not true but you don't care because you wrote the lie, in an attempt to make me look bad because I called out what happened in this thread. 

How is bringing something back that users want a waste of money? Discord can flip the switch on SG discord at any moment. TeamSpeak would be a net positive to this community. More secure, and less susceptible to deplatforming.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

5 minutes ago, Gumline said:

How is bringing something back that users want a waste of money? Discord can flip the switch on SG discord at any moment. TeamSpeak would be a net positive to this community. More secure, and less susceptible to deplatforming.

No one, aside from you, cares about any of this. Discord isn't going to 'flip the switch' on us. SG Discord is here to stay, let TS be a good memory of the past.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1654

28 minutes ago, Gumline said:

There it is, the personal attacks resume and not surprisingly from a staff member. You state "trolling is my thing" as if I go around trolling on threads where it'd be inappropriate or forum rule breaking. It's not true but you don't care because you wrote the lie, in an attempt to make me look bad because I called out what happened in this thread. 

You a lawyer yet? Need to handle a defamation case against @BoM.

31 minutes ago, Gumline said:

We're currently working towards refining and polishing our discord to hopefully become partnered so no, discord won't just 'flip the switch' on us when we're adhering to all discord rules and guidelines. TeamSpeak would most definitely be a net negative in terms of our financial status as we wouldn't be gaining more subscriptions for just creating and maintaining a TeamSpeak server. But besides the financial argument, why would we want to split our attention from discord into a lesser known and lesser used communication application that our targeted demographics don't use nearly as often as they use discord. TeamSpeak is great when it comes to reminiscing the great times and moments we had on it but its just that now, there's no viable future for it (at least not in our current situation as a community). 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  6759

On 4/3/2022 at 5:22 AM, Gumline said:

Do you two genuinely prefer discord over teamspeak?

I genuinely prefer TS over the two (Ventrilo and Mumble*), however, I prefer Discord above them all. Discord has grown on me since the transition and the cool features it has to offer actually speaks to me. It's increasing popularity and exposure makes me realize having TS and Discord co-exist is a waste of time and effort. Remember, we tried both and decided to close down TeamSpeak eventually. I've seen a few communities run both simultaneously. It either leads to their TS shutting down or the Discord server simply gets more attention over the TS server. We'd be splitting people in the community by having both co-exist and eventually hurts the presence of having people in a singular platform when that happens.

Look at GFL - one of the biggest gaming communities to exist and they're heavily dependent on Discord. They run multiple Discords and only promote the main one on their forums and main Steam group. I don't even think they have TeamSpeak anymore (?) and they're 5-10x bigger than us lol. It's just a matter of appealing to the target audience. The target audience for us remains to be Discord users and will continue until something comes in the future and beats Discord.

12 hours ago, Gumline said:

TeamSpeak would be a net positive to this community

Funny thing is that closing down TS and putting all our eggs into the Discord basket actually made it more net positive than having both TS and Discord open. Influx of newer generation of players combined with older generation of players that stuck around formed a nice balance. We were not getting this influx of players as much as before back when we either had TS only or when we had both open. People that preferred TS would continue to stay on it while those that preferred Discord stayed there, however, that didn't help with the social engagement for the community as a whole. Can you imagine seeing a portion of staff and regulars on TS while new people can't even interact with us because people are sitting on TS? Same thing vice-versa. That hurt SG as a whole. Sometimes you have to sacrifice things you don't want to for the better of the community. That's where closing down TS came into the picture.

12 hours ago, Gumline said:

More secure, and less susceptible to deplatforming

Yeah, it's more secure but I disagree with you about Discord susceptible to deplatforming. I don't recall a time it's pulled a move like that. Sure Twitter has done it but Discord? Maybe give me an example because I haven't seen it happen. Discord is well-known all over the world now. There's a reason you'll see it up there as a form of social media alongside Twitter, FB, etc. Just look at YouTube and Twitch gaming streamers. They have their own communities built not only around the platform they stream on, but they also create pubic Discords to gather their viewers to form their own community. YouTube, Epic Games, and many other places offer Discord Nitro to new subscribers as an incentive to join the platform and be familiar with it. What does TeamSpeak have to offer for such people? You're less likely to find newcomers wanting to hop on a TeamSpeak when you can create a hub with Discord. 

TeamSpeak will only speak out to the older generation of players here at SG. Most of these players aren't around as much as before either. A small portion still remains on staff, a few retired staff and members come around, but the rest are long gone with an occasional hello and goodbye. So why would we want to bring back TS when majority of our community heavily uses Discord? I come from a generation of Ventrilo but overtime you begin to realize that things eventually become obsolete because something else beats it. 

If TeamSpeak 3 wasn't so outdated back in the day and if TS 5 (was rumored 4) had came out, then maaaaaybe we would have reconsidered closing it down. Have you seen it's development? It's been in beta since 2019 :rip: Btw, this is not me saying that once TS 5 is officially out of beta that we'd open TeamSpeak again. It's me saying that the ship has sailed and the likelihood of considering having both again is extremely low. We shut down TS back in June 2020 and because it's been 1.5 years, I think it's safe to say that it did end up in the community's best interests in doing so.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2206

10 hours ago, Gumline said:

What was your reason for posting your original comment on this thread? You're a staff member meme-ing on a suggestion thread. Why would new users post suggestions to be met with staff derailing a legitimate thread?

Why would you say that I was derailing? I was simply adding another form of communication as a possible successor to the discord? 

I’m kind of insulted that you would just label my contribution to this legitimate suggestion as a meme. I’d respectfully ask you to not slander me like that again. I have as much detail in my post as you did in yours sir.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread