? servers

? players online

05/24/22 Robb Elementary School, TX...

• Content Count:  903

20 minutes ago, lynxie said:

Hey guys, I understand that you really want to talk about gun laws and what not, but that isn't really what this post is about. Make a thread about your opinions on gun laws and what not, let's just end the thread here, or actually talk about what happened.

Well like, firearms and firearm rights/legislation is the core reason as well as mental health behind this tragedy. 
Aside from expanding the conversation to include other aspects of these incidents, there isn’t much to talk about aside for giving condolences for any injured/deceased which can be done w a one liner post.

Including relevant topics in the thread when you haven’t said to stick to specific topics isn’t derailing the convo.

I’d say you’ve actually done a good job at bringing conversation to the thread given the topic.

If you’re not happy w where it’s going tho I’d suggest asking someone to lock the thread 🤷🏼 

• Content Count:  1920

5 hours ago, Wawa said:

200+ school shootings this year alone in the US, highest in the world. 

Source? Any source I've checked says there is nowhere near this amount. Obviously we are way way way more than any other country, but there have not been 200+ school shootings THIS YEAR. 

Idk. As awful as it sounds they happen so often I'm almost numb to this. I don't feel like any change will occur with the current government officials. We need more thorough background checks and required safety training and maybe even a permit before someone can own a gun. While they're at it up the age to 21, for all guns. RIP to the poor young souls who won't live out their lives.

Food for thought-- Sandy Hook was 10 years ago. Those kids would be 16 and 17 now. So many politicians swore it would never happen again. Here we stand in 2022 and nothing has changed. Nothing will change until we throw those up top out.

• Like 1
Edited by Phoenix_

• Content Count:  1583

5 minutes ago, Phoenix_ said:

Source? Any source I've checked says there is nowhere near this amount. Obviously we are way way way more than any other country, but there have not been 200+ school shootings THIS YEAR. 

Idk. As awful as it sounds they happen so often I'm almost numb to this. I don't feel like any change will occur with the current government officials. We need more thorough background checks and required safety training and maybe even a permit before someone can own a gun. While they're at it up the age to 21, for all guns. RIP to the poor young souls who won't live out their lives.

Food for thought-- Sandy Hook was 10 years ago. Those kids would be 16 and 17 now. So many politicians swore it would never happen again. Here we stand in 2022 and nothing has changed. Nothing will change until we throw those up top out.

How do you intend to do that? Voting? lol

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3740

9 minutes ago, Phoenix_ said:

I can find the source and edit this post later since I’m currently on my phone at my job, but it was a Wikipedia page that listed every single school shooting in the US this year, where it was, how many died, etc. and I think the total number came out to like 202 or something like that.

• Content Count:  908

19 minutes ago, Wawa said:

I can find the source and edit this post later since I’m currently on my phone at my job, but it was a Wikipedia page that listed every single school shooting in the US this year, where it was, how many died, etc. and I think the total number came out to like 202 or something like that.

The term "Mass Shooting" carries a lot of weight and when people say there have been 200+ "Mass Shootings" this year it's not entirely accurate.

18 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

That Wikipedia list for instance includes literally everything from this shooting to an altercation between a few people.

009a3fd524d2b64a33b2058e3687b0c9.png

d93820fc82d9955fc188bdfcfd995a23.png

59ae4c22df9e224806636b371887c026.png

26ff8700d79ffa374aca2dc7ff0aaaef.png

When people say "Mass Shooting" they're typically referring to events like Parkland or Las Vegas or others like them, not a bar fight shootout.

Obviously, this shooting is very new and we don't have all of the details yet but it seems like the police utterly failed to do their jobs. Apparently, the shooter was engaged by either 2 or 3 resource officers but they failed to stop him before he went inside a classroom. The shooting lasted for over 30 minutes which is absolutely unacceptable given the amount of police presence on site.

I can't imagine what all of the parents are going through right now, this should never have happened and we need to find a solution. My condolences to the families and victims.

• Like 1
Edited by Infinityward

• Content Count:  1654

1 hour ago, Infinityward said:

When people say "Mass Shooting" they're typically referring to events like Parkland or Las Vegas or others like them, not a bar fight shootout.

The definition of "Mass Shooting" isn't universally agreed upon as there is no law that defines the term. The closest that comes to it is the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012 that defines "mass killings" but not mass shooting. However, major media outlets and other groups including CNN define mass shootings as "four or more shot (injured or killed) in a single incident, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter.'' So even though you say the term is typically referred to the extreme scenarios such as Parkland and the Las Vegas incident it's best to be careful with this assumption as many agree and/or are used to the way in which the media defines mass shootings and go along with it. 

