? servers

? players online

Earth shattering promotions

• Content Count:  2342

Been a long time in this community and I'm happy to have made it this far. I wouldn't be here without the support of everyone in the community to give me critical feedback which improved me as a member of this community as well as made me a better person IRL. I've learned so much stuff over the ~5 years I've been here.

I still remember last year when I was two months into A and wanted to ask for an early promotion to SA so I could apply for CA. I reached out to @Nishok about whether or not I should bother asking, and he gave me one piece of advice: "you never know unless you ask". So I did, and I got turned down LOL. But this piece of advice was actually really key in getting me through the ranks as time went on. I applied for CA and got it, AT 3 months later, IA 4 months later, and 3 months later: BD. The worst thing someone can say is "no", but the best thing they can say besides "yes" is "no, but here's what you can improve to turn that into a yes". Feedback is so important so that you can spend your time in staff growing as opposed to blindly trying to reach a position you want so you can enact the change you want to see. It's why I reached out to CAs and ATs as AM with feedback, and why my door is still open anytime anyone in the community wants to talk about their path in SG and what they hope to accomplish.

A few mentions as well. @eXtr3m3 and @Dominic , you guys are real ones. Since day 1 of CA (and even A/SA) both of you had my back by nudging me in the right direction and not being afraid to give feedback when I need it. Even though I'm BD now I'm still looking to both of you for advice and opinions :).

@idealist , you and I never got along well at the start but as time went on I think both of us grew respect for one another which I've grown to appreciate. Even today you didn't hesitate to share your opinion on something. I don't think we'll ever agree on everything, but your harsh (but often true) criticisms have been a major factor in getting me to where and who I am today.

@Nishok and @Liam Brown, both of you gave me a shot at TT and offered great advice even when I asked dumb questions. Enabling me to contribute in the way I know best (front-end) has helped me avoid burnout and given me something to toy on in my spare time. Hope to see our latest endeavours come to fruition soon ;).

I definitely missed a ton of people above, but you guys and gals know who you are.

My last piece of advice:

Caution said many years ago in some fossilized forum post that many people look at BDs and think they can do a better job. It's just one of the things that comes with a leadership position and is unavoidable. But what is avoidable is how you use that feedback or opinion you have. I talked about my door always being open above, and I mean it. I or the Board might make a decision you're not happy with and that's fine, but let us know!!! At the end of the day we're in this community together, and a community only works if we're open with one another.

Thanks y'all :)

EDIT: Also wanted to do a quick shoutout to @Gator . Miss us staying up for hours working on [REDACTED] :p. Thanks for your honest advice :) hope everything's well on your end.

• Like 18
Edited by fantastic

• Content Count:  5377

Been a long time in this community and I'm happy to have made it this far. I wouldn't be here without the support of everyone in the community to give me critical feedback which improved me as a member of this community as well as made me a better person IRL. I've learned so much stuff over the ~5 years I've been here.

I still remember last year when I was two months into A and wanted to ask for an early promotion to SA so I could apply for CA. I reached out to @Nishok about whether or not I should bother asking, and he gave me one piece of advice: "you never know unless you ask". So I did, and I got turned down LOL. But this piece of advice was actually really key in getting me through the ranks as time went on. I applied for CA and got it, AT 3 months later, IA 4 months later, and 3 months later: BD. The worst thing someone can say is "no", but the best thing they can say besides "yes" is "no, but here's what you can improve to turn that into a yes". Feedback is so important so that you can spend your time in staff growing as opposed to blindly trying to reach a position you want so you can enact the change you want to see. It's why I reached out to CAs and ATs as AM with feedback, and why my door is still open anytime anyone in the community wants to talk about their path in SG and what they hope to accomplish.

A few mentions as well. @eXtr3m3 and @Dominic , you guys are real ones. Since day 1 of CA (and even A/SA) both of you had my back by nudging me in the right direction and not being afraid to give feedback when I need it. Even though I'm BD now I'm still looking to both of you for advice and opinions :).

@idealist , you and I never got along well at the start but as time went on I think both of us grew respect for one another which I've grown to appreciate. Even today you didn't hesitate to share your opinion on something. I don't think we'll ever agree on everything, but your harsh (but often true) criticisms have been a major factor in getting me to where and who I am today.

@Nishok and @Liam Brown, both of you gave me a shot at TT and offered great advice even when I asked dumb questions. Enabling me to contribute in the way I know best (front-end) has helped me avoid burnout and given me something to toy on in my spare time. Hope to see our latest endeavours come to fruition soon ;).

I definitely missed a ton of people above, but you guys and gals know who you are.

My last piece of advice:

Caution said many years ago in some fossilized forum post that many people look at BDs and think they can do a better job. It's just one of the things that comes with a leadership position and is unavoidable. But what is avoidable is how you use that feedback or opinion you have. I talked about my door always being open above, and I mean it. I or the Board might make a decision you're not happy with and that's fine, but let us know!!! At the end of the day we're in this community together, and a community only works if we're open with one another.

Thanks y'all :)

lets talk about my path fam :thumb:

• Like 4

Reply to Thread