1 hour ago, Wawa said:

I think you may have misread or misinterpreted what you had seen. I can't find anywhere mentioning over 200 school shootings but rather over 200 mass shootings as @Gentoolinked a source. I did find however a npr article recently written mentioning how many school shootings have taken place this year however, none of them are considered "mass shootings" (besides the latest texas shooting ofc) per the major media outlets definition. 

npr source - https://www.npr.org/2022/05/24/1101050970/2022-school-shootings-so-far

Anyway these latest tragedies (including the buffalo NY shooting) could have very easily been avoided through the passage of background checks like H.R. 8 and increasing the age that can purchase these weapons from 18 to 21. Sadly, whether you're a democrat, republican, or whatever else you wanna identify as H.R. 8 is being blocked entirely by republicans in the senate. Shocker

• Content Count:  908

10 minutes ago, Greggy G said:

The definition of "Mass Shooting" isn't universally agreed upon as there is no law that defines the term. The closest that comes to it is the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012 that defines "mass killings" but not mass shooting. However, major media outlets and other groups including CNN define mass shootings as "four or more shot (injured or killed) in a single incident, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter.'' So even though you say the term is typically referred to the extreme scenarios such as Parkland and the Las Vegas incident it's best to be careful with this assumption as many agree and/or are used to the way in which the media defines mass shootings and go along with it. 

I think you may have misread or misinterpreted what you had seen. I can't find anywhere mentioning over 200 school shootings but rather over 200 mass shootings as @Gentoolinked a source. I did find however a npr article recently written mentioning how many school shootings have taken place this year however, none of them are considered "mass shootings" (besides the latest texas shooting ofc) per the major media outlets definition. 

npr source - https://www.npr.org/2022/05/24/1101050970/2022-school-shootings-so-far

Anyway these latest tragedies (including the buffalo NY shooting) could have very easily been avoided through the passage of background checks like H.R. 8 and increasing the age that can purchase these weapons from 18 to 21. Sadly, whether you're a democrat, republican, or whatever else you wanna identify as H.R. 8 is being blocked entirely by republicans in the senate. Shocker

Right but i think its pretty safe to say when most Americans hear the term "Mass Shooting" they think of mass casualty events such as parkland, Las Vegas, etc, and not a gang shootout or violent altercation between two aggressors.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1654

3 minutes ago, Infinityward said:

Right but i think its pretty safe to say when most Americans hear the term "Mass Shooting" they think of mass casualty events such as parkland, Las Vegas, etc, and not a gang shootout or violent altercation between two aggressors.

Lol again, like I responded to you on discord I wasn’t arguing against what you had said rather I was clarifying on the term “mass shootings” agreed upon definition by major new outlets and those who watch them. In this sense it made sense for me to clarify on the definition as we were talking about the number of mass shootings and number of school shootings. 

• Content Count:  2167

5 hours ago, Gentoo said:

Any other countries are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. If your government is not founded on the principle that the government can and will fuck you in the ass - the government can and will fuck you in the ass. Hell, it still happens here anyways, but at least we theoretically have some safe guard if things get too bad.

Bro literally said any other country is irrelevant like you're the only country with freedom 💀

• Most americans don't own guns despite us having more guns than people in this country
  • Most americans who do own guns, own multiple, and most guns owned in America are pistols
  • Most americans are unsuitable to actually use firearms
  • There are literally counties in EU with mandatory military service, high gun ownership, and high ownership of high powered rifles

Legitimately countries like Finland are better trained, per capita more armed (because they have a higher SPREAD of guns rather than all the guns being owned by a select population in America), and per capita better armed than Americans because they don't have a gun fetish and own real rifles.

Does anyone here actually think small calibers used in guns like pistols do anything at all if they were up against the Guard or the military? Here's just how dumb the average American gun owner is. They actively spend thousands per decade on guns that would be used to fight the government while literally spending thousands more than that on taxes used to fund the military to have superiority over their own population. Does anyone here ACTUALLY think if the government went full autho that the population would even have a remote chance? Bro you literally armed them with the best jets, tanks, kevlar, rifles, tacticool gear, drones, satellites. Oh and after the military gets done with all that shit they give it to the local police forces in your very county so THEY have some of the best gear that's only 10 years old.

Americans really are the dumbest fucking people in the 1st world. Legit talking about preventing government authoritarianism while actively ensuring it would be successful if ever implemented.

So anyway, here's the average gun owners in America, dumbasses who stand on their porch and aim their guns at black people with the finger on the trigger:

spacer.png

The capitalists and government control you no matter what, and if you actually stepped up and tried to use guns to serve your personal needs you'd end up like the dead miners at Blair Mountain. Or more recently Waco.

edit: And sorry just to finally loop and tie this all up to my first post.

The problem here is you can get a gun in under 24 hours. You could literally be going thru a manic episode, get a gun, kill a bunch of kids, and then kill yourself. The only guns sold in America should be high powered rifles useful against military hard targets and not dumb shit like high caliber/high capacity pistols that are easily concealable and very useful against soft targets. If people do need pistols for self defense in dangerous parts of America the highest caliber should be .22 with max capacity of 5-7 bullets and require yearly gun safety training. If you have children you must also show receipt/proof of a proper gun storage safety locker.

• Like 1
Edited by Jazzyy

Reply to Thread